Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenom13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
Hi!
I bought my iPhone 14 Pro Max 20 of March.

After updating to iOS 16.5.1 I've noticed that my battery drains extremely fast and I get max 5 hours of screen time.

I don't play games, just use messengers, sometimes listening to music with Airpods Pro 2.
I usually charge my iPhone overnight.
WiFi and Bluetooth are always turned on, always on display turn off.

Battery health is 100% and 88 cycle count.

Before updating to iOS 16.5.1 I used to get 2 full days of usage and now 1 max :(

battery drain.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Bost85

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
Switzerland
I do confirm drain for no reason with my 14 pro. After the 16.5.1 battery consumption is there but for no obvious reason. Before that i used to get 2 full days of usage and now 1 max....i tried everything but without success (including network reset and some cold restarts) :(

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
It takes a few days for the phone to "calm down" after an update, but just from glancing at your screenshots I noticed you use several social media apps. From my understanding, those like to run in the background and constantly poll for updates, so maybe try adjusting Background App Refresh or limiting them to when you're awake or something? Just a guess.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Update the apps and if its on automatic, do a force update so that you get the latest versions.
It might not be an OS issue but an App issue that needs to be corrected.

Reactions: Andy002

phenom13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2020
Update:

I did tests for a couple days, but every time I got the same result.
Screen Active: 5+- hours :(

I have feelings that I am using my 2 years old iPhone 12 Pro Max with 84% battery health.

That's insane for 14 Pro Max which I bought 3 months ago.

iphone.jpg

• Sad

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Update the apps and if its on automatic, do a force update so that you get the latest versions.
It might not be an OS issue but an App issue that needs to be corrected.

How does one update the apps? :confused:

FWIW: Yesterday, and so far this morning, battery usage is about normal.

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
I got a 14 pro last week and I've been disappointed with the battery life, coming from the 13 pro. My 13 pro used to last all day and well into the next day but the 14 pro is getting into low battery territory by the morning. Hopefully it's something that can be made better via software updates.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
How does one update the apps? :confused:

FWIW: Yesterday, and so far this morning, battery usage is about normal.
App Store>your pic/icon top right>select updates or select to update all. You can briefly swipe that screen down to refresh App update availability.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Update:

I have feelings that I am using my 2 years old iPhone 12 Pro Max with 84% battery health.

That's insane for 14 Pro Max which I bought 3 months ago.

View attachment 2226951
Something is not right. Go to apple and let it checked. If it’s HW they will fix it but I bet it’s SW. Mine 14PM does not show any abnormalities with the latest update. When I charge it over night to 100% I have 70 to 80% when I go to bed.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Update:

Looks to me like something is constantly using your GPS while your screen is on - solid GPS arrow icon displayed on all your screen shots, and that’s one of biggest battery consumers. Lots of ways to more efficiently manage all the antennas you are/(probably are) simultaneously running.

Also Apple is using most folks iPhones as AirTag crowdsource beacons, and hiding that power consumption from the batt graphs - depends on how often you pass w/in 30ft of one. I use a shortcut to turn that functionality off.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
yes its so bad I had to get rid of my pro and get a max which still is not great for battery any idea if the PLUS suffers as well?

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Mine has been fine the past few days, still 50-60% when I go to bed. It must have been the updates cuz I’ve changed nothing on my end to cause it or to fix it.

Reactions: ellsworth

Bost85

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
Switzerland
I found the solution at least for my problem but I am sure that this has affected other users as well. Since the day of the new update I be been experiencing standby battery drain. I deactivated the call after serious crash option inside the emergency sos field. I never had issues before but as it seems there is a conflict there with the new update ….the phone returned back to its normal times. I hope this will help others 😋

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Looks to me like something is constantly using your GPS while your screen is on - solid GPS arrow icon displayed on all your screen shots, and that’s one of biggest battery consumers. Lots of ways to more efficiently manage all the antennas you are/(probably are) simultaneously running.

Also Apple is using most folks iPhones as AirTag crowdsource beacons, and hiding that power consumption from the batt graphs - depends on how often you pass w/in 30ft of one. I use a shortcut to turn that functionality off.

Can you post the instructions on how to turn this functionality off? Thanks

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Mine is still acting weird: It can be normal for a day or two (50-60% when I go to bed) then it randomly starts sucking the battery dry and I have to re-charge it in the afternoon or early evening. It usually happens when I'm not using it at all.

I updated the apps as someone suggested above, only one needed it.

• Sad
Reactions: kp98077

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
What is "DFU" and "AOD"?
DFU stands for device firmware update. It's the highest level of restoring device. Completely wipes the device and downloads the firmware again.

AOD is the always on display on the iPhone 14 pro and pro max devices.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
DFU stands for device firmware update. It's the highest level of restoring device. Completely wipes the device and downloads the firmware again.

AOD is the always on display on the iPhone 14 pro and pro max devices.
I believe the AOD makes a big difference alone?

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
My display goes off in a minute or so. I have not made any changes in the one year+ I've had the phone but SOMETHING changed a month or so ago when the battery started draining for no obvious reason.

Is there no way of actually DIAGNOSING and FIXING the actual problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.