Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
the fact that so far there hasn't been a certification recognized all over the world, unlike what Apple did, with MFI about 10 years ago, has created this situation, cables usb-c made in china, with the most disparate specifications.
Of course now there is the certified USB, but not everyone agrees also because it is paid.

no, I don't agree with this:
when you buy an MFI certified cable you know it will work 100% perfect and do exactly the job you do.

For usb-c cables I have just shown you that it is a tower of Babel and it is said that you buy a cable, it will be compatible with your needs:
1) not all are usb-certified. Adherence to this certification is an optional for cable manufacturers and the cable, not certified, often works but badly. With the iPhone, however, a non-MFI cable is not really recognized as suitable by the iPhone and this has determined that today 99% of cables are MFI certified.
For 3 bucks you can buy a well made MFI certified cable.

2) the fast charging standards of smartphones are proprietary standards, so you need to be sure you buy a cable with the right standard. Again, there is no universal charging standard, everyone does what they like and then puts USB2.0 cables in the packs.

3) the commercialized data rates 4k 30hz, 60hz 120hz, are still a problem.
When I bought my first 4k 60hz monitor, it was a trauma to buy a cable that could handle power delivery and 60hz, I had to buy 3 cables to get to the right one.

4) another problem:
devices with usb-c Thunderbolt 3 port will not work with USB-C 3.1 cables

5) another problem: some usb-c Thunderbolt 3 devices require a Thundebolt 3 USB-C cable and a computer with a Thunderbolt 3 port.

A tower of Babel...

as a user, I don't like all this chaos that has been created, so much so that in the end I prefer to spend more and buy very expensive cables at the apple store, rather than wasting time trying to save money.
time is money.
Because of people like you, the environment has to suffer. But the EU has put an end to it.
Spend a few more seconds thinking as a thank you for the planet who gives you oxygen for free, and whose means to produce it is lessened with every proprietary nonsense that marketing tells us we apparently need because we have forgotten how to use our brain.
I am not a hypocrite, I am not switching to the new iPhones just because I have solved my Lightning nuissance. I will use them as long as I use my devices and I will use my devices until it becomes to uncomfortable.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Of course now there is the certified USB, but not everyone agrees also because it is paid.

MFI is also paid, and it's fair to say that "not everyone agrees" because there are certainly plenty of non-MFI Lightning cables out there.

For usb-c cables I have just shown you that it is a tower of Babel and it is said that you buy a cable, it will be compatible with your needs:
1) not all are usb-certified. Adherence to this certification is an optional for cable manufacturers and the cable, not certified, often works but badly.

OK, but this is no different to buying a non-MFI Lightning cable. Either way, buy a non-certified cable and you're taking your chances.

But while there is no doubt some poorly-made junk out there, even the most basic USB-C cables are generally spec-compliant and more than capable of fast-charging a phone and transmitting USB 2.0 data. And being a well-defined standard, it's easy to identify cables that are faulty or non-compliant because you can get testing devices and software easily and cheaply.

Reactions: makitango

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
MFI is also paid, and it's fair to say that "not everyone agrees" because there are certainly plenty of non-MFI Lightning cables out there.
99% is certified, because if you use a non-certified cable on an iphone or ipad, a warning appears that the device is not compatible with the smartphone and the device does not load and does not exchange data.
Who would buy a non-MFI cable that doesn't work when you can get a $3 MFI on the amazon market?
In a nutshell, Apple's policy has brought profits to its coffers, but also an improvement for the user and I am a user, so I like it.

But while there is no doubt some poorly-made junk out there, even the most basic USB-C cables are generally spec-compliant and more than capable of fast-charging a phone and transmitting USB 2.0 data. And being a well-defined standard, it's easy to identify cables that are faulty or non-compliant because you can get testing devices and software easily and cheaply.

But this is the goal of the "USB certified" certification precisely because it is difficult to recognize if a cable is made well and meets certain specifications.

But what happened?
Since the certification is mandatory and since unlike the iphone, the devices continue to work, but badly, even with non-certified cables, this certification is struggling to have a large diffusion, with problems for the end user.
The implementation of thunderbolt then complicated the situation, because not all thunderbolt ports support the USB-C standard despite the cable having the shape of a USB-c.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
Apple has always included a newly-produced Lightning cable in every iPhone box, too. Including a USB-C cable instead has the same environmental footprint,

Again, the problem is including the cable in the box in the first place. They could have removed it from the box if they stuck with lightning.

Now that lightning is ubiquitous and in abundance, Apple could have removed it from the box. It isn't clear if most iPhone users have a surplus of USB-C cables lying around so Apple has to include it in the box for the next several years.

but you're getting a much more practical and useful cable that can be used and shared with many devices, not just iPhones.

And you should buy a good USB-C cable when you need it. Not be given a basic USB-C cable every year.

And over time, we'll need to buy fewer cables when cables are standardised.

And what happens when iPhone goes portless? People throw out their 2.0 speed cables to not get confused on which cable works best. So not only will you be throwing out the billions of lightning cables, but also the billions of USB-C cables. Completely terrible for the environment.

Last edited:

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
There's "billions" of perfectly functional USB-C cables out there already too. Each one of which is way more capable and compatible than Lightning ever was or ever will be.

Yeah, but iPhone users are more likely to already have a bunch of Lightning cables.

In recent years, that balance has shifted, so now the transition starts to make sense.

As for "more capable", I imagine most iPhone users don't care about the "capabilities" of their cable. They use it to charge.

Reactions: Mark.g4

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Yeah, but iPhone users are more likely to already have a bunch of Lightning cables.

In recent years, that balance has shifted, so now the transition starts to make sense.

As for "more capable", I imagine most iPhone users don't care about the "capabilities" of their cable. They use it to charge.

that's right, I haven't used a cable to transfer data for several years.
Synchronization and backup happen automatically when iPhone and Mac are under the same network.

When I'm out for longer I use the cloud and when I get home it's all in sync.

I only use the cable for my old iPods that I treasure.

The cable can be useful for a video maker, a content creator who needs to transfer many GB of data in a short time, here in this case a thunderbolt to transfer the prores would be very useful.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
You need to keep up, buddy. More & more people are switching to iPhones & iOS year after year. The only reason why Android has the majority of the marketshare worldwide right now, is because of the pricing.

If the pricing of iPhones worldwide were neck & neck with the majority of Android phones, Apple & iOS would have equal marketshare to Android right now, or even surpass them.

Or the iPhone 15 Pro Max/iPhone 15 Ultra.
Hey man I got all my info from Cooke. T sir the 3rd from Macintosh USA.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
that's right, I haven't used a cable to transfer data for several years.
Synchronization and backup happen automatically when iPhone and Mac are under the same network.

When I'm out for longer I use the cloud and when I get home it's all in sync.

I only use the cable for my old iPods that I treasure.

The cable can be useful for a video maker, a content creator who needs to transfer many GB of data in a short time, here in this case a thunderbolt to transfer the prores would be very useful.
I just want an apple G4 32” with 64 gpu cores. Is that so much to ask?

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Just give me five proper OS alternatives for my phone. I'll wait.

Not sure why there have to be five, and also not sure why this factors into a discussion about Apple. It's not Apple's fault that software developers have largely chosen to only target two OSes.

Obviously, Android exists. You may also want to look into KaiOS, Sailfish OS, and Tizen.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Just give me five proper OS alternatives for my phone. I'll wait.
I have an iPhone 8 I’ve been injecting a Linux kernel into and I have LTE , full keyboard and the camera working. I’m having issue with WiFi though.
Some of us are working on OS alternatives. Trust me we are.
I have the latest apple silicon beta partially running on an Arm based mini PC.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I do. Serious answer. When I'm abroad in a hotel with TV with USB input, I download some movies or TV series from my home storage server and put it on the flash drive to play it in the hotel TV.

Yep, not all of them support AirPlay at all.

I'm also using it when pulling data from my dashcam on the go.

Fair enough, that makes sense. I've always just plugged HDMI in directly when traveling, so hadn't thought of that.

Reactions: 3530025

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
Fair enough, that makes sense. I've always just plugged HDMI in directly when traveling, so hadn't thought of that.
HDMI is definitely a way too - never tried video out with iPhone though - does it work all right? Does it support subtitles or VNC?

Also I’ve got flash drive attached to my keyring, so it’s always with me - pretty convenient.

fromgophonetoiphone

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
you just described how all Bluetooth on earth functions.
Really? My bluetooth AirPods switch to WiFi direct for audio? You don't even know what you're talking about.

What does bluetooth have to do with what I said?

They don't understand how AirDrop works. Bluetooth is only used for negotiation of the handshake. WiFi direct is used for the actual transfer itself, and in some cases it might simply use the WiFi / network connection to complete the transfer if it's fast enough.

A look at the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max model USB-C cables.

1694109979843.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.