iPhone 16,32 or 64 gigabyte? and why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TreRep, Oct 29, 2013.

1. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

which size did you choose for your new iPhone and why?

thank you :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

32gb, because I needed the storage, why else would I get the 32gb version :confused:

3. AndrewS macrumors member

64GB. Can't upgrade later - with all my music and apps I use over 32GB anyway. Also I wanted to make sure the device is as useful for as long as possible so it's a future proofing move as well.

4. Sh00tingStar macrumors member

I have a 64gb because a 32gb wasn't available the day after launch when I walked up to a short line outside my local Apple store. After 3+years on an iPhone 4 I was READY for an upgrade, and for $100 more than a 32gb I was able to walk out with a new phone in less than 30 minutes. No whining and agonizing over availability or long processing, shipping, and delivery dates.

While I may never need more than 32gb, I have no regrets about grabbing the first 64gb I stumbled upon! :D

5. rich32gb5s, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

rich32gb5s macrumors regular

Initially ordered 32gb to be safe but sent it back for a 16gb for the following reasons...

A) £630 is a lot of money for a phone up front

B) Hate giving Apple anymore of my hard earned cash on whats already quite expensive handset.

C) £80 for an additional 16gb is crazy and very expensive and believe Apple have kept the 16gb again knowing most will need to opt and upgrade for the (what is now becoming) the norm 32gb! Ching! $£$$ another £80 for apple thank you!

D) Resale value of 32gb (and 64gb!) are very little different to 16gb 2 years later.

E) Dont load much music or video and have my own 500gb icloud at home so dump photos immediately to that over 3g or when I get home. I also only install apps I use. I can always install or remove as and when I need them.

F) Convinced that next year 32gb will be the basic size and same price as 16gb now. Its less than 12 months away now!

I could probably keep going but this is my own personal reasons. If I was on a subsidised carrier then maybe things would be different.

p.s My previous phone was a 4s 16gb and only got close to the max once because I was being lazy not offloading photos etc.

6. rockitdog Suspended

Currently 16GB. I don't store any music on my phone and only thing I keep is photos and apps for the most part. Considering switching to 32 GB just in case I want to have some breathing room...

7. Davejprince macrumors regular

8. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

64 cause you can never have to much space, if $$ is a concern then buy what you can afford and look at cloud based storage for more space.

9. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Have a music library of 1000+ songs and or movies? Like to have lots of apps?
    Like to take lots of pictures and videos? Then go for the 64 gb.

I had 32 gb on my iPhone 4 and with everything on my phone I had anywhere from 5 to 8 gb left.. and this was after I was trying to manage the storage by deleting pictures and or apps that I thought I didn't need.

If you don't use the phone this way then a 16gb is okay.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

64GB, no one has ever complained about having too much space.

11. Sh00tingStar, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Sh00tingStar macrumors member

That may be true, I don't know. What I do know is that by putting up for sale my 16gb iP4 the day after launch of the 5s I got considerably more ($233) than I would today.

12. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

64GB and that's too small. Music library on iTunes is around 200GB.

13. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I've generally stuck with 32GB, but honestly it depends on what you do and what other devices you have. I have a 64GB iPad also, which I load up with video when I'm traveling. If it weren't for that I would go with the 64GB iPhone. Apple has made it easier to get by with less storage over the last couple years thanks to allowing us to re-download previously purchased content from iTunes and iTunes Match.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I got a 64GB, but I went in for the 32GB one. Why 64GB in the end? Well, they had no 32GB and my best friend gave me the $100 as a B-day gift at that time.

I think the extra space will come in handy with the new camera.

15. Bear macrumors G3

Of the reasons you gave, this is probably the only one that isn't valid. If someone needs the space, then the resale value doesn't matter. What matters is the product that is bought meets the needs of the buyer.

Wouldn't a 32GB phone that you kept for 2 years then sold cost you less in that 2 years than buying and reselling 2 phones? Of course some of us don't upgrade our electronics every time a new model is introduced.

It's not a scam. However, if all you need is 16GB fine. For some people that is not enough, especially if they load games on as well.

16. stuffradio macrumors 65816

If you can afford the 64, go for that. Otherwise I would go 32 GB. It's too easy to fill up the 16GB iPhone, especially if you have it for a long time.

17. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

Had a 64GB iPhone 5 and thought I would be fine with a 32GB 5S. Nope. I don't want to have worry about what or how much I put on my phone. Also, I don't have a camera, so I use my phone for that. Ended up returning my 32 for a 64 and I am much happier now.

Will always go for the max storage offered.

18. gopnick macrumors regular

I have too many apps for a 16 GB (unfortunately). 32 GB was a nice middle road for me in terms of price/storage.

I don't store *any* music on the device. iTunes Match & iTunes Radio all the way. Syncs up beautifully over BT in my Ford F-150.

19. eecyclone macrumors regular

eecyclone

32gb. I used to have a 16gb touch (too little), a 32gb touch (too little), then I got a 64gb iPhone 4S. It worked well, but I made an even trade for a 32gb iPhone 5. I deleted some music, movies, and tv shows, and now everything fits in 32gb easily. I use spotify for music and only have select songs saved for offline listening.

20. dlondon macrumors regular

Had 32GB iPhone 5 which I pretty much used up. I was planning to get a 32GB iPhone 5S as it worked ok for me. I couldn't get the iPhone I wanted direct from Apple (in a reasonable time) so I ended up buying on contract. Went for the 64GB because it was the same price as the 32GB on contract.

21. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

Owners that casually state they have 32gb/64gb , are you buying the phones outright or on contract? I think on contract! A couple of $100 here and there isn't going to hurt the pocket as much as paying $800-900! And even more in the UK where I come from! BIG difference in price!

----------

Im a bit confused what you mean here? Reselling 2 phones?? Maybe you didn't quite understand what I meant?....

Im saying that the second hand resale price of all 3 sizes (INDIVIDUALLY) are selling for around the same price 2 years later down the line. So if you buy 16gb you are losing less $ 2 years later when you sell it compared to 32 and 64gb.

----------

HOWEVER!....if 16gb proves to be insufficient on the 5s more so than the previous handsets then 16gb will become less popular 2 years later and could in fact resale for much less compared to 32/64gb handsets.
    I guess the bottom line is you just have to be prepared to blow the upgrade price and whatever you get back on resale is a bonus. Buying outright (not on contract) feels harder on the pocket initially than if you buy on contract however over the contract period you in fact pay out more for the same handset. Its just whether you can afford contract free or not.

22. Maui19 macrumors regular

I had a 4S for 2+ years and only had about 3 GB of space left. With the 5S'camera being much improved, I felt like I needed some extra space for photos and videos that I might be taking, so I opted for the 32 GB version.

23. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm if the files are larger on the 5s compared to 4s? Yes the camera is improved but does it use more space? This would be helpful..thanks

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

64GB because that's the only capacity that will fit my existing backups.

Also I use lossless music, so that does take quite a bit of space.

That said, for my other iPhone without any media, 16GB is more than enough.

25. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This is why I love iTunes Match.

I got 32GB because it's the perfect size, the extra $100 was negligible. All my music is on iTunes Match, then several apps, the rest is for my camera roll. Though, maybe for iPhone 6, I'll get 64GB (or 128GB) so that I can include more of my photo library and maybe some movies.