Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we are likely at least six months away from Apple unveiling the so-called iPhone 13 lineup, rumors about the devices are starting to accumulate, so we've put together this recap of everything that is expected so far.

iPhone-13-Notch-Feature2.jpg

The upcoming iPhone 13 lineup will consist of the same four models and the same screen sizes as the iPhone 12 lineup, according to reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, suggesting that there will be a 5.4-inch iPhone 13 mini, 6.1-inch iPhone 13, 6.1-inch iPhone 13 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 13 Pro Max. These names are simply placeholders, as Apple could certainly decide to use iPhone 12s branding or entirely different naming.

Key features expected across all four iPhone 13 models:
  • A15 chip: A faster system-on-a-chip in the next iPhones is a virtual guarantee, with the iPhone 13 lineup expected to be equipped with an Apple-designed A15 chip manufactured by TSMC based on its 5nm+ process.
  • Smaller notch: The notch that houses the front camera and Face ID components will be reduced in size on iPhone 13 models, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Apple has achieved this feat by integrating various Face ID sensors into a single module, according to Taiwanese publication DigiTimes.
  • Larger batteries: iPhone 13 models will have larger battery capacities than iPhone 12 models, thanks to some space-saving design choices inside the upcoming devices, such as an integrated SIM card slot on the logic board, according to Kuo. iPhone 13 models are expected to be slightly heavier as a result.
  • Sensor-shift camera stabilization: Apple plans to expand sensor-shift image stabilization to all iPhone 13 models, according to Kuo and DigiTimes. This likely means that the iPhone 12 Pro Max's Wide lens with sensor-shift will be expanded to the entire iPhone 13 lineup. The technology stabilizes the camera's sensor instead of the lens for even greater image stabilization and improved photo quality.
  • 5G enhancements: iPhone 13 models will be equipped with Qualcomm's Snapdragon X60 modem, according to Kuo and DigiTimes. Built on a 5nm process, the X60 packs higher power efficiency into a smaller footprint compared to the 7nm-based Snapdragon X55 modem used in iPhone 12 models, which could contribute to longer battery life. With the X60 modem, iPhone 13 models would also be able to aggregate 5G data from both mmWave and sub-6GHz bands simultaneously to achieve an optimal combination of high-speed and low-latency network coverage.
  • Wi-Fi 6E: iPhone 13 models will be the first to support Wi-Fi 6E, according to Barclays analysts Blayne Curtis and Thomas O'Malley. Wi-Fi 6E offers the features and capabilities of Wi-Fi 6, including higher performance, lower latency, and faster data rates, extended into the 6 GHz band. The additional spectrum will provide a lot more airspace beyond existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, resulting in increased bandwidth and less interference for devices that support Wi-Fi 6E.
  • Lightning connector: Despite previously predicting that Apple would release a high-end iPhone without a Lightning connector in 2021, Kuo recently said there will be "no portless design" this year. Kuo expects iPhones to continue using Apple's proprietary Lightning connector for the "foreseeable future."
  • mmWave expansion: A supplier-focused report from the Economic Daily News suggested that iPhone 13 models may support ultra-fast mmWave 5G in additional countries outside of the United States.
New features expected to be exclusive to the two iPhone 13 Pro models:
  • 120Hz display: iPhone 13 Pro models will be equipped with low-power LTPO displays with support for a 120Hz refresh rate, according to Kuo, display industry analyst Ross Young, and leakers such as Max Weinbach and Jon Prosser. A 120Hz refresh rate would result in smoother or more "buttery" content and scrolling. Like the 2017 and newer iPad Pro, iPhone 13 Pro models will likely have a power-preserving "ProMotion" feature with a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz.
  • Ultra Wide lens improvements: iPhone 13 Pro models will feature an upgraded Ultra Wide camera lens with a wider ƒ/1.8 aperture and autofocus, compared to ƒ/2.4 and fixed focus on iPhone 12 models, according to Barclays analysts and Kuo. The Ultra Wide lens will also be gaining sensor-shift stabilization, according to DigiTimes.
Apple typically announces its new iPhone lineup in September, but the iPhone 12 lineup was unveiled in October, a delay that was attributed to the pandemic. Bookmark our regularly updated iPhone 13 roundup linked below to keep track of the latest rumors.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Rumor Recap: Smaller Notch, Larger Batteries, 120Hz for Pro Models, Improved 5G, Wi-Fi 6E, and More

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
So, with a couple of exceptions, basically the same things "experts" have been predicting for years. Eventually they'll be right about one of them, right?

SnakeEater1993

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2020
I’m glad Apple continues to improve battery life in the iPhone every year

Hopefully 5G in the iPhone 13 will be much improved over the 12 as well as more coverage throughout the country

Definitely looking forward to this getting released in September this year!
Apart from 12 pro max the rest 12 series have worse battery life than their predecessors...

Billdoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2021
Let’s not forget about under-the-screen Touch ID. That guy on Twitter L0vetodream seems to be pushing that pretty heavily so it seems likely that’ll be happening this year too, he’s almost always accurate in his leaks. Bringing Touch ID back + the addition of a 120Hz display would make this year’s iPhone the best in years. Only two things I’ve really been looking forward to.

Last edited by a moderator:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Not sold on needing (or even wanting) 120hz on a 6" screen. Sure I have 120hz on my iPad Pro, but to be honest, it is a minimal feature even on the bigger screen. Having purchased the 12 base model this year after owning an 11 Pro, I can say Apple will REALLY need to sell me on buying anything other than the core iPhone model when I upgrade annually via my AUP.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
What about Touch ID under the display? In the middle of a pandemic, where it is more and more difficult to unlock the phone wearing masks, I won't understand Apple not implementing it on the 2021 lineup. I understand that they didn't implement it on the iPhone 12 lineup because the design of an iPhone takes years. But hell, even on the Side button, like the iPad Air 4!

I was seriously thinking on getting this year's iPhone mini, but if we have to rely only on FaceID to unlock the iPhone, I am waiting yet another year. And nope, I don't have an Apple Watch.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I'm in, this will replace my 11Pro. I guess I will stick with the 2 year cycle...unless the 14Pro has some really cool stuff, then I'll got the annual thing again. As far as the 120hz, I don't really care as I don't watch anything other than youtube on it.....don't do movies or gaming.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

While we are likely at least six months away from Apple unveiling the so-called iPhone 13 lineup, rumors about the devices are starting to accumulate, so we've put together this recap of everything that is expected so far.

iPhone-13-Notch-Feature2.jpg

The upcoming iPhone 13 lineup will consist of the same four models and the same screen sizes as the iPhone 12 lineup, according to reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, suggesting that there will be a 5.4-inch iPhone 13 mini, 6.1-inch iPhone 13, 6.1-inch iPhone 13 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 13 Pro Max. These names are simply placeholders, as Apple could certainly decide to use iPhone 12s branding or entirely different naming.

Key features expected across all four iPhone 13 models:
  • A15 chip: A faster system-on-a-chip in the next iPhones is a virtual guarantee, with the iPhone 13 lineup expected to be equipped with an Apple-designed A15 chip manufactured by TSMC based on its 5nm+ process.
  • Smaller notch: The notch that houses the front camera and Face ID components will be reduced in size on iPhone 13 models, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Apple has achieved this feat by integrating various Face ID sensors into a single module, according to Taiwanese publication DigiTimes.
  • Larger batteries: iPhone 13 models will have larger battery capacities than iPhone 12 models, thanks to some space-saving design choices inside the upcoming devices, such as an integrated SIM card slot on the logic board, according to Kuo. iPhone 13 models are expected to be slightly heavier as a result.
  • Sensor-shift camera stabilization: Apple plans to expand sensor-shift image stabilization to all iPhone 13 models, according to Kuo and DigiTimes. This likely means that the iPhone 12 Pro Max's Wide lens with sensor-shift will be expanded to the entire iPhone 13 lineup. The technology stabilizes the camera's sensor instead of the lens for even greater image stabilization and improved photo quality.
  • 5G enhancements: iPhone 13 models will be equipped with Qualcomm's Snapdragon X60 modem, according to Kuo and DigiTimes. Built on a 5nm process, the X60 packs higher power efficiency into a smaller footprint compared to the 7nm-based Snapdragon X55 modem used in iPhone 12 models, which could contribute to longer battery life. With the X60 modem, iPhone 13 models would also be able to aggregate 5G data from both mmWave and sub-6GHz bands simultaneously to achieve an optimal combination of high-speed and low-latency network coverage.
  • Wi-Fi 6E: iPhone 13 models will be the first to support Wi-Fi 6E, according to Barclays analysts Blayne Curtis and Thomas O'Malley. Wi-Fi 6E offers the features and capabilities of Wi-Fi 6, including higher performance, lower latency, and faster data rates, extended into the 6 GHz band. The additional spectrum will provide a lot more airspace beyond existing 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, resulting in increased bandwidth and less interference for devices that support Wi-Fi 6E.
  • Lightning connector: Despite previously predicting that Apple would release a high-end iPhone without a Lightning connector in 2021, Kuo recently said there will be "no portless design" this year. Kuo expects iPhones to continue using Apple's proprietary Lightning connector for the "foreseeable future."
  • mmWave expansion: A supplier-focused report from the Economic Daily News suggested that iPhone 13 models may support ultra-fast mmWave 5G in additional countries outside of the United States.
New features expected to be exclusive to the two iPhone 13 Pro models:
  • 120Hz display: iPhone 13 Pro models will be equipped with low-power LTPO displays with support for a 120Hz refresh rate, according to Kuo, display industry analyst Ross Young, and leakers such as Max Weinbach and Jon Prosser. A 120Hz refresh rate would result in smoother or more "buttery" content and scrolling. Like the 2017 and newer iPad Pro, iPhone 13 Pro models will likely have a power-preserving "ProMotion" feature with a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz.
  • Ultra Wide lens improvements: iPhone 13 Pro models will feature an upgraded Ultra Wide camera lens with a wider ƒ/1.8 aperture and autofocus, compared to ƒ/2.4 and fixed focus on iPhone 12 models, according to Barclays analysts and Kuo. The Ultra Wide lens will also be gaining sensor-shift stabilization, according to DigiTimes.
Apple typically announces its new iPhone lineup in September, but the iPhone 12 lineup was unveiled in October, a delay that was attributed to the pandemic. Bookmark our regularly updated iPhone 13 roundup linked below to keep track of the latest rumors.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Rumor Recap: Smaller Notch, Larger Batteries, 120Hz for Pro Models, Improved 5G, Wi-Fi 6E, and More
Where do I hear this before.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
What about Touch ID under the display? In the middle of a pandemic, where it is more and more difficult to unlock the phone wearing masks, I won't understand Apple not implementing it on the 2021 lineup. I understand that they didn't implement it on the iPhone 12 lineup because the design of an iPhone takes years. But hell, even on the Side button, like the iPad Air 4!

And nope, I don't have an Apple Watch.
It would be a handy thing for those without the Apple watch. I have it and can't imagine not having again...I use it to pay for anything anywhere they accept contactless payment. Also for phone calls with AirPod Pro.

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I’m glad Apple continues to improve battery life in the iPhone every year

Hopefully 5G in the iPhone 13 will be much improved over the 12 as well as more coverage throughout the country

Definitely looking forward to this getting released in September this year!
If we forget Pro Max, technically speaking Apple made iPhone 12 models have a worse battery than in iPhone 11 series. For example my iPhone 11 Pro has a much better battery than iPhone 12 Pro. So yeah, last year they made the battery worse so that they can this year say it's improved.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
and I thought buying the 12 pro max would hold me over for a couple of years...

the 13 is much more than an S update!

Mods: didn't we also hear of stronger magnets for magsafe too??
Is it?
To be it’s actually just a 12S rather than 13.
very minimal tweaks here and there.

CentralOffice

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Held off this year since I want that 120Hz option. Probably get a 6.1" Pro I think the Max is just too large.

Reactions: subi257
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.