Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutlub

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Sounds faulty - you should take it to an Apple Store before the warranty runs out. I wouldn’t be surprised if you get a shiny new replacement (if my experience with Apple support is anything to go by), so worth the effort (be super nice about it).
Funny you mention this! I did take it back and they did replace it within 5 minutes. They could not have been nicer. Alas, the problem persists. I‘m ashamed to admit I’ve owned every iteration of the iPhone and the 14 Pro is by far my least favorite. Mostly due to overheating and poor battery life.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I can see both sides of this argument. I don’t really see a rush to go to third parties to get the faster cable if most users don’t take advantage of the faster transfer speeds. And from what I understand since this is no longer a proprietary cable anybody can buy something cheap from Amazon if they need to. Also, I see that AirDrop would be more convenient than using the cable anyway. In the end, most users will benefit from just having one unified charging cable to charge all their devices. I think a lot of us like to have the pro device for other reasons like the camera and such. But let’s not all pretend that we are all videographers and photographers.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
The supplied cable will charge the iPhone fine.

The EU doesn’t say anything about data speeds. It’s only concerned with charging.

Also, most, if not all, of Apple’s Android competitors do the exact same thing.
The goal is to reduce waste though. Apple had this ten minute or so segment about the environment in their keynote and now they include cables with their "Pro" phones that are much too slow for transferring videos.

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Re overheating…
Mine does. Exactly where the SoC resides. I’ve had mine shut off numerous times.
Seems you’ve been living with a faulty device. It should still be under warranty. Get it looked at, seriously. It could be a fire risk especially if it’s damaging the battery.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
The goal is to reduce waste though. Apple had this ten minute or so segment about the environment in their keynote and now they include cables with their "Pro" phones that are much too slow for transferring videos.
Switching to USBC and eventually removing the cable from the box will save a lot of waste.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpotOnT and cyanite

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I was saying don’t bring up the EU because the EU rules are irrelevant to USB data rates. They made the rules around a common plug, they didn’t make any rules about transfer rates.

The environment argument could go a lot of different ways. Maybe they don’t need a cable at all because people have the cables they need already. Maybe most people won’t use Superspeed USB so it’s extra copper going to waste to include it (You need more wires to implement Superspeed USB).

Reactions: Will Co

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Looking at my iPhone 14 Pro’s absolutely atrocious battery life, reverse charging would be a complete joke. The iPhone 15 Pro would have to fair a lot better in real life for this to have any meaning.

Reactions: spartan1967

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
How much more will it cost Apple (or the buyer since that's ultimately who will end up paying for it) to include a higher spec USB cable instead of one that can only do USB 2 speeds? I'm going to say less than $5.
This is Apple we’re talking about. Last year they sold 220+M iPhones. If half that amount ends up being iPhone 15 over the course of a year, that $5 is an extra half billion dollars/yr in wasted cost. Tim ain’t having all that!!

CasualApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2023
100% include a cable that requires more material when the company is trying to lessen their carbon footprint. 99% of those cables will not use that functionality. Yes Apple is cheeky in some ways absolutely, this though isn’t one.

bigjay33

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Curious if you can transfer videos shot on iPhone to an iPad Pro. Looks like other cameras are supported in Final Cut Pro for iPad.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
I love how everyone suddenly is an environmental expert, besides not having any data :p

I can’t believe Apple is not including a USB 3 cable with the Pro phones. There really is no excuse to pinch pennies like that on a premium device.

USB 3 cables are thicker, heavier, less flexible and more expensive. And most people are not going to use them for anything beyond charging.

stop making excuses for apple.

this is petty by apple for a 1k-1.7k device that no longer includes a power brick or headphones anymore as well
Having an opinion that happens to align with someone else, isn’t making excuses. Power bricks can’t be included due to EU legislation.

Apple was talking half of the presentation about environment and cero emissions and yet you have to buy a second cable

No you don’t, because you’re not gonna need it, for the majority.

How is that good for the environment Apple claims they care so much about?
See above.

They can't be serious. They sell you a phone that costs at least $999 and it comes with a cable that just supports 5% of the transfer speed. It seems they did not understand the purpose of the EU law. The idea was that you need less cables and chargers. So what Apple did is even worse than not supplying a cable at all.
It seems that YOU don’t understand the EU law with is about charging.

The goal is to reduce waste though
And it will.

timonz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
“Reverse” charging will be VERY inefficient (from the original charging of the phone)…
Watches and AirPods cases have really small batteries, around 300-500mAh. iPhone batteries are 3000-4000mAh.
To get enough charge into my AirPods for a full charge giving 5hrs of listening needs around 100mAh, that's less that half a watt hour.
Those little 5W apple chargers use about 4Whr of power a day, with nothing plugged in.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
yeah - you're right about the outcry. So here goes -- apple should get called out for including a cable that does not allow the pro phones to transfer at full speed. seriously for what you pay for the iPhone pro I think it's reasonable to expect apple to include a premium cable
Yeah, I agree it is strange. It should at least be very clear that is the case, even if the cable included will be fine for most users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.