Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I want to buy a 14 PM but I will hold off until this battery issue is fixed. 99% is sw, but I am worried that is is hw related on the off chance.
I guess it is a good thing that I can’t find any stock. If it is sw, I expect 16.1 to fix it. Given all the new energy improvements I am expecting the 14 PM to have better battery life than the 13 PM.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Moved to a 14 pro max from a 13 pro max. Used to charge it every 4 days. Very light user. Now cannot last 2 full days with same apps and same usage or even less.

Always on display is off.

This is really bad. I'm getting even less battery than when I had the 12 pro max.

Something is wrong in IOS16 or the hardware.
I would love to be able to charge every other day. Every phone I get year in and year out only lasts me a day.

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I get around 10 hours screen on time which is good. I do remember getting 12-13h on my 13PM last year though

bu3lwa

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
4fd24972e9d4bba640d97cfcc0c865b8.jpg

Reactions: Skip029

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
I used an IP13PM for the past year and it was a battery champ. Regularly got 9 to 10 hours of screen time with my usage which includes a lot of push email. Recently took a run at a Galaxy Fold 4 to change things up. Love the hardware. Software is typical Android - I can deal with it but the deal breaker for me was the battery. Standard 5 to 6 hours of SOT which doesn't cut it for me as a work device. Yes, you can charge it quickly or top it up but I don't like doing that for a variety of reasons including the fact that charging a phone 1.5 per day effectively reduces the overall battery life significantly. So, I decided to switch back and grabbed an 14 Pro Max largely if not exclusively for the better battery.

With the caveat that this is my 3rd day with the phone, I am noticing terrible battery life. Yesterday, the phone was down to 20% after 5 hours SOT. This is mind blowing to me as I've never had an apple device behave this way. The biggest variance that I can tell is that there is significant standby drain on this phone - much more than recent apple phones. It's behaving like an Android with 2 percent standby drain per hour. My 13 pro max in comparison might not lose 2 percent in 6 hours.

I don't believe I have a rogue app or any hardware issues. I'm assuming this is tied to ios16. So, are others experiencing this? How long should we wait out a fix? If i cant get back to Apple-esque battery life, I might as well just keep the Fold as I prefer the hardware experience.

The battery life on my 14 PM is outstanding and notably better than my old 13 PM ever was in my usage.

Battery SOT for today attached.

Yesterday I ended the day with 13 HR 38 MIN SOT @ 18% battery before it went on the charger.
I never managed similar with the 13 PM even when it was new.

I will be keeping this 14 PM 3 years min, love it.

Note: Paired with Apple Watch, AOD off, Auto brightness/True Tone on, Dark Mode on.

1DE349FF-B134-4384-A7CF-526BCF75557F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Skip029

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
When I transferred everything from an IP13PM -> IP14PM, all of the apps remained the same on each side. On the IP13PM, it sips battery. On the IPM14M it continues to chew through battery very quickly.

Has a full format/reset helped anyone here in relation to the battery drain or should we be waiting for 16.1?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
When I transferred everything from an IP13PM -> IP14PM, all of the apps remained the same on each side. On the IP13PM, it sips battery. On the IPM14M it continues to chew through battery very quickly.

Has a full format/reset helped anyone here in relation to the battery drain or should we be waiting for 16.1?
Clean installs are almost always better in my experience.

Reactions: MNLondon

wickedlfe

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I upgraded from an 11P to a 14PM expecting a significant jump in battery life, but it’s not been the case. I actuallly get around the same battery life as the 11P. So far I’ve used the 14PM for 6 days and daily it barely lasts until 8pm (I start my day at 7am fully charged). I’m on 16.1 and turned off AOD, all background services, etc. a little under 8 hours screen time and my current battery is at 28%. Are you guys still having issues after upgrading to 16.1? This was also a fresh install (I didn’t use the data transfer option from my 11P).

Attachments

• 42FEE9A5-B5C9-4F32-B246-415A4439220B.png
    42FEE9A5-B5C9-4F32-B246-415A4439220B.png
    300.4 KB · Views: 88

MNLondon

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
London
It was exactly the same with my 12 Pro max. I know it's a relic now, comparatively, but I barely get a full day out of it now, and battery health is 86%.
I dream of the days when something like Graphene can be used with Lithium, or some other combination, which makes batteries last for several days for an extended time. I wish too that Apple would allow us to change batteries ourselves like the old days.

I'm an eternal optimist!

Reactions: wickedlfe

wickedlfe

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
I upgraded from an 11P to a 14PM expecting a significant jump in battery life, but it’s not been the case. I actuallly get around the same battery life as the 11P. So far I’ve used the 14PM for 6 days and daily it barely lasts until 8pm (I start my day at 7am fully charged). I’m on 16.1 and turned off AOD, all background services, etc. a little under 8 hours screen time and my current battery is at 28%. Are you guys still having issues after upgrading to 16.1? This was also a fresh install (I didn’t use the data transfer option from my 11P).
9:22pm now and it’s at 17%. Barely used it since my previous post.

Attachments

• 49AC05D3-7CCA-4D6B-BCCF-9532D0CC0728.png
    49AC05D3-7CCA-4D6B-BCCF-9532D0CC0728.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 78

wickedlfe

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2022
My 14PM battery has only gotten better.

Just curious, are you in an area with poor cell reception or have you perhaps tried disabling 5G?

View attachment 2106416
Wow I’d love to be at 50% with almost 10 hours of screen time! That’s awesome. Cell service is generally good and I’m on Wi-Fi most of the day at work and when I get home. I’d hate to turn off 5G because it’s one of the reasons I upgraded to this phone and am paying a higher monthly service fee. It’s my 7th day with this phone so if it continues to drain today I’ll probably take it back to the cell phone store to complain

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Wow I’d love to be at 50% with almost 10 hours of screen time! That’s awesome. Cell service is generally good and I’m on Wi-Fi most of the day at work and when I get home. I’d hate to turn off 5G because it’s one of the reasons I upgraded to this phone and am paying a higher monthly service fee. It’s my 7th day with this phone so if it continues to drain today I’ll probably take it back to the cell phone store to complain
You have to deduct his usage from the previous day before 11pm (around 2-3 hours) and start counting when the phone comes off 100% charge at 5.30am.

So around 7 hours for 50%. Which is still amazing.

I get around 3 to 4 hours screen active time for 50% battery usage!

But it also depends if you’re mostly on wifi or 4G/5G all day.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Does it make a negative difference if I only have 2 signal bars at home but I am always on Wi-Fi, or is it the same as being on 4 bars?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You have to deduct his usage from the previous day before 11pm (around 2-3 hours) and start counting when the phone comes off 100% charge at 5.30am.

So around 7 hours for 50%. Which is still amazing.

I get around 3 to 4 hours screen active time for 50% battery usage!

But it also depends if you’re mostly on wifi or 4G/5G all day.
you don't even need to do that you go to 10 days on battery and click the day you're looking for. That gives you your true screen on active time.

I got 7 hours, 17 mins with AOD off and 6 hours, 17 with it on. Still lasts all day I'm sure if i ran it to 0% i would get over 7-8 hours even with AOD on.

Don't get how people can get 10 hours or more. Not sure how it's possible to be on a phone that long to be fair.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
you don't even need to do that you go to 10 days on battery and click the day you're looking for. That gives you your true screen on active time.

I got 7 hours, 17 mins with AOD off and 6 hours, 17 with it on. Still lasts all day I'm sure if i ran it to 0% i would get over 7-8 hours even with AOD on.

Don't get how people can get 10 hours or more. Not sure how it's possible to be on a phone that long to be fair.
Yeah that’s the best way to show the usage and graphs but everyone seem to show the graph for “last 24 hours” which sometimes can be misleading.

The battery usage I’m getting is similar to yours. Usually 5-6 hours screen active time every day and down to 30-35% battery left.

Reactions: The Game 161

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020

BA367B94-EFC7-4F36-9DF6-A297330C5F6B.png

I stream music/videos while I work so it’s entirely possible to be productive with high screen on time.
In fact it’s a productivity booster for me.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
View attachment 2107271

I stream music/videos while I work so it’s entirely possible to be productive with high screen on time.
In fact it’s a productivity booster for me.
Last charge 56min ago and 14h of screen on time? How does this thing work? Can’t we get the SOT since last charge? 14h of SOT but if your phone is on charge every now and then the same day it does not make any sense in terms of battery longevity. It just tells you, your screen has been active 14h. But maybe I am missing something.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
Last charge 56min ago and 14h of screen on time? How does this thing work? Can’t we get the SOT since last charge? 14h of SOT but if your phone is on charge every now and then the same day it does not make any sense in terms of battery longevity. It just tells you, your screen has been active 14h. But maybe I am missing something.

That would be because that was SoT for Wed (on the 10 day window) and today is Thursday.

If your insinuation is that I’m purposely sharing misleading data that absolutely is not the case.

Tell me *exactly* what will satisfy you and I will share it.

I just find it odd there seems to be such disparate battery life experiences with these 14P/PMs… am I only person who saw a pretty major battery life improvement going from a 13PM to 14PM?

Last edited:

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
That would be because that was SoT for Wed (on the 10 day window) and today is Thursday.

If your insinuation is that I’m purposely sharing misleading data that absolutely is not the case.

I just find it odd there seems to be such disparate battery life experiences with these 14P/PMs… am I only person who saw a pretty major battery life improvement going from a 13PM to 14PM?
Thanks, got it. Not insinuating anything. I am not very familiar with the battery check thing. I actually find it very confusing.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah that’s the best way to show the usage and graphs but everyone seem to show the graph for “last 24 hours” which sometimes can be misleading.

The battery usage I’m getting is similar to yours. Usually 5-6 hours screen active time every day and down to 30-35% battery left.
yeah for me it depends if i'm at work all day and it can change the screen time. with 5G all day it will tend to be alot worse. I'm sure on a weekend if all I did was on the phone i think 8 hours is possible depending on tasks.

eckndu

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
what is haptics? like the little vibration when you press volume key and it reaches the min/max? that can't be a big factor of battery life?

beMaC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011

Mind sharing any other ‘battery draining’ settings you have toggled off?

I’m currently averaging 11.5 hours for a full charge

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
So I've reset and restored (to an iCloud backup) and it doesn't seem to have helped with poor battery life on the 14 PM.

On average, I get around 1 hr of screen active time for 10% of battery usage. So would be down to around 25 to 30% at the end of the day after 7 hrs of screen active time (up at 6.30am, bed at 11pm).

Most of the "battery draining" setting I have toggled off are:

5G off (Only on 4G)
AOD off
Background app refresh off

Safari chews through the most battery every day (30 to 45%). I have three adblockers on - Would this cause more battery drain? I thought adblockers would REDUCE battery drain?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.