Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I guess I’m just blessed with good eyes. Even as a kid before I knew what it was the refresh rate bothered me. It doesn’t bother me on other people’s devices because I’m used to using different computers that aren’t mine. But when it is mine, I can’t stand it.
If I look for it I can still tell, obviously. But at some point it stopped being notable enough in my head for me to consciously take note.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
My honest take: This is cool. Good for iPhone. But I stopped caring about this dude's opinion so long ago. He's a professional troll who's good at video editing.

Edit: I should clarify what I mean-- He is someone in a long list of "YouTubers" who thinks he knows things about things and is good at talking about them as if he's an expert. He has no idea what goes on at Apple or how any of this stuff is created. He's a professional armchair quarterback. The most useless kind of quarterback there is.
Exactly! This is why I don’t believe in the word “influencers“. Unless their needs, habits and use case mirror your own, then anything they say should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Rule of thumb: never blindly rely on someone else’s research.

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
Person praises Apple: they must be an Apple shill
Person praises companies that aren't Apple: they must be an Apple shill

This is why "shill" is up there on the list of terms made meaningless by the internet lol.

I mean, you can do that. Anyone can. And if you build up an audience of 18m people then other websites will probably report on your award.
You can be a shill for multiple companies. You do realize this, don't you?

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
I like watching his content, because I find him to be one of the more balanced reviewers and presents his opinions in an organized, easy to understand fashion. His little awards show is a great way to look over the options of the year, and keep them in mind for recommending devices to friends and family, since not everyone I know is an Apple fan.

He prefaces the entire video by saying it's all his opinion, so I do find some of the ire in the comments quite funny. I know it's an Apple focused website, but Apple devices are not the greatest things ever made.
He's one of the RARE objective reviewers out there. Saying bad when it's bad, and saying good when it's good. I'll put him on par with The Verge (their reviews, not their final scores).

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Exactly! This is why I don’t believe in the word “influencers“. Unless their needs, habits and use case mirror your own, then anything they say should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Rule of thumb: never blindly rely on someone else’s research.
Well believe it, because they exist and do influence people. You're just lucky to be smarter than them.

Reactions: Iwavvns

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Even Tim Cook listens to MKBHD as he has used quotes from MKBHD during Keynotes.

The troll is not MKBHD here, that is for sure.
I’m not trolling Apple or the iPhone. Love both. I’m trolling people who don’t contribute anything useful or valuable to society.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I don't think he ever claimed to have inside information about how things are inside of Apple did he? He's just a reviewer who reviews and gives his opinions on products after they are released. I don't think he claims to be an expert either, just gives folks a first look at newly released products and gives his opinion on it. Not sure how that makes him a troll tbh.
Just want to make clear again, I’m not calling him a troll. I’m saying he’s useless.

ItachiSBT

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2020
My honest take: This is cool. Good for iPhone. But I stopped caring about this dude's opinion so long ago. He's a professional troll who's good at video editing.

Edit: I should clarify what I mean-- He is someone in a long list of "YouTubers" who thinks he knows things about things and is good at talking about them as if he's an expert. He has no idea what goes on at Apple or how any of this stuff is created. He's a professional armchair quarterback. The most useless kind of quarterback there is.
Like pretty much any youtuber.

Most of them literally only read the specifications on camera, call the video "review" and end it with "but it still depends on your needs, let me know what you think".

But still, this is how communication works today. In my country half of the population is under the minimum score for basic, middle grade level, math. Someone reading the specs with some visual representation on top of it is what they need/want.

So if these youtuber are able to make money with it, good for them.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Generous of MKB to spread his awards around to the major corporations who have made his life one of luxuries.

Reactions: DaPhox

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
It is a great camera. I'm much happier with it than the 14 pro and 12 pro.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
>The MR crowd just skews stodgy

Like anything on the modern internet, there are a loud group of people passionately and often abusively arguing 100% for one side, another loud group of people passionately and often abusively arguing the exact opposite and then the majority of people who don’t really care so much.

The irony being that the loud arguing groups are basically exactly the same people an opposite sides of the same coin. They just happen to argue opposite things in the same way.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
>The MR crowd just skews stodgy

Like anything on the modern internet, there are a loud group of people passionately and often abusively arguing 100% for one side, another loud group of people passionately and often abusively arguing the exact opposite and then the majority of people who don’t really care so much.

The irony being that the loud arguing groups are basically exactly the same people an opposite sides of the same coin. They just happen to argue opposite things in the same way.
My complaint was simply that neither side knows what they're talking about. Including MKBHD. He's of course really confident in his opinions and does seem to really appreciate Apple's products. That doesn't mean the world needs to hear him talk about each one for 30 minutes as if he designed it. I have the exact same issue with Federicio Vitticci's 8,000 page iOS reviews.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
My main, #1 reason is compatibility. If something exists for both iPhone and Android, by god the iPhone version is going to work. The Android version, yeah maybe, if you have the right phone. But it’s almost always a lower priority than the iPhone version. Seen it time after time, side by side same apps on each platform, iPhone version is always better. Even true for some Google apps (or it was last I checked.)
One of the many reasons I don’t use android. The apps on android are inferior in comparison and especially on entry hardware the optimization is terrible.

I can use Snapchat on an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 15 pro max and there might be a delay form the 6s. But it still works.

My brothers girlfriend just got this Samsung a14. Phone today and I was helping her set it up. She went to install Snapchat and it just lagged like crazy and the camera is terrible for a 2023 phone compared to a 2016 phone. Within an hour she took it back to the store and paid extra and got an se 2022 lmaon

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
How do people actually think YouTubers know anything more about what makes a phone great than the rest of us? Mobile phones, tablets, laptops, etc...have been around forever. Do you really need a YouTuber to tell you which one is "best" for you. Do you not have enough experience with such devices to know what you want? The only time I watch any of these YouTubers is at the launch of a new device. I'm not looking for their opinion on anything. I just want to see the device and get any details not shown at the launch event.

These people make millions off your views and subscription. They need you, you don't need them. Why would you treat them like they're some kind of "expert." It's a complete joke.

Reactions: Iwavvns

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
One of the many reasons I don’t use android. The apps on android are inferior in comparison and especially on entry hardware the optimization is terrible.

I can use Snapchat on an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 15 pro max and there might be a delay form the 6s. But it still works.

My brothers girlfriend just got this Samsung a14. Phone today and I was helping her set it up. She went to install Snapchat and it just lagged like crazy and the camera is terrible for a 2023 phone compared to a 2016 phone. Within an hour she took it back to the store and paid extra and got an se 2022 lmaon

Exactly. At least I can tell someone who asks for advice to get a current iPhone SE and not be afraid they are going to come back to me with complaints that it sucks. I can’t say that for sure about any cheap Android phone.

Reactions: scorpio vega

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple really needs a separate work/personal profile. Separate contacts, separate dialer/call logs, separate texting, etc.. I don't like carrying two phones.

I didn’t properly think about this bit at first but yeah it’s kind of ridiculous. If only someone had invented a multi user operating system 50 years ago. Not sure why Apple is so opposed to proper separation of things. If they want to seriously call the iPad a computer it at the very least needs multi user capability. Really same with the phone. A guest account would be perfect for sharing pictures or games etc.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
He isn’t the Messiah when it comes to phones it’s just his opinion which is subjective he gave the Google pixel eight best phone of the year that’s nonsense. Why do people think that what he says is the blueprint to tech?
Having just switched to the Pixel 8 after 10 years on iPhones, I am not at all surprised to hear that it's his phone of the year.

The Pixel 8 is brilliant, and I have absolutely zero desire to return to the iPhone after owning a Pixel 8. It's been a breath of fresh air.

And before anyone talks about the ecosystem, I live and breath on a MBP, and the Pixel integrates with it even better than my iPhones ever did.

Same goes for earbuds, I've discovered that AirPods are actually very average. My new earbuds do "switching" between the phone and Mac even better, as it is dual connect, so it is connected to both at the same time. I can have something playing on either my phone or laptop, press play on the other, and the one that was playing then automatically stops playing, and the one I've just pressed play with starts playing, and the audio is seamless.

Reactions: tmarsden

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016

Well that's what happens when you buy a cheap Android. Get a good one, like MKBHD's phone of the year, the Pixel 8, and it's a whole different story. No lags, nothing you complained about, just a brilliant phone. Better, and cheaper, than an iPhone.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016

On the other hand, does one dudes opinion really matter this much? It is all just subjective over all. Its like those "best movies of 2023" YouTubers like SAYS WHO
Sure, but it makes you sit up and think, oh wait, maybe now there are other alternatives to the iPhone that are just as good, or even better. Maybe some of the top Android phones have caught up, or even surpassed the iPhones. If someone like MKBHD is giving his phone of the year award to anything other than an iPhone, then maybe it's time to have a look.

I have a couple of friends who gave me a run down on what their Pixel phones could do, and I was like, oh wow, damn I wish my phone could do that. I'd already had a love/hate relationship with my iPhone, so did some research, watched a bunch of review vids, and took a punt on the Pixel 8 when the Black Friday sales came on. So glad I did, it's a breath of fresh air, there's no way I'm switching back to iPhones any time soon.

And this is coming from someone who lives and breaths a MBP. I love macOS, love the new Apple Silicon laptops, and you'd have to peel mine from my cold dead hands. But damn, after owning a Pixel 8, Apple can go stick iOS and the iPhones right where they fit.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. Do you like the phone? I can’t tell.

I should have been more accurate to say that the point of Android first and foremost was to shut Microsoft out of mobile. Then to protect Google search and thus search ads. Thirdly for direct tracking and analysis of all the data that comes out of the phone. Since they control it top to bottom they can collect every single bit of data they are legally allowed to, and they push it as far as they can. That’s why they want you to use Google Fi and Google VPN and Google DNS on Google Chrome.
The Pixel 6 series is the worst set of phones that was on the market at the time. I could have sworn that I wrote that it was "too weak", which is not something good. I have turned off most of the settings to let Google harvest my information on the Pixel 6a. They can get the people who are also willing to let themselves be used by Facebook.

I'm glad that the Pixel 8 series is better, but I would rather stick with Apple or OnePlus.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

You have to get something like a Samsung A5* for it to be good enough. When buying Android, it's better to get a recent OnePlus or ASUS phone in order to get enough power for a decent price. Samsung offers refurbished phones for decent prices, as well but you have to choose carefully.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Well that's what happens when you buy a cheap Android. Get a good one, like MKBHD's phone of the year, the Pixel 8, and it's a whole different story. No lags, nothing you complained about, just a brilliant phone. Better, and cheaper, than an iPhone.
A pixel 8 is not better than an iPhone. And it actually is more expensive than an iPhone SE 3 and only $70 cheaper than an iPhone 13.

That’s the issue with android. If I can’t afford (I can) to spend $600 then an entry level android should not feel like I’m using an android from 2012. You have to either spend a ton of money for
An average at best experience or cheap
Out and have a subpar one. Android is a compromise and Settling.

Any modern smartphone should have basics like tap to pay/nfc. A decent screen refresh and resolution. Samsung is about the only one who releases halfway decent entry level phones but it’s also Samsung so I don’t trust anything from them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.