Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Mute button is not something I’ll ever see as an advantage over the switch, which quickly tells me if the phone is muted or not upon touching it or looking at it. Change for the sake of change.
Completely wrong take. This is the one thing that can't be a software control or part of Focus because of it being a stupid switch. Thank goodness they are finally changing it.

You're also just assuming they won't add a visual indicator, one that is even easier to see than today. Which is a bad assumption.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
And on the latest episode of “Companies who damage their own products”…
Not everything must be “touch sensitive”!!!, buttons and knobs have their function and and convenience some times!.
Ever heard of “The best tool for the job”?. I can use the button or feel the status while in the cinema, or in the pocket or in a meeting without having to look at the phone.BRINGBACKTHEMUTEBUTTON

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Fascinating....when you have a mature product, like the iPhone, to differentiate it from year-year, you come up with these minute and ridiculous changes for the sake of change.
Nice cut and paste post, but what a terrible take. iPhone is desperately in need of ring/silent being available to the software, and this is how you get there.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The only time I use the mute switch is when taking the phone in/out the case, so accidental use, always keep my phone on silent.
But whatever, I want periscope lens and USB-C to upgrade from 13PRoMax…

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
So I can no longer tell if my phone is muted in a sensitive situation by simply sticking my hand in my pocket and feeling it?

Call me petty, but I will never own an iPhone again if they remove the switch on all the models. This is not the first or even the fifth genuinely useful feature that brought me to iPhone originally that Apple kills for the sake of “change.”

Different doesn’t mean better, Tim. If it works, leave it alone!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Probably for waterproofing. So not for nothing. Doesn't mean it is an important feature for everyone, but it isn't an example of 'change for changes sake' I don't think, since there IS a likely reason.

I do like that MUTE could become just another setting I can adjust like VOLUME now. Or even with Siri. (Probably.)

The phone is already waterproof, and has been for several iterations.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Probably for waterproofing. So not for nothing. Doesn't mean it is an important feature for everyone, but it isn't an example of 'change for changes sake' I don't think, since there IS a likely reason.

I do like that MUTE could become just another setting I can adjust like VOLUME now. Or even with Siri. (Probably.)

The existing mute switch is already waterproof.

Current iPhone only needs a rubber ring where the switch assembly meets the phone chassis. Capacitive button won’t change that. If a capacitive button were needed for waterproofing, it would be implemented already in Watch/Ultra.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Mark my words: Willing to bet good money the volume “bar” will act as both a volume button / rocker as well as a slider that you can swipe your finger across to raise and lower the volume smoothly.

I would also not be surprised if these capacitive surfaces offered more gesture support in other applications based on context.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
That’s lame. You can really tell when Apple’s designs are based on saving money instead of improving the experience

Mark my words: Willing to bet good money the volume “bar” will act as both a volume button / rocker as well as a slider that you can swipe your finger across to raise and lower the volume smoothly.

I would also not be surprised if these capacitive surfaces offered more gesture support in other applications based on context.

Anyone who experienced the capacitive iPod knows why this is a bad idea. It was absolutely terrible to use

allanq

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
I wonder if these controls work like the latest AirPods Pro by sliding a finger up/down over that area. It could prevent accidental button presses.

Reactions: AdamNC

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010

As previously rumored, the next-generation iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature a unified volume button and a mute button, according to leaked CAD images shared on the Chinese version of TikTok and posted to Twitter by ShrimpApplePro.

iPhone-15-Pro-Buttons-CAD.jpeg

Instead of separate buttons for volume up and volume down, the iPhone 15 Pro models are expected to have a single elongated button for adjusting the volume. Meanwhile, the mute switch that has been present ever since the original iPhone in 2007 is expected to become a mute button that can be pressed to turn the iPhone's ringer on or off.

Both the volume and mute buttons are rumored to have a solid-state design. Instead of physically moving, the buttons would provide haptic feedback from two additional Taptic Engines inside the iPhone to simulate the feeling of movement, similar to the Home button on the latest iPhone SE or the Force Touch trackpad on modern MacBooks.

The standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus models are still expected to have two physical volume buttons and a mute switch. Apple should announce the entire iPhone 15 series in September as usual.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro Leak Reveals Unified Volume Button and Mute Button
It will be REVOLUTIONARY! Many will spend what ever the cost.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

b4ulaf

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
First, I'm loving the new overall design so far. I'm OK with the volume up/down "button", but I am definitely concerned about the mute "button." I hope they come up with a good way to prevent accidental mute ON/OFF actions. The current mute switch feels more secure to me.

boak

macrumors 65832
Jun 26, 2021
What if the button was more of an action button akin to that on the Apple Watch Ultra? Could be useful for those want it as mute to have the function or those who want to setup as something else. I do see the logic on the current switch design but will be interesting to see how it works as a button.
The implementation of an action button doesn't necessarily require the removal of the mute switch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.