Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Funny; I'm quite disappointed with the blue in iPhone 13 Pro series. Too light, almost to the. point of no colour depending on the lighting.
That’s actually my complaint with most of the pro special colors I’ve had or seen: in a lot of typical indoor lighting conditions they turn into a murky muddle of some color you can’t quite make out because it’s been desaturated so much. I had the blue 13 Pro and it looked soupy pale grey most of the time. It was really pretty outdoors, though.

For the 15 Pro, I’m hoping it’s a good solid unmistakable deep blue in all decent lighting conditions. I don’t want it defaulting to some weird grey color unless I’m standing outside in sunlight.

I want to see blue. Just deep pure blue.

Even then, I’ll likely choose silver. 😆

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
That’s actually my complaint with most of the pro special colors I’ve had or seen: in a lot of typical indoor lighting conditions they turn into a murky muddle of some color you can’t quite make out because it’s been desaturated so much. I had the blue 13 Pro and it looked soupy pale grey most of the time. It was really pretty outdoors, though.

For the 15 Pro, I’m hoping it’s a good solid unmistakable deep blue in all decent lighting conditions. I don’t want it defaulting to some weird grey color unless I’m standing outside in sunlight.

I want to see blue. Just deep pure blue.

Even then, I’ll likely choose silver. 😆
My guess is that, under poor lighting, the Dark Blue color will look like midnight, or even just black.
But even in that case, I feel that will be my favorite color. I remember liking the midnight color a lot, but my only complain being it looked black in many environments, and only when hit with bright light you could actually see the blue hue. So with Dark Blue being a bluer midnight, I honestly think I’m gonna love it!

PS: I will wait all of the PWM crew on the thread, for the first 15 pro impressions. I’m really hoping this years screens are better in that regard, although I doubt it. The new OLED materials are coming next year with the 16 lineup, but I have no idea what’s the source of that problem.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
  • Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh no, that really sucks :/ I’ve heard a lot about pwm sensitivity. I really hope the 15 series improves on that aspect. It really sucks that the you can’t fully enjoy the device you want to use because of that ☹️
Thank you. Yeah I can only just stay optimistic, give it a try, and if it doesn’t work out, I stay grateful I have this 12 Pro Max option that does work so well for me.

I’m also fortunate to have some Android phones to switch to that are even easier on the eyes. I just can’t make Android my primary or only device. I’m too heavily invested in iOS features.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
Thank you. Yeah I can only just stay optimistic, give it a try, and if it doesn’t work out, I stay grateful I have this 12 Pro Max option that does work so well for me.

I’m also fortunate to have some Android phones to switch to that are even easier on the eyes. I just can’t make Android my primary or only device. I’m too heavily invested in iOS features.
I was gonna ask- do the flagship androids (like s23U and pixel 7 pro) have the same pwm issues?

I heard there’s an app on android called beeper that allows you to iMessage (although there’s a waitlist to get it) and there’s an app that sort of allows you to airdrop to macs.

Obviously neither are 100% replicas but I heard they do a pretty good job and might be worth checking out if it helps!!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My guess is that, under poor lighting, the Dark Blue color will look like midnight, or even just black.
But even in that case, I feel that will be my favorite color. I remember liking the midnight color a lot, but my only complain being it looked black in many environments, and only when hit with bright light you could actually see the blue hue. So with Dark Blue being a bluer midnight, I honestly think I’m gonna love it!

PS: I will wait all of the PWM crew on the thread, for the first 15 pro impressions. I’m really hoping this years screens are better in that regard, although I doubt it. The new OLED materials are coming next year with the 16 lineup, but I have no idea what’s the source of that problem.
I guess I don’t mind it looking black in some indoor lighting. That’s not unreasonable. I’m just a little tired of colors looking grey or brown. I had the Pacific Blue 12 Pro very briefly.

It was a pretty color in good light but to my absolute shock it had kind of a seaweed brown-green tinge in a lot of indoor lighting. And while I’m a big fan of teal, there was a teal undertone in there somewhere that just didn’t work for me on that phone. My husband was a huge fan of the color though and I can appreciate that it was a success with many people. And Pacific Ocean waters do have a bit of a blue green to them.

I guess I was just hoping for more of a navy blue. I’ve been dreaming of a deep pure blue for years.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I was gonna ask- do the flagship androids (like s23U and pixel 7 pro) have the same pwm issues?

I heard there’s an app on android called beeper that allows you to iMessage (although there’s a waitlist to get it) and there’s an app that sort of allows you to airdrop to macs.

Obviously neither are 100% replicas but I heard they do a pretty good job and might be worth checking out if it helps!!
They do have the same pwm issues for most other people. They don’t pose a problem for me…except to say my first s23 Ultra did and I attempted to return it.

Unfortunately the phone was stolen at some point on the way to Samsung or in their facility and dealing with Samsung on the matter was not good and I’m done with them for that reason. (The matter is more complex than I can get into here).

Anyway, the first s23 Ultra screen had a terrible off axis color shift and flicker. I could not really stand to look at it. My second one I purchased from Amazon was perfect. But Samsung has made some tweaks to get significantly better power efficiency from the display and that does make flicker worse than in the previous generation. I can tolerate it but eventually fatigue sets in and that never happened on the S22 Ultra.

The s22 Ultra display gives me the greatest comfort in prolonged use. Even though it cost me, I am glad I ended up keeping the S22 Ultra because of the theft snafu. It’s the display I read on the most at home on Wi-Fi usage.
My Pixel 7a display is comfortable to use. But my Pixel 6 Pro that I used to have was not comfortable. That’s why I traded it for the 7a. Pixels are all over the place. I never know what to expect. I never owned the Pixel 7 Pro but from what I saw in Best Buy, the display would have given me trouble.

If I continue to pursue Android use in the future, I might start considering Motorola because they’re actively engaged in addressing the pwm effect on visual health.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
🤔

iPhone-15-Colors-Mock-2-Feature.jpg

iphone5c-header.jpg
The microphone on those were so horrible, anyone with one was completely unintelligible. I instantly knew when I was talking to someone with one of those. Most of the time I just said “sorry, I can hear that you have an iPhone 5c and I can’t understand anything you’ve said, call me back when you get a better phone”

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
I like all the pro colours. Currently on a blue 12 Pro Max so probably going to lean towards grey or maybe black this time since I’ve been with team blue for 3 years and it looks like this years blue is going to be very close to what I already have. Got to mix it up.

Keen to see how light plays off the finishes.

814MB

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2023
PA
I’m gonna keep my 13 Pro. However, if the 15 Pro were to come in a true black, or navy blue, I’d consider an upgrade. Maybe.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I usually get space gray every time. I missed the midnight green or whatever it was called because it was in-between upgrade years for me (usually 2-3 years). If the 16 pro max gets a green that will probably be my next choice.

I don't see why they would attempt another blue iPhone. I thought the burnt orange /red / copper (whatever you call it) mock up was a good idea.

I still don't understand the obsession with pastel colors for their devices. Personally if they went the iPod nano route with the slightly darker metallic rainbow choices they would be popular but I don't have a clue how marketing works.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
I’m Going to assume the reason the Pro colours suck donkey dong is because titanium is a massive pain to colour.

looking at the titanium Watch with series 7, it was natural titanium and Space black Which I expect to be the ultra Watch colours as well this year.

Apple_watch-series7-availability_titanium_10052021_big_carousel.jpg.small_2x.jpg

So a version of Space black is sticking around along with some new blue with grey hues and the natural titanium will either have this titan grey back which I actually really like, and silver which should be simple to make.

iPhone-15-Pro-3.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.