Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung Display is developing new under-panel camera technology that Apple plans to use to hide Face ID under the display on next year's tentatively named "iPhone 15 Pro" models, according to sources cited by Korean website The Elec.

iPhone-14-Hole-Punch-Feature.jpg

While rumors suggest that this year's "iPhone 14 Pro" models will feature both a "hole-punch" and a pill-shaped cutout for the front camera and Face ID components, respectively, today's report claims that Apple is planning for iPhone 15 Pro models to have only a hole for the front camera, with Face ID appearing hidden under the display.

Samsung's technology would effectively make Face ID sensors look invisible to the naked eye, in a similar manner as the hidden under-display camera on its Galaxy Z Fold3 smartphone, according to the report. On the Fold3, the pixel density over the under-display camera is lower compared to the rest of the display to allow light to reach the camera, but this results in the camera producing relatively low-quality photos.

It remains to be seen if the under-display version of Face ID would be as effective or secure as the existing system in a notch, or if there would be any other tradeoffs. Samsung is said to be collaborating with Canada's OTI Lumionics to develop the technology.

In its Korean-language version of the report, The Elec said Samsung first plans to apply the technology to its so-called "Galaxy Z Fold5" next year if development is completed on schedule, followed by the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.

This is far from the first time that under-display Face ID has been rumored for the iPhone. In an April 2021 research note, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that he expected Apple to adopt under-display Face ID for at least one new iPhone model launching in 2023, but he did not provide any further details at the time. Display industry consultant Ross Young also claimed Face ID would not be moved under the display until at least 2023.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro Rumored to Feature Under-Screen Face ID System From Samsung

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo

DHagan4755

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Not sure how well it would work over what we have now...but if it's just as good, it's too bad the tech won't be ready for the upcoming iPhone 14 Pro model for this year.

Reactions: SqlInjection

ian87w

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Samsung's technology would effectively make Face ID sensors look invisible to the naked eye, in a similar manner as the hidden under-display camera on its Galaxy Z Fold3 smartphone, according to the report. On the Fold3, the pixel density over the under-display camera is lower compared to the rest of the display to allow light to reach the camera, but this results in the camera producing relatively low-quality photos.
No, the under display camera on the Z Fold 3 is not invisible. It's actually obvious, especially when displaying certain brightness/color. It makes the phone looks uglier than it should be with the pseudo camera hole. And worse, as stated, the photo qualities are bad. I don't think it's worth it.

Greatness617

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2017

Samsung Display is developing new under-panel camera technology that Apple plans to use to hide Face ID under the display on next year's tentatively named "iPhone 15 Pro" models, according to sources cited by Korean website The Elec.

iPhone-14-Hole-Punch-Feature.jpg

While rumors suggest that this year's "iPhone 14 Pro" models will feature both a "hole-punch" and a pill-shaped cutout for the front camera and Face ID components, respectively, today's report claims that Apple is planning for iPhone 15 Pro models to have only a hole for the front camera, with Face ID appearing hidden under the display.

It remains to be seen if the under-display version of Face ID would be as effective or secure as the existing system in a notch, or if there would be any other tradeoffs. Samsung is said to be collaborating with Canada's OTI Lumionics to develop the technology.

In its Korean-language version of the report, The Elec said Samsung first plans to apply the technology to its so-called "Galaxy Z Fold5" next year if development is completed on schedule, followed by the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.

This is far from the first time that under-display Face ID has been rumored for the iPhone. In an April 2021 research note, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that he expected Apple to adopt under-display Face ID for at least one new iPhone model launching in 2023, but he did not provide any further details at the time. Display industry consultant Ross Young also claimed Face ID would not be moved under the display until at least 2023.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro Rumored to Feature Under-Screen Face ID System From Samsung
Man I am over it! No innovation since X

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I said I wouldn’t upgrade my iPhone x with a cracked screen and weak battery until the notch (and all of its successors, e.g. a black hole) is gone. Looks like I’m going to be staring at that crack for quite a bit longer…

Hyperchaotic

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2005
iPhone 15 rumors now? Throw out random rumors at wall and see what sticks because in 1.5 years people won't remember any of this if it doesn't materialize.

Well, yes it's a rumor all right but OTI Lumionics does specialize in under screen IR sensors. Regardless of the name of this website, it's nice when a rumor have details like that making them a bit more interesting.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
It bothers me a bit, even though I know these are separate teams, that they obsess so much about these types of things rather than software quality. All these things like bringing the display to the edges and making the "chrome" totally disappear or hiding any semblance that there is underlying tech to make it appear magic seem like frosting on a cake that is underbaked. A phone with a huge forehead and chin is completely usable, as the iPhone SE makes evident. These types of things are more like CES novelties and not the things that made me like Apple from the beginning, which had more to do with things just working (things like iSync for example, which synced third party devices between Apple device more reliably than I'm currently able to sync two first-party Apple devices). Apple didn't used to be afraid of putting out a better quality but older looking or slower product. That's still true to an extent (not on speed, but being more conservative with form factors), but they've really let software development slide. I think there would still be a strong contingency of iPhone fans even with the big chins, or even if Face ID were a solid bar at the top (I think a more elegant solution than the notch).

(I should point out I don't use my iPhone much at all; I am much more a computer person, so my comments on software relate more to the state of Mac. Although I do also have some software complaints about iOS.)

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
It bothers me a bit, even though I know these are separate teams, that they obsess so much about these types of things rather than software quality.
It definitely has been discussed that iOS has had some trouble faults over the last two years, but what would you expect Apple to do in terms of enticing users otherwise? My point is, of course they have to make changes to show that there’s a disparity of iPhone hardware advancements with Face ID, camera upgrades, ProMotion display, wireless charging, etc. It’s not enough for the consumer just to have to focus on iOS through some minor conference at WWDC that they don’t pay attention to, but the main stage in September and where Apple shows the advancements of what makes the next iPhone worth the consumers to upgrade.

Yes, iOS is equally in tandem just as important as the hardware is, because it’s a mutual effect of both working together to give that unique experience, but Apple also understands the demographic that isn’t paying attention just to iOS, but sometimes people are simpletons where they only can compute the main marketing points of a camera Apple emphasizes as a selling point.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.