Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All iPhone 15 models this year are expected to adopt USB-C ports for the first time, and while USB-C has several advantages over Lightning, another rumor today suggests that Apple's standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus models are unlikely to enjoy any increase in data transfer speeds following the transition.

1.5m-usb-c-cable-iphone-15.jpeg

According to leaker Majin Bu, who has previously shared details about Apple's new cables, the USB-C cables supplied in iPhone 15 boxes are indeed limited to USB 2.0 data transfer speeds at a rate of 480 MBps, which is the same as Lightning.

In contrast, rumors converge on both iPhone 15 Pro models supporting higher USB-C transfer speeds. According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the iPhone 15 Pro models will support "at least" USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3. For comparison, the iPad Pro features a Thunderbolt port for transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps, while the entry-level iPad’s USB-C port is limited to just 480 Mbps.

With the higher-specification data transfer speed, iPhone 15 Pro models will therefore be able to transfer video and other file types much more quickly than the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.

Each iPhone 15 will include a braided USB-C charging cable in the box that is thicker (i.e. more durable) and 50% longer than the Lightning cable that comes with current iPhone models, according to reports. The cables are also rumored to be color-matched to possible new iPhone colors, coming in at least black, white, yellow, blue, and orange.

Article Link: iPhone 15 USB-C Cables Again Said to Be Limited to USB 2.0 Transfer Speeds

Last edited:

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I am not getting non-pro iPhone so it won’t affect me, but this is just so freakin stupid. There is no justifiable reason to do this, and it’s not like people will get non-pro iPhone just because of fast usb speed.

If Apple cannot design phones without crippling performance when used under full speed usb-c, especially at that price, Apple should not be selling that phone. This is just ridiculous behavior from Tim and his posse who are doing this just to just egg EU.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
Who could have seen this EU-made disaster coming from a mile away? 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️

> EU mandates USB-C without specifying USB 3.0 minimum spec
> Apple ships billions of USB 2.0 cables with the box to keep costs down
> Users throw their USB-C 2.0 cables away when they realize these cables are slow, so instead of relying in AirDrop, they upgrade to an Anker USB3.0 cable
> Apple switches to portless phone several years later
> Users throw their USB3.0 cables away because portless iPhone is out and most of their other accessories are USB 4.1/5.0 with even better XYZ features

Meanwhile lightning hasn't changed one bit since ten years ago, did one thing really well: charge your iPhone, and there are billions of good functioning cables out there that didn't need to be thrown away before the portless iPhone.

Tell me again how this is a great idea for the environment.

As I predicted, big brain 5-head EU has absolutely no clue what they're doing. Thank them for the awfully annoying cookie popup on every single website too.

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Who could have seen this EU-made disaster coming from a mile away? 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️ 🙋‍♂️

> Apple ships USB 2.0 cables with the box to keep costs down
> Users throw their USB-C 2.0 cables away when they realize these cables are slow and upgrade to an Anker USB3.0 cable

As I predicted, EU has absolutely no ******* idea what they're doing. Thank them for the cookie popups too.

What does the EU rule have to do with speed limitations imposed by penny pinching Apple, who clearly does no longer care about offering the best user experience? The ruling is simply about electronic waste (every device using the same cable) for charging.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Whilst this would be annoy as…. If it’s true, and it probably is. Remember that at this stage, it’s a rumour only. Save the hate for facts. Or don’t If that’s the way you roll.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

leonremi

macrumors member
May 12, 2017

> Apple ships billions of USB 2.0 cables with the box to keep costs down
> Users throw their USB-C 2.0 cables away when they realize these cables are slow, so instead of relying in AirDrop, they upgrade to an Anker USB3.0 cable
> Apple switches to portless phone several years later
> Users throw their USB3.0 cables away because portless iPhone is out and most of their other accessories are USB 4.1/5.0 with even better XYZ features

Meanwhile lightning hasn't changed one bit since ten years ago, did one thing really well: charge your iPhone, and there are billions of good functioning cables out there that didn't need to be thrown away before the portless iPhone.

As I predicted, big brain 5-head EU has absolutely no clue what they're doing. Thank them for the awfully annoying cookie popup on every single website too.
How is Apple being cheap as f*** the fault of the EU?

maszaikasza

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023
For me, it's totally fine. I don't even remember the last time I had to use a cable to transfer any data from/to my iPhone. For those who are transferring GBs of photos or videos, there will be (hope so) Pro versions with much higher speeds. For me, being a citizen of EU, the most important thing is to keep prices of base models as low as possible. Otherwise, I'm gonna get a Pixel and say goodbye to Apple ecosystem.

nova motum

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019

All iPhone 15 models this year are expected to adopt USB-C ports for the first time, and while USB-C has several advantages over Lightning, another rumor today suggests that Apple's standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus models are unlikely to enjoy any increase in data transfer speeds following the transition.

1.5m-usb-c-cable-iphone-15.jpeg

According to leaker Majun Bu, who has previously shared details about Apple's new cables, the USB-C cables supplied in iPhone 15 boxes are indeed limited to USB 2.0 data transfer speeds at a rate of 480 MBps, which is the same as Lightning.

In contrast, rumors converge on both iPhone 15 Pro models supporting higher USB-C transfer speeds. According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the iPhone 15 Pro models will support "at least" USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3. For comparison, the iPad Pro features a Thunderbolt port for transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps, while the entry-level iPad’s USB-C port is limited to just 480 Mbps.

With the higher-specification data transfer speed, iPhone 15 Pro models will therefore be able to transfer video and other file types much more quickly than the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.

Each iPhone 15 will include a braided USB-C charging cable in the box that is thicker (i.e. more durable) and 50% longer than the Lightning cable that comes with current iPhone models, according to reports. The cables are also rumored to be color-matched to possible new iPhone colors, coming in at least black, white, yellow, blue, and orange.

Article Link: iPhone 15 USB-C Cables Again Said to Be Limited to USB 2.0 Transfer Speeds
I don't understand the excitement about the USB-C cable question, whether USB 2.0 or USB-C Thunderbolt 3 data speed: How many iPhone users today do their data transmission via cable at all? And for the charging: How many do charging wirelessly? And even if you charge power by cable, I expect it will also be faster using a standard Thunderbolt 3 cable rather than the slower USB-C 2.0, as the former mentioned one already contains an MFI chip to make use of iPhone's higher performance...

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Shipping a USB-C 2.0 speed cable increases e-waste sooner. 🤦‍♂️
I can’t even count how many device I have that came with USB cables that cannot carry any data and are only wired for power. Apple shipping USB 2.0 speed cables is not the end of the world if the device still supports faster speeds. The actual percentage of iPhone users that use their cables for data transfer must be very small.

maszaikasza

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023
Dude, EU regulations are not about transferring data, but power. How many users care about transfer speed from/to their phone via cable? All the photos and videos are backed up in cloud or can be transferred via wireless network like AirDrop. There is probably less than 1% of users who would benefit from USB 3.x bandwidth. Most people care about having one cable to recharge their laptop, phone, headphones etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.