Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is gearing up to possibly replace its "Pro Max" iPhone with an all-new "Ultra" iPhone 15 model next year, reliable Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman said today.

iphone-14-pro-max-deep-purple.jpg

Writing in his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman said that for the iPhone 15, Apple is planning a revamped design alongside USB-C and a potential name change. Apple could replace its "Pro Max" branding, which it started to use with the iPhone 11, with "Ultra," according to Gurman.
Based on Apple's current pattern, we can expect a revamped iPhone design next year, coinciding with a shift to USB-C and the potential of a new Ultra model replacing the Pro Max.
The shift to using "Ultra" branding for the highest-end iPhone would follow in the footsteps of other naming decisions Apple has made recently. Most notably, the most rugged and extreme Apple Watch yet is named Apple Watch Ultra, while the most powerful Apple silicon chip to date is M1 Ultra.

Specific details for the iPhone 15 are still rather scarce given it's still a year away, but Apple is widely expected to shift to USB-C for next year's iPhones. Additionally, rumors suggest that the hole-punch and pill-shaped cutouts, introduced with the iPhone 14 Pro, will trickle down to all models of the iPhone 15 lineup.

Article Link: iPhone 15 'Ultra' Could Replace Pro Max Model Next Year

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: addamas

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe the Ultra is the new top-end portless version we've heard the odd rumor or two about? Just guessing.
Ultra sounds like the sort of phone to get Thunderbolt to me - super fast transfer speeds there to cope with the multi gigs of Pro res shot on the larger sensor :). Portless sounds more like a non Pro thing - extra water resistance for the convenience of the user...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
It’s an easy guess to say that Apple may use the Ultra name for an iPhone, given they just expanded beyond MBP to the Watch. Apple would be foolish not to develop higher end (and higher cost) versions of all their products, both as a way of generating higher profits and providing more aspirational products with the additional tier offering that doesn’t currently exist. I’ll update immediately to a 15 Ultra with titanium frame, sapphire screen and larger battery, even if other elements remain similar to the 14 (which I have to say has been a great update for me coming from a 12PM).

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I prefer the name Ultra over Pro Max. I hate Pro branding on products. It's become meaningless now. There was a time Pro meant it was for Professionals but now it just means give us more money if you don't want our half assed cut down product.

This makes sense with the rumors that the "Pro Max" will have exclusive features over the peasant Pro only model. With a name change they'll take it as an excuse to give it exclusive features like the periscope camera, titanium body, etc. All from only $1,500!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
If Apple want to avoid negative press, they should not offer USB-C only to the Ultra or even the Pro and Ultra models.
They would be insanely stupid to make USB-C exclusive to only the most expensive models. It would definitely generate a lot of negative press for them.

Every iPhone next year should come with USB-C. from the basic iPhone 15 to the "iPhone 15 Ultra".

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I feel like apple needs to revamp their lineup. The regular models are priced too close to the pro line. They really need to go all pro and then just have a budget phone. I would love to see:

Pro mini
Pro
Pro max

Then whatever phone they decide on that comes in at a significantly reduced price.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I feel like apple needs to revamp their lineup. The regular models are priced too close to the pro line. They really need to go all pro and then just have a budget phone. I would love to see:

Pro mini
Pro
Pro max

Then whatever phone they decide on that comes in at a significantly reduced price.
Might as well just drop the Pro branding. It should be:

iPhone SE (4.7")
iPhone 15 Mini (5.4")
iPhone 15 (6.1")
iPhone 15 Plus (6.7")
iPhone 15 Pro (6.1")
iPhone 15 Ultra (6.7")

infact that doesn't make any sense with the current rumors. the next SE is meant to be based on the XR at 6.1". Apple will ditch the 5.4" 13 Mini next year. So 6.1" will be the smallest screen size next year. so we'll probably get:

SE (6.1")
15 (6.1")
15 Plus (6.7")
15 Pro (6.1")
15 Ultra (6.7")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.