Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Based on your posting history, you appear to be an incredibly negative person. Life’s too short, let it go.

Food for thought…

Many people, myself included, actually enjoy things in life, like getting a new iPhone for instance. Maybe because it brings usefulness or even enjoyment to their lives. Does both for me. Imagine that. Either way, nobody is forced by Apple or it’s legions to buy a new iPhone.

Fun factoid: a lot of folks, myself included, sell their current phone to offset the cost of the new phone. It’s not like I just throw it in the trashcan year after year and start over. For 2 or $300 out of pocket, I have a new phone each year. Less than the price of a cup of coffee a day, I have a new iPhone. Yeah, I’m all about that. Go figure… 🤔
I think the cup of coffee is worth it though

Reactions: redcarlsen

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
Bottom line is that these new phones are needed by almost no one today. They're all "wants," and for reasons that grow thinner and thinner with each iPhone iteration. "Gotta have AOD!" "Oh, that new color!" "The island is the bomb!" But then you realize, fairly quickly, that you're just using an expensive new toy to do the very same things you did yesterday on your perfectly good previous phone.

It's all a bit sad, really, this vapid consumerism.

We get your point. As mentioned, you really come off as a person who only cares about money from creating threads like these every year, which is the impression I got form other people. Sure, investing money is important and I put money in my retirement and dividend stocks, but life is more about money and balance is key. If a new phone brings joy and one can afford it, then go ahead and buy it.

This is probably why people do not like minimalists and vegans, as some chastise people who aren't or agree with their beliefs and just want to make their own decisions. You have to realize that people don't want to be told what to do even if it doesn't fit your beliefs. If buying a new phone brings them joy, I have no issue with that. It's their decision, but there is no need to chastise them because they don't agree with them. At this point, you are beating the dead horse. If you like your phone that you have, great, just move on. No need to continue to chastise people because they want the latest iPhone. It's their decision.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That's where you went wrong, the analysis isn't about the OP.

It certainly was about the OP. They are not in favour of buying a new phone within 5 years. Absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. Their criticism and ridicule of others for having newer iPhones than an 8 Plus is their own personal issue and any analysis or retort to that is absolutely welcome.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Don't say I didn't warn you:

As someone astutely pointed out, at some point you need to realize that the phone is a tool, not a toy. If you're looking at these things as toys that will amuse you every year, you're going to be disappointed (at a cost). Phones are phones. There's nothing that exciting about them anymore. If you want a toy, you'd be better off shopping at Toys R Us.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

As someone astutely pointed out, at some point you need to realize that the phone is a tool, not a toy. If you're looking at these things as toys that will amuse you every year, you're going to be disappointed (at a cost). Phones are phones. There's nothing that exciting about them anymore. If you want a toy, you'd be better off shopping at Toys R Us.
My phone is a tool, like a car is a tool or a hammer is a tool. And I am very happy with my spouses new tool. She is happy with it also. I’m going to replace my Xs max tool shortly with a new pro max tool. Can’t wait.

The fact that this is the internet and anybody can say anything g anonymously doesn’t validate your proposition.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
1663431418391.png

Just say no lol xd

• Haha
Reactions: chikorita157

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD

Is your life so miserable that you need to keep harping on people's decision to update their own phone. As always, people have valid reasons to update their phone. Pretty much beating a dead horse. Life is short, let it go.

There is no wonder people view minimalists as elitist and don't like them as they look down everyone's else's decision to get a new device.It's their decision, not yours and you should respect their decision, even if you agree or disagree, not chastise them.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Exactly! Life is too short to be wasted on smartphones or other useless gadgets that won't change your life in any way. There is really no difference between iPhone models. As long as it works, it’s fine. Same apps, same content, doing the same things. You're just trying to justify yourself there's a difference because you think that purchase will somehow make you happy. Well it will, but only for like five minutes. After that you have basically the same device, and much less cash. Don’t do it. Life is wonderful. Live your life. Gain experiences. You don’t need phone for that. Upgrade when it breaks or becomes truly unusable. It’s just a tool.

Thank you OP for starting this discussion. Trying to wake people up is not being negative.
OK here's a reason....there's a movie called "Fall" where two ladies were stuck on a tv tower without a cell signal. If they had the iphone 14 they could've used satellite communications to get help, or with the new crash detection if they were involved in an accident help could be summons. OK these are drastic examples, but it's like the watch, this phone could save your life. Is $1200 worth it?

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
OK here's a reason....there's a movie called "Fall" where two ladies were stuck on a tv tower without a cell signal. If they had the iphone 14 they could've used satellite communications to get help, or with the new crash detection if they were involved in an accident help could be summons. OK these are drastic examples, but it's like the watch, this phone could save your life. Is $1200 worth it?

LOL. OMG, just think of how many people in history have died because they didn't have the iPhone 14!

:rolleyes:

RogerKmilw

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. Will the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)
It’s my favorite time of year, when I decide of my own free will to upgrade my Apple products to the latest & greatest.

Here’s a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything i need? No but by that justification I should still be rocking my 6s plus
2. With the new phone will I do the same things I’m doing with my present phone? Yes but I work extremely hard for money and this is how I choose to spend some of it
3. Will the phone make me happier? No not the phone itself. What I do with the phone YES
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Not really. I’m not well off by any means but I’m a tech guy who works a lot of overtime to buy these products and many other non-Apple products I don’t need.

I never try to make someone think they should do what I do.

I’m happy you’re totally happy with your 8 Plus. I hope you can be happy for me and my choices.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
It's that time of year again, when Apple and its legions of followers will make you think you need to separate yourself from $1,500 of hard-earned money to get a new phone.

Here's a checklist I use when thinking about acquiring a new phone.

1. Will the phone do anything I need? No.
2. With the new phone, will I end up doing exactly the same things I'm doing with my present phone? Yes.
3. Will the phone make me happier? No.
4. Will the phone make me poorer? Yes, in several ways.

Food for thought...

So today I got a new battery for my 8 Plus. Totally happy, and probably good for another 2 years. :)

Being bored I scrolled through your posting history, almost every single post was basically the same. I don’t understand why you are here? What can you possibly be gaining here?

RogerKmilw

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Bottom line is that these new phones are needed by almost no one today. They're all "wants," and for reasons that grow thinner and thinner with each iPhone iteration. "Gotta have AOD!" "Oh, that new color!" "The island is the bomb!" But then you realize, fairly quickly, that you're just using an expensive new toy to do the very same things you did yesterday on your perfectly good previous phone.

It's all a bit sad, really, this vapid consumerism.

You’re obviously going through something in your life. You have my empathy. However trying to make others feel bad/irresponsible/wasteful so you can feel better is not being a good person. Why do you have such a hard time with this?

RogerKmilw

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Honestly it sounds like you can’t afford to upgrade so you have to trash us. That’s jealousy plain and simple. You can say its not but why else would you start this?? You’re prob the person who can never be happy for the people in your life who you perceive to be doing better than you/have more than you. Negativity will get you nowhere.

Maybe if you spent more time working on yourself and less time worrying about what everyone else is doing you could achieve inner peace.

Last edited:

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
Exactly! Life is too short to be wasted on smartphones or other useless gadgets that won't change your life in any way. There is really no difference between iPhone models. As long as it works, it’s fine. Same apps, same content, doing the same things. You're just trying to justify yourself there's a difference because you think that purchase will somehow make you happy. Well it will, but only for like five minutes. After that you have basically the same device, and much less cash. Don’t do it. Life is wonderful. Live your life. Gain experiences. You don’t need phone for that. Upgrade when it breaks or becomes truly unusable. It’s just a tool.

Thank you OP for starting this discussion. Trying to wake people up is not being negative.
My first iPhone was a 4, and when the 6plus came out, I was attracted to the new larger sizes.
I still have my 6plus and each year I have wondered whether I needed a newer phone and I keep procrastinating because the 6plus works fine.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
My first iPhone was a 4, and when the 6plus came out, I was attracted to the new larger sizes.
I still have my 6plus and each year I have wondered whether I needed a newer phone and I keep procrastinating because the 6plus works fine.

The 6 Plus was Apple's last sensible phone. It was large enough to read but (arguably) light and thin enough to carry.

After the 6 Plus, the phones started getting heavier...and heavier and fatter and heavier and fatter...until the current generation, which is the heaviest and fattest of all iPhones. They're just ridiculous. If you drop a Max on your head while reading in bed, you're likely to injure yourself considerably.

Anyway, the direction is clear for next year's iPhone:

brick-in-back-pocket-1-1513432.jpg

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
The 6 Plus was Apple's last sensible phone. It was large enough to read but (arguably) light and thin enough to carry.

After the 6 Plus, the phones started getting heavier...and heavier and fatter and heavier and fatter...until the current generation, which is the heaviest and fattest of all iPhones. They're just ridiculous. If you drop a Max on your head while reading in bed, you're likely to injure yourself considerably.

Anyway, the direction is clear for next year's iPhone:

brick-in-back-pocket-1-1513432.jpg
As expected, it’s either that you are jealous that you can’t get a new phone or have a miserable life that you feel the need to complain and trying to shame people for their purchasing decisions. You really need to stop beating a dead horse, we get it already. If you are happy with your current phone, great. Let people enjoy their new phones. There is more to life than just complaining about people’s decisions to upgrade their phones. It’s their decision to make, not yours.

Maybe it’s time to take up a new hobby or activity instead of complaining about people’s purchasing decisions on getting the latest iPhones. Life is much more than that and money/wealth.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
As expected, it’s either that you are jealous that you can’t get a new phone or have a miserable life that you feel the need to complain and trying to shame people for their purchasing decisions. You really need to stop beating a dead horse, we get it already. If you are happy with your current phone, great. Let people enjoy their new phones. There is more to life than just complaining about people’s decisions to upgrade their phones. It’s their decision to make, not yours.

Maybe it’s time to take up a new hobby or activity instead of complaining about people’s purchasing decisions on getting the latest iPhones. Life is much more than that and money/wealth.
If someone really tries to spend that much time trying to convince someone else what they need or don't need to buy must have some issue. I upgraded from the 13 PM to 14 PM and am happy about it. No one else's jealousy can change that. The silver and white looks awesome BTW!

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
At this point I’m not following where this thread is going. The 6 plus and 14 are the same weight, 6.07oz (172g), and the 14 is 0.03” (0.75mm) thicker. The 14’s screen at 6.1” is larger than the 6 plus’ 5.5” screen. That doesn’t seem like a brick, and it’s the closest comparable models. Sure, the pro weighs 34g more at the same dimensions as the 14, but there are options from Apple for what works for folks.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
My final thought on this subject is isn’t it great that Apple gives us options? This year’s iPhone not to your taste? Happy with your older phone? No problem, for a reasonable fee Apple will replace the battery for you if needed.

I cherish my Apple devices, they make my life easier and smoother. I understand one can’t be the bride at every wedding & I can’t get every new device but I take great pleasure in watching Apple events & seeing people here getting excited about their new purchases. Seeing joy makes me happy.

In closing, one can also not be the the corpse at every funeral…. so on that note I consider this thread is basically DOA, enjoy your 8+ madam.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.