Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
I suppose you're just pushing buttons but most of the parties Apple arrive late to
they end up looking pretty good :)
When They implement a technology they see to improve on the status quo.
Really? Did apple improve wireless charging or fast charging for example?
What's left to improve regarding pixel binning?What's wrong with pixel binning tech right now?

Apple's is just late that's all.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
If Apple goes back to the glass sandwich design reminiscent of the iPhone 4, they’ll gain quite a lot of z direction, hopefully without the giant camera bumps currently being used. Not that this will provide enough room to make their cameras comparable to standalone p&s cameras, but every little bit of space will help.

What is a “z direction “ if you don’t mind me asking.

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
Thicken that phone! I have no problem with it being thicker. I like my phones like I like my women’s back sides… nice and fat! ?

Macintosh TV

Suspended
Nov 3, 2021
I feel the same.
Can anyone else recall a time when Apple specs jumped as much as what a 12- to 48-megapixle jump would represent?
While they might get to 48, eventually, I feel there would be no less than three smaller iterations over something like 6 years before they landed on 48. That's seems more how they roll.

Besides... Isn't sensor size what we're really after here?
Yup, ideally we want a larger sensor. While I'm sure it's something they want too, there's a reason we haven't seen them do it in many years. The limitations there are difficult. I'm sure they would have gone to it long ago if it was an easy option.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
48MP pixelbinded cameras have been in Android phones for so many years. At the end of the day they're just 12MP images still (4:1 downsample). Pretty sad we won't be moving on at all.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Yup, ideally we want a larger sensor. While I'm sure it's something they want too, there's a reason we haven't seen them do it in many years. The limitations there are difficult. I'm sure they would have gone to it long ago if it was an easy option.
Totally.
I'm all for a thicker handheld to allow fo rumor space for larger sensors. And as a bonus, bye by camera bump. :)

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
I don’t know why Apple or anyone else can’t also increase the size of the lenses instead of just focusing on the sensor size. Sony came out with a phone with a one inch sensor but it’s limited by the tiny lens which can only let in so much light. So why not make the lens opening much bigger? Get rid of that useless and moronic lidar sensor, the ultra wide lens, and move the telephoto lens out of the way and put a lens that’s an inch wide over that sensor to let in a lot more light. I don’t know the technical details involving this but I believe doing so might interfere with its ability to focus and/or make the depth of field too thin for a smartphone camera. If that’s the case they could just make the lens bump bigger if needed, which would be a bonus because it would make all the skinny jeans/no “camera bump” crowd cry.

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
you're kidding, right? how would you fit a 1" sensor into a phone? sensor size would be the same, pixel size will go down, that's the only way
Have you seen the back of the iPhone 13 Pro?

What difference does it make at this point? Might as well be 1" sensor so we can take amazing pictures.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Have you seen the back of the iPhone 13 Pro?

What difference does it make at this point? Might as well be 1" sensor so we can take amazing pictures.
I am typing this on my 13 ProMax, and I fail to understand where such a sensor would actually fit. And yes, they could rearrange the cameras, which does not mean there is room for such a sensor… and what size lens would you need in the current form factor?

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
I am typing this on my 13 ProMax, and I fail to understand where such a sensor would actually fit. And yes, they could rearrange the cameras, which does not mean there is room for such a sensor… and what size lens would you need in the current form factor?
Other manufacturers have not hesitated to take up half or more of the back of the phone with camera hardware. I believe the thinking is shifting from taking up as little room as necessary on the back to "why are not using all of this space?".

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Other manufacturers have not hesitated to take up half or more of the back of the phone with camera hardware. I believe the thinking is shifting from taking up as little room as necessary on the back to "why are not using all of this space?".
Maybe because there are other components using space also? Example: wireless coils.
Take a look at the tear down pics to see how space is used.
Sure, you could create a model that does what you say, but at what price?

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
The camera bump has always been a stupid sham... so typical of Apple. The phone is only as thin as its thickest point, so the logical thing to do is bring the back of the phone out flush with the lens, and fill in the extra area with BATTERY. Oh, and go a tiny step further and recess the lens so it doesn't get damaged (scratched iPhone 4 lens, anyone?). But nope. After all, Apple's the company that has been gimping its desktop systems with laptop components and glued-on screens to make them seem "thinner..." except for the big-ass hump in the middle of the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.