Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a support document published on Friday, Apple provided some additional details about the USB-C port found on all iPhone 15 models.

iPhone-15-USB-C-Port-Event-Still.jpg

First, Apple said all iPhone 15 models can charge an Apple Watch, AirPods case, or other small accessories connected to the USB-C port at up to 4.5W. Apple already announced this capability, but it had not provided the wattage information.

Second, the document reveals that the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max support USB 3.2 Gen 2 for data transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps. Apple had already revealed that the devices support USB 3, but the exact specification is now confirmed. The USB-C cable included with iPhone 15 Pro models supports USB 2 speeds, so a higher-spec cable is needed for faster speeds.

As we previously reported, the document indicates that all iPhone 15 models support DisplayPort for up to 4K HDR video mirroring to an external display or TV with a supported USB-C to DisplayPort cable, or an adapter. However, unlike select iPad models with Stage Manager, the iPhone lacks an extended display mode.

iPhone 15 Pro models also support recording ProRes video directly to an external storage device, at up to 4K and 60 frames per second.

To connect an iPhone 15 to a vehicle with a USB-A port for wired CarPlay usage, Apple says customers can use a USB-C to USB-A cable.

Additional information is outlined in the support document.

Article Link: iPhone 15's USB-C Port: 4.5W Charging for Accessories, USB 3.2 Gen 2 for Pro Models, and More

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
At certain point when they start running out of things that qualifies as an upgrade, they’ll allow stage manager on an external screen with an iPhone
With how powerful these devices are, they could go android route and let you boot to macOS when you connect an external display. Can already use them as a console. Connect Xbox controller, connect to monitor, play.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
“Reverse” charging will be VERY inefficient (from the original charging of the phone)…

And I can already see all the outcries here for including a USB 2.0 charging cable vs a higher speed one…
Everyone is suddenly a pro user when Apple doesn’t include the necessary equipment to take advantage of said pro features. The regular cable is going to be fine for 95% of users.

Unless the user is a videographer or content creator transferring large amounts of data on the daily, they’re gonna be good with the stock cable.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
With how powerful these devices are, they could go android route and let you boot to macOS when you connect an external display. Can already use them as a console. Connect Xbox controller, connect to monitor, play.
Given how the iPhone 14 Pro overheats so often (you can touch the SoC part of the phone, it gets really hot under load) — and that’s why the poor battery health experienced by many — I don’t think it can run it with a good performance in a cool temperature…

mattoruu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
How bad will it be to charge using a USB-C to USB-A cable with an older power adapter?
Do you mean how slow will be be compared to using the basic Apple USB-A power adapter (that we all have a billion of lying around, lol)? If so, that basic power adapter is a 5w adapter. So 4.5w verses 5w… definitely slower, but I don’t think it‘ll be that noticeable for just plugging in a random small accessory.

You’ll (presumably) be using the feature for charging Apple accessories. For example, I think (but not 100% sure) the AirPod Pro case maxes out at 5w. (Is that right?)

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Given how the iPhone 14 Pro overheats so often (you can touch the SoC part of the phone, it gets really hot under load) — and that’s why the poor battery health experienced by many — I don’t think it can run it with a good performance in a cool temperature…
The 14 Pro does not have an overheating problem.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
So people who buy a $1K+ Pro model and use the cable that came with it will be crippled on speed, possibly without even knowing it? Jesus, Apple, just how cheap are you? That's so awful.
Considering 99% of Pro model users will never plug it in to transfer data, it’s ridiculous to include a higher spec cable. If you need the speed and can afford a $1,000-1,200 phone you can swing $10 for a cable and length that meets your needs.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Considering 99% of Pro model users will never plug it in to transfer data, it’s ridiculous to include a higher spec cable. If you need the speed and can afford a $1,000-1,200 phone you can swing $10 for a cable and length that meets your needs.
stop making excuses for apple.

this is petty by apple for a 1k-1.7k device that no longer includes a power brick or headphones anymore as well

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Apple was talking half of the presentation about environment and zero emissions and yet you have to buy a second cable

Last edited:

MAcNIAC

Cancelled
Oct 27, 2006
“Reverse” charging will be VERY inefficient (from the original charging of the phone)…

And I can already see all the outcries here for including a USB 2.0 charging cable vs a higher speed one…
yeah - you're right about the outcry. So here goes -- apple should get called out for including a cable that does not allow the pro phones to transfer at full speed. seriously for what you pay for the iPhone pro I think it's reasonable to expect apple to include a premium cable

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Everyone is suddenly a pro user when Apple doesn’t include the necessary equipment to take advantage of said pro features. The regular cable is going to be fine for 95% of users.

Unless the user is a videographer or content creator transferring large amounts of data on the daily, they’re gonna be good with the stock cable.
It can't output to a display either - and grandmas like to show photos so....

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Hank001

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
stop making excuses for apple.

this is petty by apple for a 1k-1.7k device that no longer includes a power brick or headphones anymore as well

They also stopped including the dock, the original 2007 iPhone came with that as well.

iphone-2007-in-dock.jpg

So now the phone costs:
iPhone 15 Pro $999 - $1599
Earpods $19
Data cable $69
20W USB-C Power Adapter $19
Dock. No dock.

Last edited:

mlayer

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
You could see the trajectory in the previous USB-C equipped Apple products.

iPad Pro: TB 3/USB 4 (40 Gbps)
iPad Air: USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gb)
iPad mini: USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gb)
iPad 10: USB 2 (480 Mb)

Spreading it out like this allowed Apple to get usage data on all 4 products and match solutions. They chose the USB 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 part because they felt 10 Mbps was enough for the vast majority of users. It also kept costs down compared to including a TB controller for TB 3/4 support, not to mention leaving that option for an “Ultra” iPhone next year. I imagine that was as much a factor as anything in not going with the Ultra moniker this year.

Fact is USB C is far more a charging method than a data transfer method. Apple wanted to deprecate wires but it hasn’t worked out the way they wanted, so they’re going with a cable for the next several years. If they need to bump up data speed or charging capacity it’s all there in the spec for future iPhones. Personally I have all these old USB-C charging cables that came with my MacBooks that I can easily repurpose for the iPhone 15 Pro I‘m getting next week.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Second, the document reveals that the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max support USB 3.2 Gen 2 for data transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps. Apple had already revealed that the devices support USB 3, but the exact specification is now confirmed. The USB-C cable included with iPhone 15 Pro models supports USB 2 speeds, so a higher-spec cable is needed for faster speeds.
🤣 Typical Apple. Force iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max users to buy a higher spec USB cable to get faster USB transfers speeds.

How is that good for the environment Apple claims they care so much about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.