Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max may start with an increased 256GB of storage, rather than the starting 128GB option previously offered for the high-end iPhone models, according to updated forecast from TrendForce.

iPhone-14-Pro-Purple-Side-by-Side-Black.jpg
iPhone 14 Pro concept render by Ian Zelbo

According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the ‌iPhone 14 lineup will be around 15% more expensive than the average selling price of the iPhone 13 lineup, but a higher starting storage option on the Pro models may offset the price increase for customers. According to TrendForce, the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max may start with 256GB of storage and not 128GB as previously offered. The increased storage option would make sense given the rumored price hike, but rumors are still conflicting on whether or not this will be the case.

The iPhone 13 Pro with 256GB of storage costs $1,099, and the iPhone 13 Pro Max with 256GB of storage is priced at $1,199. According to TrendForce, these will be around the same prices as the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, respectively, with 256GB of on-device storage. TrendForce today also doubled down on past reports, including the iPhone 14 Pro featuring updated RAM. The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are expected to feature the same 6GB of memory as the current iPhone 13 Pro but will use the newer and faster LPDDR5 type of memory.

Other rumored upgrades for iPhone 14 Pro models include a faster A16 chip, a new pill-shaped cutout and hole replacing the notch, an upgraded 48-megapixel rear camera lens with support for 8K video recording, front camera autofocus, and an always-on display.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Pro Again Rumored to Start With Increased 256GB of Storage

Reactions: Funny Apple Man

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
It would certainly lower the impact of the upcoming price increase, at least mentally and I am sure Apple is still making plenty of money with that.

Also, let's not forget the debacle of ProRes being only available on devices 256 GB and up! May as well start at the space that is needed to support a feature! Especially with 8K coming as well

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
we know 256gb is not enough if you have been in the ecosystem since iPhone 4…Apple One Family bundle should have a minimum of 1TB of icloud+, come on Tim family is family not a Single person!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I hope THIS rumor is true. Frankly I always thought it was a waste of beautiful hardware to stick ridiculously low storage on their Pro devices.

128 gb isn’t horrible, but if you’ve got this phone with an advanced camera capable of taking all these amazing photos and videos that incidentally produce massive sized files…why hamstring it with inadequate storage that inhibits people from trying out the full capabilities of their phone?

128 gb is a generous starting point for the non pro models. I have 128 gb on the iPhone 11 I’m using now and that’s perfectly aligned to the phone’s capabilities. It’s sufficient and therefore I am happy. I’m not unreasonable in my expectations.

But I’d be big mad stuck with 128 gb on a phone that has a camera the rumors are promising for the 14 Pros.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
8K video and 48MP pics will gobble up a lot of storage fast.

Besides, Apple needs a few talking points to help rationalize a big price hike.
It most probably will be the same 12MP photo's that we have now, because there will be pixel binning for photos. The 48mp sensor is just to make 8k video possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

LittleByrdEee

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2019
As long as the price doesn’t increase to do so I’m fine. With the cloud I don’t need as much local storage personally.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Remember when they wouldn't budge from selling their phones with 16 GB of storage and then tried to say that iCloud was the fix/solution, even though iCloud works as a sync agent more than an offloading service?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have 256 GB in my iPhone X and I have only so far used about 116 GBs. It’s hard fill up and I’ve had this phone for nearly 5 years. It’s not for a lack of trying either.

Reactions: alexandr

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
A year ago $1099 was about €880 and Apple charged €1050+vat. (€1299).

Today that $1099 is basically €1099.

If Apple keep the same (20%-ish) currency buffer as last time we might be looking at €1310+vat. (€1650-ish).

A 27% increase before any potential increase made by Apple.

Guess there’s always the possibility that Apple will just eat that difference and we won’t see any increase. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
“the same 6GB of memory as the current iPhone 13 Pro”

Then stop calling it a “professional” device Apple if you keep intentionally hamstringing this overpriced brick.
And then some will get mad for suggesting a ram increase which idk why.

Why is it harmful to give it more ram? I know iOS is very good with ram management but it doesn't hurt to add a bit more ram to it so that it'll last longer and there won't be that much app refreshes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.