Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going caseless?

• Caseless? Are you mad?!

Votes: 236 43.4%
  • Caseless? What the hells a case?!

Votes: 185 34.0%
  • Still thinking about it.....Maybe...

Votes: 123 22.6%

• Total voters

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
As title suggests I’m so close to going full time caseless with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I spent the last 3 months using my 13 Pro Max without a case and found that once I got used to it in the hand it was perfectly comfortable to hold. I did not drop or bang it once (in fact have only dropped one iPhone since the 3).

So far with the 14 I have the Apple Leather case but do keep taking it off every now and again. I guess because it’s brand new “we” tend to baby our new phones but as I say, thinking of going caseless.

I have AppleCare Plus for any bad accidents. I do know that that does not cover scratches etc (which would drive me nuts!) but again, I’ve NEVER had any scratches on any of my. iPhones. I am careful with my iPhones and am always aware of where they are and where I place them down.

Anyway, enough rambling, I’m interested in your thoughts. I know there’ll be for and against views but am interested to know? So, caseless or with case? Thanks.

Youngsmoooveee

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2021
As title suggests I’m so close to going full time caseless with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I spent the last 3 months using my 13 Pro Max without a case and found that once I got used to it in the hand it was perfectly comfortable to hold. I did not drop or bang it once (in fact have only dropped one iPhone since the 3).

So far with the 14 I have the Apple Leather case but do keep taking it off every now and again. I guess because it’s brand new “we” tend to baby our new phones but as I say, thinking of going caseless.

I have AppleCare Plus for any bad accidents. I do know that that does not cover scratches etc (which would drive me nuts!) but again, I’ve NEVER had any scratches on any of my. iPhones. I am careful with my iPhones and am always aware of where they are and where I place them down.

Anyway, enough rambling, I’m interested in your thoughts. I know there’ll be for and against views but am interested to know? So, caseless or with case? Thanks.
Without screen protector as well?

Reactions: Brad7

Gsxr750

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2022
I definitely like the phone better without a case. But with the glass back I just don’t trust myself at work with it. And it proved worthwhile. Was getting out of my work truck the other day and forgot my phone was on my lap. Went bouncing off the concrete street. Not a scratch on the phone or the case. My own fault. But it happens.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
I haven’t used a case on an iPhone for the last 3-4 phones that I have owned. I like to enjoy my devices the way they were designed. Like buying a Porsche and driving around with a car bra over the front! I’m way more careful with my phone knowing it has no cover. In fact I would say that’s why my iPhone 12 Pro ?sold yesterday) was in such good condition haha.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I know what you mean — I went naked while I was waiting for a case, and now I don’t like cases as much.

I did find a case from Moshi called the iGlaze clear that I like, but this is the only case I would probably use. Ideally, there would a magnetic folio that I could use for some situations where I needed extra protection, but also allow me to go naked quickly.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I go caseless part of the time, mostly when my phone will be around soft surfaces. For example, I go caseless at home because I have carpets and most of my furniture is soft (couch, chair, bed). I sometimes will go caseless at work since we have carpet majority of the spaces there, but other times it’s just easier to keep case on. For when I’m out and about (outside, running errands, out to eat, shopping, festivals, concerts, going out for drinks, gym, etc.) I use a case.

This is the best happy medium for me because I prefer not to use a case but I also like my device to be flawless. And it’s simply not worth hundreds of dollars to me to risk a cracked screen or scratched device just for slightly better ergonomics and feel.

sparkles61785

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I went caseless with my 11 pro max for a few years, and I loved being caseless! I never dropped it from my hands, though it slipped out of my scrub pockets plenty of times onto concrete, tiled floors, and wooden floors. The phone never shattered, although plenty of glass screen protectors have. These phones are built incredibly well!

This year, I purchased an apple leather case for nights out and adventurous outings. I’m uaing it until my Sena sleeve arrives. Then I’m going to go caseless with a glass screen protector again. I have to say, it is nice being able to be a little more careless with the phone while it’s in the leather case. But nothing beats the feel of a naked iPhone!

Reactions: Luba and AVBeatMan

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
I switched to caseless the last few months with my 12 Pro, and am sticking with it for the 14 Pro. Tried the Spigen screen protector for a bit, but didn’t like it - weirdly slick and messed up the sensitivity so edge swipes failed a lot. I just think it feels better to use, and am not that worried about dropping it. I did however buy AC+ for the first time.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

cbcasas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Been caseless and screen protectorless since the XS. I don’t drop it too often. Although I will never go caseless with a silver iPhone. Those stainless sides are unforgiving. I’d be using a case if I didn’t have AppleCare. It’s nice to have to be able to fully enjoy the phone in its full nakedness

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
I actually use a case and not a screen protector.

The screen itself feels miles better than any screen protector.
I would say to take extra care, I already scratched mine before my protector arrived (visible under light only). I put the phone and the Apple Watch with Stainless steel loop in same pocket to wash face and hand, it somehow got in contact while taking out and scratched.

Honestly, I feel much smother with screen protector.

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
I absolutely like to go Caseless. But there will come a day, that will get it dropped and will be of no value within a second. Also, I have a work phone and both phone in one pocket won’t work without case unfortunately. So, maybe if I ever drop it and get damaged by a little, then I will go caseless lol (hopefully NEVER).

I had my iPhone XS caseless after dropping it once and was great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.