Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
To say the retail price of every upgrade from Apple is not worth the price- is wrong for many reasons. One of the reasons is because product demand with other companies aside of Apple is too strong and any devaluation of price would be inaccurate in terms of market value.

It takes me a long time to expect the next big change from Apple, only cause Apple is giving the proper value of technology that it takes many years for such little depreciation out of these devices. Which is good cause Apple cares about the people so that makes sense.
No one here said anything about there being a problem with the retail price. Take a moment and have another read. As you will discover that the thread discussion is “Is it really worth spending 1k+/- every one or two years for such minuscule minor barley noticeable upgrades.” The answer is “No” for those who don’t think it’s worth it. It’s not a good or bad thing, or a right or wrong thing. It’s a whatever makes you happy thing. But I can see how it can be a problem for those with buyers remorse.

Reactions: rjw1678

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
No one here said anything about there being a problem with the retail price. Take a moment and have another read. As you will discover that the thread discussion is “Is it really worth spending 1k+/- every one or two years for such minuscule minor barley noticeable upgrades.” The answer is “No” for those who don’t think it’s worth it. It’s not a good or bad thing, or a right or wrong thing. It’s a whatever makes you happy thing. But I can see how it can be a problem for those with buyers remorse.

Yeah, and judging from some of the topics on this forum lately, it looks like there's been a lot of buyer's remorse with the 14.

I also noticed the news reports from Apple about cutting back on production due to weaker-than-expected demand.

No surprise. Release after release tests the "bigger, fatter, heavier" theme, and users are just getting sick of this ridiculousness.

At this point an Apple innovation would be producing a phone that people can actually carry and hold comfortably.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Apple has decreased production of the less popular iPhone 14 and increased production of the Pro and Pro Max. Apparently the larger, more expensive models are in demand with a wait time currently out to November.

• Love
Reactions: fatTribble

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
Yeah, and judging from some of the topics on this forum lately, it looks like there's been a lot of buyer's remorse with the 14.

I also noticed the news reports from Apple about cutting back on production due to weaker-than-expected demand.

No surprise. Release after release tests the "bigger, fatter, heavier" theme, and users are just getting sick of this ridiculousness.

At this point an Apple innovation would be producing a phone that people can actually carry and hold comfortably.
Everybody’s buying the big phone that’s why it sold out .. iPhone Mini And 14 no one care about

• Love

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple has decreased production of the less popular iPhone 14 and increased production of the Pro and Pro Max. Apparently the larger, more expensive models are in demand with a wait time currently out to November.

I think mobile phone sales are down generally overall though. I don’t think iPhone users are suddenly en masse buying the more expensive Pro models. We don’t really know what the supply quantities were between models this year either.

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
Another reviewer says no to iPhone 14:

You keep beating the dead horse, just give it up already. It's obvious you are jealous, although the regular iPhone 14 is a waste of sand since it's almost the same phone as the regular 13. 14 Pro on the other hand is an upgrade, especially from a 11 Pro. I decided to upgrade to spite against haters (sarcasm), although I am on a 3 year upgrade cycle, never really make sense to upgrade every year, let alone two years. Not to mention, since I am going into the office, I'm using my phone more often with the commute to the office, so the upgrade makes sense.

But yes, you need to get a hobby or something and enjoy life. There is more to life than just chastising people's decision to get a new iPhone and keep hating on it. As mentioned people, it's their choice, so it's not worth complaining about it. As the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022

”Every year“ - the writer is already an idiot. Displaying failures in critical thinking, self-control, and ability to consider anything outside their selfish desires.

Vapid articles invoking Steve Jobs daughter aren’t making any point.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Everybody has to decide for themselves if any particular iphone is the right iphone for them. I decided for us the iphone pro max (2x) is the right phone. Based on current rumors the iphone 15 is the iphone 14s, iphone 13ss or iphone 12sss, depending on how pedantic one wants to be.

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
For me, upgrading would actually be a downgrade for the following reasons:
1. Eye-straining screen. For example, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eye-strain-while-using-iphone-x-and-up.2085427/
There are many more such threads on MacRumors, Reddit, Ledstrain etc.
iMac 2017 was the first device ever I couldn't use because of eyestrain and headaches, and all the newer Apple devices I tried in the store were causing similar symptoms.

This would be enough already, but there are many more things that would stop me from buying a new iPhone.

2. No headphone jack. It may seem like a small change, disguised by Apple marketing as a technological advancement, but the truth is that it was a consumer-hostile move to force into buying AirPods, a disposable (non-replaceable battery) and expensive product with limited compatibility with other platforms. On the other hand, 3.5 mm EarBuds have a balanced sound, are reliable, cheap ($17) and compatible (except for the buttons) with any device having a jack: Windows, iOS, Android, MP3 player etc. Not to mention that the wired sound/speech recognition is of better quality.
A good analysis of why it was done:

3. Poor design choices. New phones are large, heavy, non-pocketable, uncomfortable to handle with one hand, have camera bumps, and are just plain ugly due to the notch/island. A major reason for me to buy the 1st gen SE was its beauty and ergonomics.

4. Recent iPhones have been programmed to reject 3rd party repairs. As an example, here is an analysis regarding iPhone 14:
If anything breaks, you'd have to pay high Apple prices. And if in several years Apple decides to stop providing parts for your phone, you will not even be able to replace a battery or a screen, and hence would be forced into buying a new phone.

belindaquek

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
Erm actually, what is the point of this thread in the first place? You’re happy with your iPhone 8, that’s really good for you! No need to post articles that say the phone is bad.

I don’t really see what you’re trying to prove by bashing 14 series. It’s either you are really bored or just jealous. No?

Reactions: chikorita157

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Erm actually, what is the point of this thread in the first place? You’re happy with your iPhone 8, that’s really good for you! No need to post articles that say the phone is bad.

I don’t really see what you’re trying to prove by bashing 14 series. It’s either you are really bored or just jealous. No?

I think there is definitely a certain element of jealousy they don’t have a newer phone than they have. I think all the bravado of telling us they’ve got an iPhone 8 is masking the fact they are angry they can’t upgrade.

Also notice the OP never discusses or debates anything. Threads are made and occasional statements of personal opinion are left, but never any engagement of conversation. A reactionary type of poster who feeds off negative responses I would say.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
For me, upgrading would actually be a downgrade for the following reasons:
1. Eye-straining screen. For example, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eye-strain-while-using-iphone-x-and-up.2085427/
There are many more such threads on MacRumors, Reddit, Ledstrain etc.
iMac 2017 was the first device ever I couldn't use because of eyestrain and headaches, and all the newer Apple devices I tried in the store were causing similar symptoms.

This would be enough already, but there are many more things that would stop me from buying a new iPhone.

2. No headphone jack. It may seem like a small change, disguised by Apple marketing as a technological advancement, but the truth is that it was a consumer-hostile move to force into buying AirPods, a disposable (non-replaceable battery) and expensive product with limited compatibility with other platforms. On the other hand, 3.5 mm EarBuds have a balanced sound, are reliable, cheap ($17) and compatible (except for the buttons) with any device having a jack: Windows, iOS, Android, MP3 player etc. Not to mention that the wired sound/speech recognition is of better quality.
A good analysis of why it was done:

3. Poor design choices. New phones are large, heavy, non-pocketable, uncomfortable to handle with one hand, have camera bumps, and are just plain ugly due to the notch/island. A major reason for me to buy the 1st gen SE was its beauty and ergonomics.

4. Recent iPhones have been programmed to reject 3rd party repairs. As an example, here is an analysis regarding iPhone 14:
If anything breaks, you'd have to pay high Apple prices. And if in several years Apple decides to stop providing parts for your phone, you will not even be able to replace a battery or a screen, and hence would be forced into buying a new phone.

The headphone jack is done son. Gone the way of the floppy disk and CD/DVD Drive. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Providing parts? The iPhone or any smartphone is not a pickup truck.
Like getting a water pump for a 2004 F250.
Getting parts.

If y’all think you’re getting ripped off just don’t buy it it’s that simple.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021

I don’t know why anyone would take the opinions of others on any of the threads here personally, after all the discussions are about the inanimate objects created by the great Kaiju🦖😀

belindaquek

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
I don’t know why anyone would take the opinions of others on any of the threads here personally, after all the discussions are about the inanimate objects created by the great Kaiju🦖😀
Hahahahaha! You got me laughing there. I believe if both of you dislike the phone so much, why even come to this forum, particularly the iPhone section? Care to answer my question? What are you trying to prove by starting this thread? 😂

belindaquek

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
And honestly, I hope the thread starter can continue with her iPhone 8 for the next 5years and not change to 14 in the future. I think I remember seeing someone mentioned she was boasting how iPhone 6 was so much better than 8 but look what now? 😂

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don’t “take” the opinions, but this is a discussion board after all and irrational thoughts sometimes rule the day. In the end I buy what I want.

Reactions: sparksd

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Hahahahaha! You got me laughing there. I believe if both of you dislike the phone so much, why even come to this forum, particularly the iPhone section? Care to answer my question? What are you trying to prove by starting this thread? 😂
Sorry to bother you😀 but I thought someone here is bothered by this thread, yet continues to return. That’s amusing 😀

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I don’t “take” the opinions, but this is a discussion board after all and irrational thoughts sometimes rule the day. In the end I buy what I want.

Yeah, I read opinions and reviews but in the end want to form my own opinion on whether to keep a product after trying it for myself. For me, the most important opinion in a purchase is my own.

Reactions: ChoiMinji

belindaquek

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
And btw, I’m still waiting for your answer to my question?
Oh well, I guess I wouldn’t get any at all 🥹

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.