Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming iPhone 15 models will be equipped with Sony's newest "state of the art" image sensors, according to a report from Nikkei.

iPhone-14-Pro-Rear-Camera.jpg

Compared to standard sensors, Sony's image sensor doubles the saturation signal in each pixel, allowing it to capture more light to cut down on underexposure and overexposure. Nikkei says that it is able to better photograph a person's face even with strong backlighting, as an example.

Sony is using semiconductor architecture that puts photodiodes and transistors in separate layers, allowing for more photodiodes. It is not clear if all of the iPhone 15 models will use the new sensor technology, or if Apple will limit it to the higher-end "Pro" iPhone 15 models.

At the current time, rumors suggest that the iPhone 15 Pro will have several exclusive features that will not be available in the standard iPhone 15 models, including an updated A17 chip, a faster USB-C port, more RAM, and most notably, updated zoom camera technology.

Apple is working on a periscope telephoto lens that will improve the iPhone 15 Pro's optical zoom capabilities, allowing for up to 10x optical zoom to match some Android smartphones that are on the market.

The Sony image sensor technology described here would likely be used for the Wide camera that Apple considers the iPhone's "main" camera as Apple typically uses different technology for each lens.

Article Link: iPhone 15 to Use 'State-of-the-Art' Image Sensor From Sony for Better Low-Light Performance

Reactions: m0sher and DeepIn2U

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
It still won't beat the 1 inch sensors some of the phones already have (on the technical side, otherwise those phones have ****** image processing). Also they need to add a special coating to reduce lens flare (like those mentioned phones) because they've been clearly lacking in that area.

TKSX

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2021
With all the riots in China, people are having trouble getting their hands on iphone 14 pro.

Anyway, a CCD (sensor) is only as good as the optics. Hopefully the optics can take advantage of the CCD.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Think the 14 pro supply issue is more dire than 13 pro was last year?
Hard to say because I was able to pay my 12PM installments before 13PM launched, and it cleared the system so I could order 13PM for launch in store pickup, so I wasn't checking any stock after than for 13PM. Couldn't pay 13PM off in time so stock was bad, and it was taking a while for the device to show paid off in systems other than VZW, so I decided to go to a VZW store to try Z Flip 4. Seemed that stock was bad for 14 Pros in the beginning after launch then got better and recently tanked again. Could find three PM on the instore list for a bit and now barely one Pro again

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
With all the riots in China, people are having trouble getting their hands on iphone 14 pro.

Anyway, a CCD (sensor) is only as good as the optics. Hopefully the optics can take advantage of the CCD.
Phones haven't used CCDs for years, they're all CMOS sensors these days. The iPhone has been CMOS since at least the iPhone 4.

Bawstun

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Good, Sony makes GREAT products. In my opinion, their TV’s are better than Samsung.

As an amateur photographer who has tried many camera types and brands, Sony is one of the best. Their images always come out crisp, clear and saturated.

Apple’s camera system has fallen behind the Galaxy and even the Pixel phones, and with this news release it appears that they know it.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Good, Sony makes GREAT products. In my opinion, their TV’s are better than Samsung.

As an amateur photographer who has tried many camera types and brands, Sony is one of the best. Their images always come out crisp, clear and saturated.

Apple’s camera system has fallen behind the Galaxy and even the Pixel phones, and with this news release it appears that they know it.
i disagree, canon 5d mark iv is the best in that price segment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.