Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
OP what is the difference between people upgrading from a 12 to the 14 vs you upgrading from the 6 plus to 8 plus? Especially after you said after the 7, you wouldn’t trust Apple to put out a full functioning product?

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
The 6 Plus was Apple's last sensible phone. It was large enough to read but (arguably) light and thin enough to carry.

After the 6 Plus, the phones started getting heavier...and heavier and fatter and heavier and fatter...until the current generation, which is the heaviest and fattest of all iPhones. They're just ridiculous. If you drop a Max on your head while reading in bed, you're likely to injure yourself considerably.

Anyway, the direction is clear for next year's iPhone:

brick-in-back-pocket-1-1513432.jpg

If it was the last sensible phone why didn’t you get a new battery for it, or keep it regardless of battery or any other issue.

You literally said “I have the 6 Plus and love it. Tried the 6S Plus and 7 Plus for extended periods, and both phones made me love my 6 Plus even more. No need for an 8 Plus or X.”

And yet you went to get an 8 Plus anyway?

RogerKmilw

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
My final thought on this subject is isn’t it great that Apple gives us options? This year’s iPhone not to your taste? Happy with your older phone? No problem, for a reasonable fee Apple will replace the battery for you if needed.

I cherish my Apple devices, they make my life easier and smoother. I understand one can’t be the bride at every wedding & I can’t get every new device but I take great pleasure in watching Apple events & seeing people here getting excited about their new purchases. Seeing joy makes me happy.

In closing, one can also not be the the corpse at every funeral…. so on that note I consider this thread is basically DOA, enjoy your 8+ madam.
Thank you for wrapping this up, couldn’t have said it better.

Quarric

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Must be nice to be so privileged that you can be that much of an ignorant mood hoover.
My phone is one of the few bits of tech, if not the only one, that doesn’t come with a premium price tag simply because it’s labelled as assistive. I pay the exact same price as everyone else. On the other hand, an accessible tape measure cost me £60 yes really, that thing you can buy for a couple quid.
My useless gadget is currently the reason the plug breaking on my electronic magnifier is an inconvenience and not a complete nightmare. Need to check my post? Use my phone, need to read cooking instructions? Use my phone, want to read a book? It’s the phone again. This thing has saved me thousands not buying separate bits of equipment or software probably over the years since I got my first one, a 4S.
It has genuinely made my life easier. I’m generally not a yearly upgrader and I’m not getting the 14 series either. I am looking at getting a 2nd hand 13pro though, because I need something with more battery then my mini, and because I might actually find a use for the LiDAR Scanner.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
The 6 Plus was Apple's last sensible phone. It was large enough to read but (arguably) light and thin enough to carry.

After the 6 Plus, the phones started getting heavier...and heavier and fatter and heavier and fatter...until the current generation, which is the heaviest and fattest of all iPhones. They're just ridiculous. If you drop a Max on your head while reading in bed, you're likely to injure yourself considerably.

What I find interesting is that you are hung up on weight and size of the current phones and yet you admittedly use an 8 Plus which is 1) taller 2) wider 3) thicker 4) heavier than the regular iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and iPhone 14 *14 is thicker by .01”. So, is your issue only with pro models?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
Was it necessary for your to upgrade to the 8+ when your 6+ checked off everything on your list? Sounds like you don't practice what you preach.. I also know that you make a few threads like this every year and then disappear until the next phones come out.. See you next year!

Reactions: chikorita157

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017

The 6 plus is almost universally regarded as the worst iPhone that Apple ever released. If you are going to troll, you have to understand that making it obvious like this just doesn't work. (although 19 pages of replies rather proves me wrong on that)

BlueandSilver

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
I’m curious now. What do you need from the iPhone 14 that your iPhone 13PM doesn’t already provide for your business? If the answer is battery life then Apple let you buy a new battery btw
In this case, the battery is not improved enough to make a difference. My 13 Pro Max is still perfect for the job. :)

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I'm surprised at the staying power of this thread. Clearly a lot of people (~164 at this count) liked the original post, and then a bunch of other people got their ego hurt or something and lashed out.

I would consider it a strength when a discussion forum hosts differing opinions. Many here seem not to want to hear anything but "I love iPhone and I want it" sentiments. There used to be fan magazines for audiences like that.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
I'm surprised at the staying power of this thread. Clearly a lot of people (~164 at this count) liked the original post, and then a bunch of other people got their ego hurt or something and lashed out.

I would consider it a strength when a discussion forum hosts differing opinions. Many here seem not to want to hear anything but "I love iPhone and I want it" sentiments. There used to be fan magazines for audiences like that.
We just wanna know why you upgraded from a 6+ to an 8+ after saying you wouldn’t need an X or 8+

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio

If anyone got their feelings hurt, it could be from the condescending tone of your post. What was the point of your post other than to be smug about your decision to keep the iPhone you’re happy with and wet blanket anyone excited about the upgrade. I would in no way take the number of replies as any sort of validation of your post. Quite the contrary in my opinion.

I’m very happy with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I hope anyone else who upgrades has the same fun and smooth experience I’ve had!

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

Yes, but it's a two way street with that. When you post a preachy OP to start with, then the responses
you get back should be predictable, should they not?

It's one thing if this was a "this is my opinion" thread, but it's not. You are pushing your personal situation
universally on everyone else, as if every person should do exactly what you do (eg. "just Say No").

Meanwhile in the real world, these iPhones are sold out most places, and I'd imagine many are enjoying them.
Some of the minority that don't enjoy them also post in these forums (eg. the iPhone 14 Pro return thread).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Meanwhile in the real world, these iPhones are sold out most places, and I'd imagine many are enjoying them.
Some of the minority that don't enjoy them also post in these forums (eg. the iPhone 14 Pro return thread).
The iPhone has the luxury of being both a mainstream cell phone brand, a device that remains popular and essential every day to millions and millions of people, AND a super fancy, lusted-after tech product that drives the industry forward almost on a yearly basis. That's not even to mention the Android switching that continues to go on year after year. In some ways, owning an iPhone (or any smartphone) is just kind of programmed into people's budgets.

The notion that it's the same exact customers year after year running over each other to the Apple Store to yell "First!" is childish and out of date. I guess in the days when the very definition of "smartphone" was first being disrupted by Apple it was in fashion to rip on the iPhone every single year because there was that contingency that never wants Apple to succeed. Problem is, that contingency largely doesn't care anymore. Apple already won a lot of those battles, if not the entire war.

Reactions: davedvdy

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
The notion that it's the same exact customers year after year running over each other to the Apple Store to yell "First!" is childish and out of date.

Out of date by many years, at least here. I haven't witnessed astronomically long lines since the iPhone 6.
Granted, last year was worse than this year even for an Appointment line, but nothing compared to the past.

Other options are likely being explored more so now anyway---online orders including Express/2 hour delivery from an Apple Store. The "fight" is invisible and online, as you can easily lose out on whatever is in your online shopping cart. This year at 5:30a I lost out on a Pro Max (predictable since the preorder started 30 min before I jumped on, but I misjudged the demand), but I thankfully got one secured at 6:30a launch day lol.

Reactions: spiderman0616

belindaquek

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
I sense jealousy from the thread starter. Say, why don’t you just go back to Nokia? They are even better than your current iPhone 8 and battery can last you for days! And best, they are cheap!

I don’t see what’s the point of having this thread. You don’t see the point in upgrading your phone? Well, good for you then.

For your info, I am very happy with my 14 pro (I came from 11pro). Yes, it’s not a need but a want. So? This is my money. I choose how I want to spend it on and one thing for sure, I have no regrets spending it on the 14pro

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Apples too "Smart" when it comes to applying pressure to its costumers,

But Apple is also very diligent when it comes to being "Right" for the people

So to say that all of these price hikes and yearly upgrades is all because of ourselves and what makes us happy.

People are comfortable when it comes to buying the next big $1,000 upgrade that they call it Pro/ Pro Max

Apple is setting the trend for the cellular market not because they want to or because they are greedy but because that's the best way to serve out their brand. And much more.
Sorry, disagree. Their “upgrades” are minuscule. Certainly not worth 1k usd per year, or even every other year. Think about it, you’re paying 1k+/- for an upgrade that’s barely noticeable. I have money, I earn 5x more than my husband but I don’t like throw away money on something that really has no benefit. Though my husband just ordered me 14 dual nano from Hong Kong 😀😀😀😀 it’s his money so I don’t care 😀😀😀😀

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
OP’s love story with the 6 continues - “Another thing the 6 had going for it was outstanding call quality. I guess few use their phones as phones anymore. But unless you use airpods, the phones after the 6 all had call quality that was worse for the receiver of your calls”

We still want to know why then you dumped it for the 8+. And what’s the difference between going from a 11/12 to the 14.

Reactions: chikorita157

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
OP’s love story with the 6 continues - “Another thing the 6 had going for it was outstanding call quality. I guess few use their phones as phones anymore. But unless you use airpods, the phones after the 6 all had call quality that was worse for the receiver of your calls”

We still want to know why then you dumped it for the 8+. And what’s the difference between going from a 11/12 to the 14.

The 6 Plus in particular was mentioned as the best iPhone to the OP in another post. The one iPhone more prone to bending (Lew from Unbox Therapy likely got his career start from his bend gate video), and touch disease.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Sorry, disagree. Their “upgrades” are minuscule. Certainly not worth 1k usd per year, or even every other year. Think about it, you’re paying 1k+/- for an upgrade that’s barely noticeable. I have money, I earn 5x more than my husband but I don’t like throw away money on something that really has no benefit. Though my husband just ordered me 14 dual nano from Hong Kong 😀😀😀😀 it’s his money so I don’t care 😀😀😀😀

To say the retail price of every upgrade from Apple is not worth the price- is wrong for many reasons. One of the reasons is because product demand with other companies aside of Apple is too strong and any devaluation of price would be inaccurate in terms of market value.

It takes me a long time to expect the next big change from Apple, only cause Apple is giving the proper value of technology that it takes many years for such little depreciation out of these devices. Which is good cause Apple cares about the people so that makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.