Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Picture of the flolab with border check.

BTW.. The coating out of the box on this protector is a fingerprint magnet!

IMG_0492.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PaladinGuy

mtea

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2024
I've just bought the iPhone 15 Pro and I'm bewildered that all of the tempered glass screen protectors cover the camera, causing image distortion. Are there any with the cut out at the top that fit a 15 Pro that anyone can recommend?

I've been searching far and wide on the internet but can't seem to find anything. I tried my iPhone 13 old screen to see if it would fit but the camera alignment is different so whilst the overall screen size fits, the cut out is in the wrong location for the 15 Pro.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Flolab are simply re-packaged AliExpress products it seems so I'm not surprised at the poor quality of the screen protectors from them.

magicgoldenfruit

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2024
It came in today and I just applied it. There is definitely a difference. The corners are rounded and you can’t feel your finger catching on the edges if you don’t have a case like you can on the original. The edge goes closer to the edge of the phone, I really doubt anyone could tell there is a screen protector on unless you were the one who applied it. It looks seamless.

Time will tell how much the edges catch dust. With a case I don’t know that it’s worth the upgrade, but if you don’t use one, this new model is definitely the better choice. If it turns out there isn’t as much dust, I would say it’s worth it even with a case. But I don’t think it will work with thick cases that cover the edges. I use the fine woven and there is no issues with fit.

It still cuts off the edges of the screen, maybe a little more on the corners? I can’t really tell, it isn’t that much worse, but it is still an issue. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
Does it cut off the edges of the screen more than the original version or is it the same? If it’s the same I’m thinking about getting this one instead.

magicgoldenfruit

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2024
It came in today and I just applied it. There is definitely a difference. The corners are rounded and you can’t feel your finger catching on the edges if you don’t have a case like you can on the original. The edge goes closer to the edge of the phone, I really doubt anyone could tell there is a screen protector on unless you were the one who applied it. It looks seamless.

Time will tell how much the edges catch dust. With a case I don’t know that it’s worth the upgrade, but if you don’t use one, this new model is definitely the better choice. If it turns out there isn’t as much dust, I would say it’s worth it even with a case. But I don’t think it will work with thick cases that cover the edges. I use the fine woven and there is no issues with fit.

It still cuts off the edges of the screen, maybe a little more on the corners? I can’t really tell, it isn’t that much worse, but it is still an issue. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
Does it cut off the edges of the screen more than the original version or is it the same? If it’s the same I’m thinking about getting this one instead

nxt3

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
Flolab are simply re-packaged AliExpress products it seems so I'm not surprised at the poor quality of the screen protectors from them.
Can you please link to the Aliexpress "Flolab" protectors? If there are cheaper anti-glare coated glass protectors out there, the people deserve to know!

Last edited:

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Can you please link to the Aliexpress "Flolab" protectors? If there are cheaper anti-glare coated glass protectors out there, the people deserve to know!
I'll try to find a link...

nxt3

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
I'll try to find a link...
I mean, shouldn’t you already have one? Making a claim that bold needs to be backed up. From a quick search on Aliexpress, I can’t find anything that suggests Flolab is selling Aliexpress protectors.

I’d love to be wrong given the cost, but this really doesn’t look good.

Reactions: TotalMacMove

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I mean, shouldn’t you already have one? Making a claim that bold needs to be backed up. From a quick search on Aliexpress, I can’t find anything that suggests Flolab is selling Aliexpress protectors.

I’d love to be wrong given the cost, but this really doesn’t look good.

It is surely impossible to tell?

I’ve had mine a few weeks, the anti-reflection coating genuinely is nothing I have ever seen before but whether it will eventually show up on other brands I don’t know. These protectors are all made in China/Korea and the patent law in the former is pretty much non-existent so I imagine a company will steal it before long. My guess would be that most brands use a manufacturer in China somewhere that is some standard specification and they tweak it as they like. That’s not the same as just shipping stuff straight from AliExpress though. The only thing that does make me a bit suspicious is that they seemed to add the dust removal feature when the Chinese brands did.

I have enjoyed the Flolab but the oleophobic coating is pretty average. Already wearing off after a couple of weeks. Still much better than the TORAS

nxt3

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
It is surely impossible to tell?

I’ve had mine a few weeks, the anti-reflection coating genuinely is nothing I have ever seen before but whether it will eventually show up on other brands I don’t know. These protectors are all made in China/Korea and the patent law in the former is pretty much non-existent so I imagine a company will steal it before long. My guess would be that most brands use a manufacturer in China somewhere that is some standard specification and they tweak it as they like. That’s not the same as just shipping stuff straight from AliExpress though. The only thing that does make me a bit suspicious is that they seemed to add the dust removal feature when the Chinese brands did.

I have enjoyed the Flolab but the oleophobic coating is pretty average. Already wearing off after a couple of weeks. Still much better than the TORAS
It would be great if a cheaper version of a Flolab surfaced, I'm all for it. But yeah the coating is trash--there are times where my screen feels rough almost, never had a screen protector feel like this.

i007

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tri-State
I’ve had the Flolab on for about 2 months. Anti glare is great, oleophobic coating is not great. Took about a month for it to become a fingerprint and smudge magnet. Seems like a weird model year for protectors as some cut off the screen, others have the rainbow effect or poor coating.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I got this one from QDOS for my 15 Pro Max:

OptiGuard ECO GLASS

It was the last one for my 13 Pro Max as well. It comes with a frame to apply the screen protector and covers the active part of the screen perfectly so no worries about the curve. I find it so far easy to clean and no issue with fingerprints. Be careful installing as you swing the frame shut not to trap dust (even if you wipe the screen carefully) it happened with the old phone.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
ESR has been putting off sending me a replacement because they can't guarantee that the one they send me is old stock or the new (updated) version.
My last install of an Ultraglass got a nice scratch in it the other day and coincidentally ESR emailed and asked if I still wanted to wait longer or chance it and have one shipped. I opted to have one sent to me. I just installed it and it is the same as the original I installed 6 months ago. The double line border test cuts off one line on the left side. The black border on these appears bigger than the other top recommendations too.
It's really too bad because the coating on it is top notch. I'll leave it on for now until it scratches or the coating starts to go. At that point I'll stick another Ulraglass on.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Try a matte screen protector, I’ll never go back to a standard glass one now. Looks nice and doesn’t get covered in smudges etc.

nxt3

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
is flolab the only company that doesn’t cut off any of the screen? Product has horrible reviews on amazon.
WSKEN also doesn’t. Flolab is hit or miss if you read around on this thread. Anecdotally, Flolab was fine for me.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I am an idiot. I had a Hoda Sapphire Screen Protector on and I was very happy. But I read and heard a lot good things about the anti reflective coating of the Flolab and ordered one.
The oelophic coating is really bad and makes it absolutely useless for me. It is worse than many AliExress Tempered Glasses.
I still had a WSKEN and changed it to that after 2 days of trying. The Anti-reflective Coating istn`t that noticeble either in normal use imo

While using the WKSEN which works good, I am waiting for my new Hoda Sapphire again. I just really like the smoothness and cool touch of the sapphire ones.

So I wasted a lot of money the in the last week but I learned a lesson.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
Shipping is 30$ and it arrives within 1 week in Europe. Shellrus charges 50$ shipping and it takes 3-4 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.