Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
What about Touch ID under the display? In the middle of a pandemic, where it is more and more difficult to unlock the phone wearing masks, I won't understand Apple not implementing it on the 2021 lineup. I understand that they didn't implement it on the iPhone 12 lineup because the design of an iPhone takes years. But hell, even on the Side button, like the iPad Air 4!

I was seriously thinking on getting this year's iPhone mini, but if we have to rely only on FaceID to unlock the iPhone, I am waiting yet another year. And nope, I don't have an Apple Watch.
Well you just explained why in your last sentence... to make people buy an Apple Watch. The Apple Watch mask unlock works for me in the beta and I'm sure they will push that. I wear a mask at my restaurant and when I play for the symphony and when I go with my best friend to anywhere at Disney World and now... I wear my watch all the time when I didn't used to.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
After years with my launch iPhone X, I’m pretty sick of the notch. I actually use to like it, or not be bothered by it.

But lots of better looking phones now.
Exactly.
Can’t wait for this ugly and dated notch to go in history.
and I used to not care when I first got my iPhone X.
Just look how more modern and sleek Note 20 Ultra looks next to 12 Pro Max ..?

Attachments

• DE443BC2-73AA-470D-B4F5-65667400C5D8.jpeg
    DE443BC2-73AA-470D-B4F5-65667400C5D8.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,026

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
The "Notchies" will be disappointed. The notch isn't getting smaller, and it isn't going away.

Jon Prosser told me so in a dream. We were smoking the Ganj at a release party, and someone from iFixit was doing a reparability assessment on my brain. My skull was half open like Data in a Star Trek TNG episode.

The score was very low, but the Bo-Bo was the schiz....

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Exactly.
I feel like Apple kinda designed themselves into a corner with Face ID.

When the X was released, it made sense that an all-screen design would necessitate revamped biometrics. Other companies relocated the fingerprint sensor to the backs of their phones, which can be kinda awkward.

But Apple implicated facial recognition, touted it as more secure/quicker/better/whatever, and designed Animoji and depth-aware selfies around that notch.

Now even though more elegant solutions are available, the notch gets dragged along from year to year.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
  • Smaller notch: The notch that houses the front camera and Face ID components will be reduced in size on iPhone 13 models, ...

The problem isn't really a "notch", it's the "wings" of the screen that wrap around the sensors. The wings add nothing to my phone. They are an unnecessary distraction, an assymetrical anomaly. Those two tiny wings do not significantly add helpful screen real estate. Eliminate the wings, square off the top of the screen below the sensors, and give me back a fully useful display.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
Didn't they promise these things for the iphone12? lol

I was going to buy the iphone12, but will buy the 13mini since I'm still on the original iphone se. Glad I waited one more year. :)
I went from an original SE to a 12 Mini. Of course, battery life is better. But the size is so awkwardly large. One-handed operation goes away with a phone this big.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
I feel like Apple kinda designed themselves into a corner with Face ID.

When the X was released, it made sense that an all-screen design would necessitate revamped biometrics. Other companies relocated the fingerprint sensor to the backs of their phones, which can be kinda awkward.

But Apple implicated facial recognition, touted it as more secure/quicker/better/whatever, and designed Animoji and depth-aware selfies around that notch.

Now even though more elegant solutions are available, the notch gets dragged along from year to year.
I would love to see the FaceID somehow get moved to a behind/through the screen...and have TouchID sensor behind the screen. Then have then choice to use either....or both.

Reactions: AngerDanger

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2020
IMO, the 2nd-Gen Qualcomm 5G chip + Wi-Fi 6E support "should" be the two biggest Catalysts.

Next-Gen apps will be leveraging both, which will driven enthusiasm for both.
While 5G roll-out is fast enough, I find WiFi 6E (but also the base WiFi 6) to be slow in adoption by AP manufacturers.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
I’m probably in the minority but I’m less interested in 5G etc than anything else. I’m always on WiFi and if I am out WiFi hotspots are everywhere. Transit systems, stores, parks, etc.

I do hope they add Touch ID even if it’s not on the display but on the power button as with the iPad Air. That would be useful for those of us without an Apple Watch and in general.

Magsafe should be improved although it’s a feature I could live without. Seems there are more issues with it for some - not all of course.

The notch never bothered me but if they found a way to keep Face ID and sensors without it then great.

USB-C would be nice as a standardized cable across electronics is convenient to users and also beneficial to the environment - less need for a plethora of proprietary cables is a win/win but I realize it’s less water proof than lightning. The recently discovered patent for a MagSafe connection in lieu of a lightning port is interesting although I doubt Apple would go that route when they seem committed to MagSafe on the back of the device. If Apple goes port-less I do wonder what will happen if a device needs to be in DFU mode or an update bricks a devices, etc. Does a MagSafe cable connected to a Mac or PC offer the same connectivity as a lightning cable? This is also important as backing up Health app medical data is only possible to a Mac or PC with an encrypted backup.

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Exactly.

hey your note has a dead pixel in the screen. Oh wait it’s the hole punch camera.

I want to have a visible notch or an intact screen like my 8 Plus.

• Haha
Reactions: subi257

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
The problem isn't really a "notch", it's the "wings" of the screen that wrap around the sensors. The wings add nothing to my phone. They are an unnecessary distraction, an assymetrical anomaly. Those two tiny wings do not significantly add helpful screen real estate. Eliminate the wings, square off the top of the screen below the sensors, and give me back a fully useful display.
Actually, they do give more usable screen real estate, that is where ancillary info goes...signal strength, battery level, etc. That gets that info out of the way, otherwise there would be a black bar at the top and the screen size would be even smaller...without making the overall device bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.