Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
You have to get something like a Samsung A5* for it to be good enough. When buying Android, it's better to get a recent OnePlus or ASUS phone in order to get enough power for a decent price. Samsung offers refurbished phones for decent prices, as well but you have to choose carefully.
That’s the problem. For android to be as great as its fanboys make it out to be I shouldn’t have to do all this compromising or settling for this or they one.

At least with an iPhone I’m really only choosing between camera quality and screen size.

Reactions: bousozoku

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Have the 15 Pro Max. Happy with the photo and video quality. Very good cameras on the latest iPhones

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Sure, but it makes you sit up and think, oh wait, maybe now there are other alternatives to the iPhone that are just as good, or even better. Maybe some of the top Android phones have caught up, or even surpassed the iPhones. If someone like MKBHD is giving his phone of the year award to anything other than an iPhone, then maybe it's time to have a look.

I have a couple of friends who gave me a run down on what their Pixel phones could do, and I was like, oh wow, damn I wish my phone could do that. I'd already had a love/hate relationship with my iPhone, so did some research, watched a bunch of review vids, and took a punt on the Pixel 8 when the Black Friday sales came on. So glad I did, it's a breath of fresh air, there's no way I'm switching back to iPhones any time soon.

And this is coming from someone who lives and breaths a MBP. I love macOS, love the new Apple Silicon laptops, and you'd have to peel mine from my cold dead hands. But damn, after owning a Pixel 8, Apple can go stick iOS and the iPhones right where they fit.

I am also thinking about pulling the trigger on a Fold device by next Fall. I am ready to try something fresh as you say. I’ll still have my iPhone 15 Plus for my iOS needs

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Better, and cheaper, than an iPhone.
Cheaper, yes. Better, depends on who you’re talking to. I owned every Pixel phone from the 4 to the 7. Android seemed to be going downhill year after year so I got rid of my pixel 7 and moved over to iPhone, and couldn’t be happier. Just because a device is better for you doesn’t mean it’s better for everyone.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That’s the problem. For android to be as great as its fanboys make it out to be I shouldn’t have to do all this compromising or settling for this or they one.

At least with an iPhone I’m really only choosing between camera quality and screen size.
I get that.

I was using a OnePlus 8T. I switched to a Pixel 6a for compatibility reasons. The Pixel 6a, though newer, is far less powerful than the 8T. The OLED display is difficult to see outside. Android fans (and many iPhone fans) will disparage my 2022 iPhone SE, but I can actually use the phone almost anywhere, and it's quite powerful. I can play those powerful games that lag horribly on the Pixel 6a.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
My complaint was simply that neither side knows what they're talking about. Including MKBHD. He's of course really confident in his opinions and does seem to really appreciate Apple's products. That doesn't mean the world needs to hear him talk about each one for 30 minutes as if he designed it. I have the exact same issue with Federicio Vitticci's 8,000 page iOS reviews.
I suspect people watch him because he is entertaining to watch. He has a nice voice, good to look at, has some charisma that draws you in. The content is secondary. I think that’s how “celebrity” works to some extent.

Nobody is forced to hear him talk for 30 minutes. They chose to spend their limited time on earth doing so, and so it must be enjoyable.

And honestly, most people don’t know all the things. But some people have a way of pulling together bits of information, creating a story or narrative and explaining in a sensible way. People who can do that are valuable, and what they say probably more logical and sensible than what many folks can say based on the same information, even if it is not explaining the cold hard facts.

Having said that, I have only watched maybe 5 or 6 of his videos. But I enjoyed each of them.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I get that.

I was using a OnePlus 8T. I switched to a Pixel 6a for compatibility reasons. The Pixel 6a, though newer, is far less powerful than the 8T. The OLED display is difficult to see outside. Android fans (and many iPhone fans) will disparage my 2022 iPhone SE, but I can actually use the phone almost anywhere, and it's quite powerful. I can play those powerful games that lag horribly on the Pixel 6a.
Oh I definitely wouldn’t disparage you. I am one of the ones who didn’t mind the lack of oled on my 11 and the 15 pm is of course pretty to look at but it’s more of
A superficial thing for me than a need. I do think it is easier to see my 15 pm screen vs my galaxy s22 when I used it.

chinesedemo

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2011
It's so funny, there's people here saying he's not to be trusted as a know-nothing with no insight into Apple's practices. And other people saying that he's not to be trusted because he's an insider shill since he has done interviews with Apple execs. The MR crowd just skews stodgy, and tends toward an irrational hatred of youtubers. The only thing that brings out the grumps more is any mention of a music artist under the age of 30. (who? never heard of her, but she sucks and I hate her!)

Having watched a lot of these low-info tech reviewer channels for years, I'd put MKBHD in the top 3 in terms of content and honesty. I don't think he intentionally stirs the pot or trolls. He certainly doesn't shill for Apple, IMO. If anything, he's an Android fanboy at heart, but he's fair and openminded, and therefore see's the good in both platforms.
I agree, I think there’s a blind hatred towards YouTubers in general these days, and much of it is well earned as most just tend to be grifters, but MKBL tends to put a good deal of effort in his videos.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
How do people actually think YouTubers know anything more about what makes a phone great than the rest of us? Mobile phones, tablets, laptops, etc...have been around forever. Do you really need a YouTuber to tell you which one is "best" for you. Do you not have enough experience with such devices to know what you want? The only time I watch any of these YouTubers is at the launch of a new device. I'm not looking for their opinion on anything. I just want to see the device and get any details not shown at the launch event.

These people make millions off your views and subscription. They need you, you don't need them. Why would you treat them like they're some kind of "expert." It's a complete joke.
Folks on these types of forums may know plenty about the device. Since we tend to watch product launches and are most likely early adopters of new tech. Most people out there though, don't watch the launches and don't follow things as closely as we do. So, a reviewer is a good source of information (quick info). That can help those that just want to know specific things or everything.

Some reviewers (the more popular ones of course) get the product before launch or very near it. So they have time to use it and give a proper review. And since everyone has a different reason for wanting any particular device (Camera, Battery, screen size or type, storage, processing, etc.). They do for the most part (the good reviewers at least) dig into the weeds more than "most" can maybe get at the store. Not every store is an Apple store. So no matter where you purchase something from. You can get a decent if not quality review from the assortment of reviewers to inform you of things important for your purchase.

And some just like to see their take on products.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Oh I definitely wouldn’t disparage you. I am one of the ones who didn’t mind the lack of oled on my 11 and the 15 pm is of course pretty to look at but it’s more of
A superficial thing for me than a need. I do think it is easier to see my 15 pm screen vs my galaxy s22 when I used it.
Does anyone really disparage an SE? I tend toward the higher end for my personal purchases, but when friends/family ask me for purchasing advice, I always mention the SE as a great lower cost option. Modern internals in a different form factor; sure, that form factor is no-frills and a little dated, but there's nothing actually wrong with it. It was great when it was an iPhone 8 (or even a 6 if you squint). For the price, nothing performs like it, and that's where the rubber really meets the road.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Folks on these types of forums may know plenty about the device. Since we tend to watch product launches and are most likely early adopters of new tech. Most people out there though, don't watch the launches and don't follow things as closely as we do. So, a reviewer is a good source of information (quick info). That can help those that just want to know specific things or everything.

Some reviewers (the more popular ones of course) get the product before launch or very near it. So they have time to use it and give a proper review. And since everyone has a different reason for wanting any particular device (Camera, Battery, screen size or type, storage, processing, etc.). They do for the most part (the good reviewers at least) dig into the weeds more than "most" can maybe get at the store. Not every store is an Apple store. So no matter where you purchase something from. You can get a decent if not quality review from the assortment of reviewers to inform you of things important for your purchase.

And some just like to see their take on products.
To be honest, if it weren't for MKBHD and a handful of other youtube channels, I'd probably be entirely ignorant about the majority of current Android phones. I use the OS occasionally for various reasons, but I'm not buying Android phones or tablets personally and aside from the big headline makers like Galaxy's or folds etc, I wouldn't know anything about the ocean of phones out there. Of course I follow iPhone rumors and watch the launches, but I'm simply not paying attention to what Oppo or Motorola or Xiaomi or whoever are putting out. Hell, that's the only reason I ever remember that Sony still makes phones. So it's nice to watch a 15 minute roundup video and at least get a summary.

Reactions: djphat2000

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone really disparage an SE? I tend toward the higher end for my personal purchases, but when friends/family ask me for purchasing advice, I always mention the SE as a great lower cost option. Modern internals in a different form factor; sure, that form factor is no-frills and a little dated, but there's nothing actually wrong with it. It was great when it was an iPhone 8 (or even a 6 if you squint). For the price, nothing performs like it, and that's where the rubber really meets the road.

Honestly, i could get buy with an SE myself truthfully. My phone is mainly used for work purposes which i can get accomplished with an SE3 and selfies lol and social media.

If i didnt get the 15 PM i would still be happily using my 11 as well as that isn't a bad device. Apple was a genius to create the SE line because it finally sort of brought the premium down for iPhones that the 5c didn't.

So now with iPhones you dont have to necessarily settle for TOO MUCH. an SE 3 is basically a smaller 13(the mini of the mini lol) whereas on Android you have to settle for a lot for a base model/entry level Android.

Most people that are negative about the SE try to compare its design to the newer iphones and I am like the SE is not meant to be comparable to the newer iPhones because it literally is for an entirely different demographic. I do think Apple probably at this point should lower the price down to about 379 because the device is incredibly dated (it's an 8 but let's be real we have been using this general design since the iphone 6 in 2014)

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Honestly, i could get buy with an SE myself truthfully. My phone is mainly used for work purposes which i can get accomplished with an SE3 and selfies lol and social media.

If i didnt get the 15 PM i would still be happily using my 11 as well as that isn't a bad device. Apple was a genius to create the SE line because it finally sort of brought the premium down for iPhones that the 5c didn't.

So now with iPhones you dont have to necessarily settle for TOO MUCH. an SE 3 is basically a smaller 13(the mini of the mini lol) whereas on Android you have to settle for a lot for a base model/entry level Android.

Most people that are negative about the SE try to compare its design to the newer iphones and I am like the SE is not meant to be comparable to the newer iPhones because it literally is for an entirely different demographic. I do think Apple probably at this point should lower the price down to about 379 because the device is incredibly dated (it's an 8 but let's be real we have been using this general design since the iphone 6 in 2014)
If I'm not mistaken, the SE is slightly larger than the mini, despite having a smaller screen. But the mini was $300 more, so yeah....

But man, I desperately wish there was modern version of the 5c still in the lineup. Maybe the (unapologetically) plastic design doesn't match Apple's current focus, but they were so much fun and great little phones. The 13 mini had some good colors (red and blue ones looked nice), but they just don't pop like the 5c did.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
If I'm not mistaken, the SE is slightly larger than the mini, despite having a smaller screen. But the mini was $300 more, so yeah....

But man, I desperately wish there was modern version of the 5c still in the lineup. Maybe the (unapologetically) plastic design doesn't match Apple's current focus, but they were so much fun and great little phones. The 13 mini had some good colors (red and blue ones looked nice), but they just don't pop like the 5c did.
It is funny that you mentioned that. I was looking at a video earlier this morning of a 5c in 2023 and surprisingly it can be used (since those can still be jailbroken) to get access to most modern apps.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
It's clearly not as premium as the iPhone, but she hates, hates, hates the iPhone interface and she likes the completely separate work/personal profiles. Money isn't an issue as the phone is just a business expense that she writes off.

Apple really needs a separate work/personal profile. Separate contacts, separate dialer/call logs, separate texting, etc.. I don't like carrying two phones.
On the suggestion of work/personal separation, why wouldn’t Apple flesh out Focus Filters to cater to these customers?

I’m imagining a similarity to how SharePlay was originally built as a tool to ease isolation and the associated physical separation, but has been amended to facilitate “passing the AUX” through CarPlay now that physical separation is not the overwhelming concern.

OnePieceIsReal

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
So you hold a YouTube reviewer that makes trash shoes as the end all for camera reviews lol. Get any photographer and he can instantly spot the over sharpening that all phones use

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
I think my iPhone 15 Pro Max has a great camera... but there's better phone cameras out there, so this is a surprise.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
On the suggestion of work/personal separation, why wouldn’t Apple flesh out Focus Filters to cater to these customers?

I’m imagining a similarity to how SharePlay was originally built as a tool to ease isolation and the associated physical separation, but has been amended to facilitate “passing the AUX” through CarPlay now that physical separation is not the overwhelming concern.

I'd be okay with that, if it was much much more in-depth, like letting an MDM certificate only apply to one focus mode, different DNS setting for each mode, VPN always connected under one, etc..

I don't see that happening.

tmarsden

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2021
THIS.
I agree. Definitely one feature that would be a welcome addition. Also for tablets that are shared in a household.

Apple won’t do this. Why allow family members to share devices when you can put artificial limitations in place that require you to purchase multiple devices?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
He isn’t the Messiah when it comes to phones it’s just his opinion which is subjective he gave the Google pixel eight best phone of the year that’s nonsense. Why do people think that what he says is the blueprint to tech?

I like listening to a wide range of opinions. I can’t think of a single person who is the authority of having the correct opinion on something like this when it is so subjective. These reviewers tend to know more than people like us because it’s their full time job, whereas we are just consumers with preferences.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I'd be okay with that, if it was much much more in-depth, like letting an MDM certificate only apply to one focus mode, different DNS setting for each mode, VPN always connected under one, etc..

I don't see that happening.
For me, on a personal device, MDM is a total no-go, profiles or not. If work wants to manage the device, then they can buy it. Other than that, everything else you listed would be a gift from the heavens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.