Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I‘m not a Max user but I have the iPhone 14 Pro and it gets amazing battery life after I turned off the always on display. I came from a iPhone 12 Pro Max and I couldn’t be happier. I turned the AOD off as it was bugging me thinking my phone was always on. Didn’t think it make that much a difference on battery life but it did for me.

Reactions: bc 08

SolarSailer120

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
Just an update here, I discovered that turning off cellular altogether massively improves my battery. That defeats the purpose of an iPhone, though. On 16.1.2 for a week and now back to abysmal SOT of about 5 hours. So very sick of trekking to Apple every other day to have issues looked into, but here we go again I guess. 25 hours of video streaming yeah right. It can't even handle lowest brightness light browsing and local podcast playback without tanking the battery. Idle drain is back too

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just an update here, I discovered that turning off cellular altogether massively improves my battery. That defeats the purpose of an iPhone, though. On 16.1.2 for a week and now back to abysmal SOT of about 5 hours. So very sick of trekking to Apple every other day to have issues looked into, but here we go again I guess. 25 hours of video streaming yeah right. It can't even handle lowest brightness light browsing and local podcast playback without tanking the battery. Idle drain is back too
If I listen to a podcast on Spotify then finish and close out completely from Spotify, my 14 Pro Max will drain fast down to power saving mode. I need to restart it to end this weird draining issue once I get home and recharge it. It doesn't happen every time but it's happened enough to inconvenience me.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
you don't even need to do that you go to 10 days on battery and click the day you're looking for. That gives you your true screen on active time.

I got 7 hours, 17 mins with AOD off and 6 hours, 17 with it on. Still lasts all day I'm sure if i ran it to 0% i would get over 7-8 hours even with AOD on.

Don't get how people can get 10 hours or more. Not sure how it's possible to be on a phone that long to be fair.
Just wanted to clarify that this might not be the case. The most accurate screen is the last 24 hours screenshot. The last 10 days with the full day bars can be extremely inaccurate.

A random case example to showcase this. I wake up at 5 am, unplug it at 100%. I use it all morning, but I have to go somewhere afterwards, so I charge it. I have to check things to plan for this trip, so I keep using it. I then unplug it and leave, using 30% until the evening, when I charge it again. Screen-on time compared to battery used will be massive, and wildly misleading, should I share the last 10 days page:

-It includes the 100-99% drop twice, which lasts 7 to 8 times longer than the rest of the percentage points

-It includes usage while charging, adding screen-on time whilst adding 0% to the battery used bar, not possible under not-charging circumstances

My observation: many, many, many people don’t know how to read the battery graph, demonstrated either by them including runtime prior to unplugging when reporting on the last 24 hours screenshot, or by sharing the last 10 days screenshot without context. Oftentimes, the number reported is astronomically high and impossible unless used extremely lightly, which their own account of their usage contradicts. I thank Apple for this. Screen-on time since last full charge is way too difficult, nearly impossible to implement, I assume. Probably requires a supercomputer to compute.

The current information makes any online claim without the last 24 hours screenshot proof completely unreliable. This thread is proof, every thread is proof. Somebody will, in every thread regarding battery life, ever since iOS 12, incorrectly report their own runtime as a lot better than what it is. I cannot know whether anyone who just states numbers without screenshots knows this, so I have to assume they don’t, which means I cannot trust the number that was shared, unfortunately.

As you know, iOS 10 and earlier had another inexplicable choice: usage, which lumped on and off-screen usage together. Which means people who listened to music all day had astronomically high results. The solution to this problem is way too obvious and way too simple. I’ll never understand Apple’s decision-making in this regard.

Reactions: reppans

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
14PM, AOD off.

I take my phone off the charger at 6:30am when I leave for work. Normal day of emails, phone calls, text messages and social media. I’m also in a metal building with no WiFi so it’s cellular use all day.

9:30-ish bedtime and I have at least 50% battery left.

wapvi

macrumors member
May 24, 2015
This is the worst iphone experience for me. My 12 pro max was bought 2 years ago. I had a nice run with it as it had an outstanding battery until the ios16 dropped and the battery started latsing less than a day and my SOT decreased. Sold it 3 days ago and bought the 14 pro as I wanted to get away from the larger screen and added weight. Oh boy, I hate this phone, battery lige just plain sucks. Drain when idling is high, drain while active is ridiculously high. The battery percentage drops randomly and inconsistently. Holds at 100% for 40mn then 2% drop follows after 15 MN. This sucks

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Best battery life of any phone that I’ve had. 8 hours SOT and at 60% SOC. More than sufficient for anything I need.
glad to see this, my one-year old 13 PM had somewhat less stats (6 hours SOT) for 55-60% so I am guessing there are other factors particularly the AOD for some folks here?

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Best battery life of any phone that I’ve had. 8 hours SOT and at 60% SOC. More than sufficient for anything I need.

8hrs SOT on 40% batt is almost 70% of Apple’s proportional ‘up to’ SOT spec. Would you mind posting screenshots of your 24hr & 10d battery graphs as that’s about the best performance I’ve heard yet from a 14-series or iOS16.

So far this 14PM (not mine), running ~12.5hrs on 70% batt (~61% proportional Apple spec) is about the best I’ve seen. I don’t know about the 14series, or iOS16 (yet), but IME Apple’s ‘up to’ SOT specs have always been reasonably attainable (on mostly wifi) if you do some efficiency tuning.

-It includes the 100-99% drop twice, which lasts 7 to 8 times longer than the rest of the percentage points

Good point. I know the 10d graph misrepresents SOT while plugged-in, but didn’t consider that first percentage point after unplugging could add ~1hr of ‘free’ SOT per plug-in (example linked above) - that could be a big skew.

Other annoying things when trying to decipher user batt performance include folks that: state ‘lasts me all day’; post the Screentime App graphs; and post 24hr graphs with so many plug-ins there’s hardly any unplugged-SOT to extrapolate from.

Another grain of salt is to know that heavy users will tend show better efficiency than light users since more SOT hours means less standby drain.

mistercoffee1

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2020
CA, USA
This is the worst iphone experience for me. My 12 pro max was bought 2 years ago. I had a nice run with it as it had an outstanding battery until the ios16 dropped and the battery started latsing less than a day and my SOT decreased. Sold it 3 days ago and bought the 14 pro as I wanted to get away from the larger screen and added weight. Oh boy, I hate this phone, battery lige just plain sucks. Drain when idling is high, drain while active is ridiculously high. The battery percentage drops randomly and inconsistently. Holds at 100% for 40mn then 2% drop follows after 15 MN. This sucks
Is your phone restored from the backup of the previous 12 Pro that went bad right after the iOS 16 install?
If so, have you tried setting up as new, if even for just a few hours?
Idle draining should not happen. Can you see if there is an offending app?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Good point. I know the 10d graph misrepresents SOT while plugged-in, but didn’t consider that first percentage point after unplugging could add ~1hr of ‘free’ SOT per plug-in (example linked above) - that could be a big skew.

Other annoying things when trying to decipher user batt performance include folks that: state ‘lasts me all day’; post the Screentime App graphs; and post 24hr graphs with so many plug-ins there’s hardly any unplugged-SOT to extrapolate from.

Another grain of salt is to know that heavy users will tend show better efficiency than light users since more SOT hours means less standby drain.
Yeah, it could add a lot of time. To give an example, my record thus far is 1h 44 min from 100% to 99% on my Xʀ (average is 30 min less than that). Plug it in twice with that outstanding performance, and I’d be adding almost 3.5 hours of free SOT to the day. Huge difference between “8.5h of SOT to 48%” and “12 hours of SOT to 48%”. The former? Achievable. The latter? Not so much.

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of people who ask whether battery life is good, and share a totally indecipherable screen shot with 7 plug-ins in 5 hours. My reply is, of course, always the same: “Use it a little linearly without recharging and re-upload”. To extrapolate, I typically subtract the 100-99% point, then take the rest of the percentage points as equal. If I don’t know how long it took, I guess, at most I’ll be off by a few minutes. Like you said, the screen time number by itself is completely useless. Did you charge it many times? Did you unplug today, yesterday, or three days ago?

Standby drop is key, I typically don’t bother checking battery life if I know that standby was long. It’s not relevant to me, because you can’t extrapolate anything from that. Standby drain is so variable and depends on so many factors, that taking the time to calculate a rough number is at best severely unreliable and at worst, completely useless.

Varying usage factors, on the other hand, can be accounted for: I can take into account signal and brightness levels’ impact on battery life, and heavy apps like gaming, as well. I can also look at the other end of the spectrum: iBooks is extremely efficient (I got 21.5 hours of screen-on time on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 9, when standard use gave me about 14). I can’t do that with standby drop, like I said.

wapvi

macrumors member
May 24, 2015
Is your phone restored from the backup of the previous 12 Pro that went bad right after the iOS 16 install?
If so, have you tried setting up as new, if even for just a few hours?
Idle draining should not happen. Can you see if there is an offending app?
Yes it's from last back up as I have a lot of apps that can't bother reinstalling 9ne by one and losing all it's data. But the problem is the idling drain, I don't see any activity yet it drops few % every hour and I hated that when I had my Samsung S devices and didn't experience it on the 12 PM. I might delete new installed apps although none of them appears on battery stats

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
As a test, disable Wi-Fi and turn off cellular data and see what happens after a few hours. Bet the battery doesn’t drain much

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Will do, but then what would it prove? That's I can't use my phone

Unless you have WI-FI calling…. I’ve just started putting my iPhone 14 PM on airplane mode when im home because i added a 2nd line and using 2 esim and my battery life is affected. But i still get all my phone calls, text ,FaceTime etc all via wifi.
456b01f2771b30a4020b20d082b9bb3b.png

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Unless you have WI-FI calling…. I’ve just started putting my iPhone 14 PM on airplane mode when im home because i added a 2nd line and using 2 esim and my battery life is affected. But i still get all my phone calls, text ,FaceTime etc all via wifi.
456b01f2771b30a4020b20d082b9bb3b.png
I have two eSIM and also noticed that it does affect the battery negatively (phone trying to stay connected to two carriers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.