Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next-generation iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max will feature a USB-C port with support for at least USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, which would give the devices a significant speed advantage over existing models.

iPhone-14-Pro-Display-and-Camera.jpeg

Thunderbolt 3 theoretically offers bandwidth of up to 40 Gbps, while the Lightning connector has USB 2.0 speeds of up to 480 Mbps on all existing iPhones. Even with real-world performance limitations, an iPhone 15 Pro with a Thunderbolt-enabled USB-C port would offer significantly faster data transfer speeds with a Thunderbolt cable, making it much quicker to get large files on and off of the iPhone, such as 48-megapixel ProRAW photos.

Even if the iPhone 15 Pro models only get USB 3.2 support, that would mean theoretical transfer speeds of between 5 Gbps and 20 Gbps depending on the exact specification, which would still be significantly faster than Lightning.

Most iPads with USB-C ports already offer faster transfer speeds. iPad Pro models with the M1 chip and newer support Thunderbolt 3 for bandwidth of up to 40 Gbps, the fifth-generation iPad Air is capable of 10 Gbps, and the fourth-generation iPad Air and latest iPad mini are capable of up to 5 Gbps. The sole exception is the new 10th-generation standard iPad with a USB-C port, which remains limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

Like the 10th-generation iPad, Kuo said the standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus will remain limited to USB 2.0 speeds, despite switching to a USB-C port. AirDrop would remain an option for faster wireless data transfers on these devices.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro Rumored to Feature Thunderbolt Port With Significant Advantage Over Lightning

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I really hope Apple doesn’t tout this as the must have feature for the 15 and leaves everything else the same as the 14. That’s probably what will happen though…
Apple will not neglect the A17 3nm, some camera improvements and this thunderbolt 3

Like the 10th-generation iPad, Kuo said the standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus will remain limited to USB 2.0 speeds, despite switching to a USB-C port. AirDrop would remain an option for faster wireless data transfers on these devices.
iPhone 15 and 15 Plus will remain limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

That is such an Apple thing to do. Moving forward, Why not just focus on the Pro models only swiftly?

Who are we kidding? iPhone 15 Ultra should have the fastest wireless experience...fastest wireless charging...fastest wireless file transfer...wireless lossless audio for next generation AirPods Max. That puts the ultra in Ultra. 🤪
What would the world do if Apple decides to introduce iPhone 15 Mini Ultra?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Who even use the USB-C for something than charging? Does it really matter...
Anyone who wants to transfer large video files taken using their 48mp camera with pro-res.

And it does matter. When a low end phone costs $200 from Best Buy, a $1200 phone better contain all of the bells and whistles, not just "some" because Apple wants to continue profiting with their Lightning licenses.

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
apple better not make it usb 2.0 speeds . Seriously especially now that they have more room by removing sim card and inserting trash plastic spacer. I actually need high speeds I use sony cameras for photography and when i don’t have my ipad to backup to lightroom i have my cf express reader on me with sadly a usbc to lightning cable to back up my photos to lightroom on my iphone 13 pro max . Slow process shooting uncompressed raw 70-100mb each photo. Apple literally is hindering their phones but yet want people to record in prores

Reactions: Wags

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
I don’t see the iPhone coming with a thunderbolt port. How is it to power certain thunderbolt devices that suck up to 15W of power ? If it does great, but usb3.2 10 gbps would be just fine as well. Way better than usb2.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Up to now only iPads with M-series and A_X/Z-series SoCs have 10 Gbps or faster USB-C ports whereas iPads with regular A-series SoCs have 5 Gbps or slower USB-C ports so I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 15 Pro with A17 just gets a 5 Gbps USB-C port.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
After years of pushing wireless-everything, Apple will make a feature out of adding TB 3 speed to the wired connection on the pro model? Why?

Can't they just fix the embarrassing USB 2.0 speed issue on their phones, move to 3.x and call it a day - and not try to make a selling point out of their after-thought?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.