Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I used an IP13PM for the past year and it was a battery champ. Regularly got 9 to 10 hours of screen time with my usage which includes a lot of push email. Recently took a run at a Galaxy Fold 4 to change things up. Love the hardware. Software is typical Android - I can deal with it but the deal breaker for me was the battery. Standard 5 to 6 hours of SOT which doesn't cut it for me as a work device. Yes, you can charge it quickly or top it up but I don't like doing that for a variety of reasons including the fact that charging a phone 1.5 per day effectively reduces the overall battery life significantly. So, I decided to switch back and grabbed an 14 Pro Max largely if not exclusively for the better battery.

With the caveat that this is my 3rd day with the phone, I am noticing terrible battery life. Yesterday, the phone was down to 20% after 5 hours SOT. This is mind blowing to me as I've never had an apple device behave this way. The biggest variance that I can tell is that there is significant standby drain on this phone - much more than recent apple phones. It's behaving like an Android with 2 percent standby drain per hour. My 13 pro max in comparison might not lose 2 percent in 6 hours.

I don't believe I have a rogue app or any hardware issues. I'm assuming this is tied to ios16. So, are others experiencing this? How long should we wait out a fix? If i cant get back to Apple-esque battery life, I might as well just keep the Fold as I prefer the hardware experience.

miheng

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
got my 14PM on Monday and yesterday was the first full day of use for me. Got about 7 hours screen time out of it and it was at about 55% battery by the time I went to bed. Mostly just youtube, reddit, and browsing the web. Nothing to intense.

happybutnot

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2021
I used an IP13PM for the past year and it was a battery champ. Regularly got 9 to 10 hours of screen time with my usage which includes a lot of push email. Recently took a run at a Galaxy Fold 4 to change things up. Love the hardware. Software is typical Android - I can deal with it but the deal breaker for me was the battery. Standard 5 to 6 hours of SOT which doesn't cut it for me as a work device. Yes, you can charge it quickly or top it up but I don't like doing that for a variety of reasons including the fact that charging a phone 1.5 per day effectively reduces the overall battery life significantly. So, I decided to switch back and grabbed an 14 Pro Max largely if not exclusively for the better battery.

With the caveat that this is my 3rd day with the phone, I am noticing terrible battery life. Yesterday, the phone was down to 20% after 5 hours SOT. This is mind blowing to me as I've never had an apple device behave this way. The biggest variance that I can tell is that there is significant standby drain on this phone - much more than recent apple phones. It's behaving like an Android with 2 percent standby drain per hour. My 13 pro max in comparison might not lose 2 percent in 6 hours.

I don't believe I have a rogue app or any hardware issues. I'm assuming this is tied to ios16. So, are others experiencing this? How long should we wait out a fix? If i cant get back to Apple-esque battery life, I might as well just keep the Fold as I prefer the hardware experience.
im experiencing the same thing. standby drain is much higher than normal and losing something similar to what you are explaining.

Haptics, background refresh, location, AOD all off.

Ted Lasso

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2020
UK
I'm experiencing great battery life on my 14 PM.

Off the charger since 4:30am this morning. It is now nearly 6pm and battery is at 65%.

General web browsing, Twitter, Reddit, some calls, and listening to an audiobook on Audible has been my use today.

AOD and haptics are off. Not to compromise I just don't see a use for them.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Do you have the AOD and haptics turned on?
AOD off. Haptics on. If I wanted to compromise my settings to keep battery life, I'd stick with Android. The entire point of the (boring to me) iphone is that I don't have to deal with tweaking and nerfing features. The trade off to me is less exciting hardware and less cutting edge features. Seriously hoping there is a software fix otherwise this phone will be shipped out fast. Today seems better so far but I've barely used the phone. Still seeing odd standby drain.

Reactions: dominiongamma

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So far am getting great battery life. First that I got it it, it wasn't that great (well that's because I was using it and checking it out). After few days and after indexing is complete. my 14 pro max last pretty much as long as my 13 pm does. I do have AOD on.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Took four days for my battery to settle down and now I’m getting on par with my 13PM.
You should be able to run a day with heavy use just give it some time to finish doing all the background tasks.

I did notice disabling AOD helps.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I figured out my battery drain problem after several days on ios16 (12ProMax). It's the Weather Wallpaper. Evidently it's always checking weather conditions and adjusting the background wallpaper. Solved....for me!

IMG_0887.PNG

maracuch0

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
I am super happy with the battery life on the 14 pro max. I come from S22 Ultra and I have to top it off by 5-6PM (usually around 30% battery life left). With the 14 pro max, I can go all day from 8 AM to 10 PM before I have to charge it. This is with AOD and everything on.

Reactions: Synomenon

music.galaxy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Germany
The iPhone 14 Pro Max has terrible battery life. In fact the battery on the max this year is smaller. Thats the problem. Apple keeps telling us that the A16 is smarter but coming from the recording world, I can say NOTHING raplaces hardware performance. Digital will never replace phisical performance. I have AOD off, minimum brightness, location services off and the battery is doing very bad. What a shame Apple trying to save money shrinking batteries maximising profit on a large scale production. Seriously thinking of selling the 14 PM and going with a brand new military green 13 PM! The 13 Pro was the best iphone ever made.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I’m having something in the middle. It’s not terrible, as I’m currently about 26:45 hours since last full charge, and at 7% battery remaining.

But I am seeing these hours worth of background activity from some apps.

9258cc38b552e99457ae0f21ab1a5ab1.png

d9eeeb0e3452b348c97b0a7193794c56.png

Especially the ones from today, while it’s just sitting idle and burnt 2h 44mm of screen idle activity after midnight. Odd. I hope it’s just part of initial migration.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Found something interesting. Looks like this is mostly from Facebook/Meta apps. If you look at the activity, it’s Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp. All Meta apps.

And others are observing this issue with FB app. It’s using Bluetooth beacon in the background, and they suggested turning it off kills the background activity.

Reactions: 5105973

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Found something interesting. Looks like this is mostly from Facebook/Meta apps. If you look at the activity, it’s Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp. All Meta apps.

And others are observing this issue with FB app. It’s using Bluetooth beacon in the background, and they suggested turning it off kills the background activity.

cannot find the option to turn off the bluetooth for facebook. 14pro with iOS16.1b3
Its neither in settings->facebook , nor in settings->privacy->bluetooth.

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
The iPhone 14 Pro Max has terrible battery life. In fact the battery on the max this year is smaller. Thats the problem. Apple keeps telling us that the A16 is smarter but coming from the recording world, I can say NOTHING raplaces hardware performance. Digital will never replace phisical performance. I have AOD off, minimum brightness, location services off and the battery is doing very bad. What a shame Apple trying to save money shrinking batteries maximising profit on a large scale production. Seriously thinking of selling the 14 PM and going with a brand new military green 13 PM! The 13 Pro was the best iphone ever made.
I get extremely long battery life. I could probably get 2 days from it with normal usage. So I can’t share in your problems. Your hyperbole is quite extreme though. The battery is .6% smaller (4322 vs 4352). So please spare us.

Cbarnett202

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2020
Washington, DC
I have been disappointed with the performance of iOS 16 as it relates to battery performance. The newest, beta software does seem to be better for many, hopefully that fixes some of your challenges.

miheng

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
I get extremely long battery life. I could probably get 2 days from it with normal usage. So I can’t share in your problems. Your hyperbole is quite extreme though. The battery is .6% smaller (4322 vs 4352). So please spare us.
Yeah, I’m getting good battery life as well, maybe the key for me is I have no social media apps. I’m halfway through my work day and battery is still in the 90% range. I am curious about apple making the 14PM battery slightly smaller than the 13PM. The 14pro saw a small increase so why not the 14PM?

Reactions: yaboid01 and Shh

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
Yeah, I’m getting good battery life as well, maybe the key for me is I have no social media apps. I’m halfway through my work day and battery is still in the 90% range. I am curious about apple making the 14PM battery slightly smaller than the 13PM. The 14pro saw a small increase so why not the 14PM?
There are notoriously bad apps, like Facebook, that chew through battery life. So instead I use "Friendly Social Browser" which lets me connect to all my social media apps in one container without destroying my battery life (and the data mining of my phone). The smaller battery size makes no sense, honestly. Probably something to do with the internals. I came from a XR so my battery life is 4 times as long as I'm used to. Maybe I'd be more miffed if I came from a 13 PM, but I'm just not experiencing the same battery life issues as others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.