Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I hope this means the batter will be bigger in the mini.

I got the 12 Pro Max to try a big phone. Think I’m happy to go back already.

0lf

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2016
True, but low light on a phone (even an iPhone) is quite different from low light on a DSLR. Noise kicks in very soon on iPhone's RAW files even with relatively abundant light, although it isn't always obvious on Camera app photos due to the strong noise reduction algorithm applied to all photos.

I doubt we're nowhere near the point where more pixels is a better compromise than bigger pixels.
May be. What we saw with iPhone 12 vs 12 pro max comparison in good light is that the larger pixels brought nothing in this situation. May be it is because of Apple image processing. On the other hand, increasing the pixel count without decreasing the pixel size always improve both detail in daylight and low light performance.

Keeping the iPhone 12 1.4um pixel size, the 1/2” sensor from the 12pro max would have had around 18Mpixels, with, obviously, better low light performance and better daylight details than the iPhone 12 sensor. Thus, because the 12PM does not show more details in daylight than the 12, more, smaller pixels on the 12PM would have increase the amount of detail and the cropability. 16Mp at 1.5um also fit...

May be the reason why Apple is not increasing pixel count has nothing to do with low light. May be it is due to image pipeline limitation. Their processing is based on a lot of frame, and limiting the sensor to 12Mp limit the amount of data in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
um obviously I want to be able to you know...use the phone? tapping the keyboard as the phone wobbles back and forth on the camera glass is cool 👍
I’m assuming you would hold it while using the phone, and put it face down when not using it. Playing with the phone sitting on the table is rare. It’s bad for your neck too. In that case, get an eraser and put it behind it to make a stand. That’s what I do when watching YouTube videos.

Also, be careful with scratches if you put it face down. Make sure there is no dust or tiny rocks on the table. Rock is harder than tempered glass, so it will scratch.

Reactions: Td1970

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m assuming you would hold it while using the phone, and put it face down when not using it. Playing with the phone sitting on the table is rare. It’s bad for your neck too. In that case, get an eraser and put it behind it to make a stand. That’s what I do when watching YouTube videos.

Also, be careful with scratches if you put it face down. Make sure there is no dust or tiny rocks on the table. Rock is harder than tempered glass, so it will scratch.
I think there’s a vertical stand... with a grippy surface that makes the iPhone stay there. I think Satechi makes one of those. Maybe it is a good solution for @sibicle if he/she wants to use it without a case.

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Keeping the iPhone 12 1.4um pixel size, the 1/2” sensor from the 12pro max would have had around 18Mpixels, with, obviously, better low light performance and better daylight details than the iPhone 12 sensor.
But worse low light performance than the actual iPhone 12 Pro Max they released, with the 1.7 μm pixel size.

Joe`s Phone

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Thanks for the summary. I haven't looked at the iPhone 13 yet, but it seems to have some cool features. I've had the iPhone 7 for 4 years now and haven't gotten any newer models because I thought the phones were just too expensive. But now it's time for me to upgrade. But I think it will be more likely the iPhone 11 for me. :apple:

Reactions: Populus

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
Looks interesting, the only problem I have with those large bumpouts is the case feels bulkier to protect it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.