Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the best looks yet at the design of Apple's iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro models today emerged online.

iphone-16-dummy-models.jpg

The images, posted on X by Sonny Dickson, show four dummy models representing the iPhone 16, iPhone 16 Pro, iPhone 16 Plus, and iPhone 16 Pro Max. These casts, usually milled from a solid piece of aluminum, are designed to help accessory makers ensure that their products will precisely fit the final devices.

The dummy models provide a clear look at the all-new "Capture" button across all four models, which is expected to control various photography and videography functions. The slightly larger size of the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max is also evident due to the rumored display size increase from 6.1- to 6.3-inches and 6.7- to 6.9-inches.

iphone-16-dummy-models-side-view.jpg

They also show the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus's vertical rear camera array and Action button. While the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max gained the Action button last year, the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus still have the traditional mute switch. The iPhone 16 lineup is expected to debut in the fall.

Article Link: iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro Design Showcased By Dummy Models

Last edited:
Reactions: JapanApple

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Capture button is too high to be used primarily for taking pictures and video. It's where the 5G cutout is today. It's too conveniently placed for activation in portrait mode which makes me think the primary selling point is quick access to an updated AI camera or brand new AI "Lens" app for getting information about whatever you're looking at. We'll see it at WWDC this year or next. The pro photography stuff will be secondary. If it was designed around photography it would be lower on the frame.

This is why Apple Watch is getting a camera down the line, not for FaceTime or taking pictures, but for Apple's AI vision app. If Apple Watch gets a camera it will be what the Humane AI Pin should have been: always available AI computing with vision (except Apple Watch will have a usable full feature display/OS) where you don't have to take our your phone.

Lock button = Power & Wallet, secondary function is Text/Voice based Siri (long press)
Capture button = Photography (launches Camera), secondary function is Vision Siri (long press)

That or Apple by default maps the Action Button to Vision Siri and leaves the capture button for launching the Camera app + photography stuff

Last edited:

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
the primary selling point is quick access to an updated AI camera or brand new AI "Lens" app for getting information about whatever you're looking at.
I wonder what kind of name Apple will make up for "AI". No way they will just call it AI.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
So, the fact that the cameras are further apart in the Pro-Models results in more depth using 3D Video? Now that’s a differentiator 💸

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I wonder what kind of name Apple will make up for "AI". No way they will just call it AI.

They'll brand everything Siri but I think they might explicitly say AI this year at WWDC because they've already broken their rule of never mentioning "AI" by directly claiming the new M3 chip is the best computer for AI workflows. That and Joz's WWDC announcement tweet made a point of capitalizing the last two words which was something like "it's going to be Absolutely Incredible." I think pressure from the Chinese market and investors worried about Apple falling behind with AI has forced them to start using the word outright.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Anyone miss the days when a phone release was mostly a surprise?

Seems that over the last few years by the time we get to September the leaks are so bad that weve all seen the phone and know the specs in advance of the 'unveiling'.
No, because the 'surprise' was never really a surprise anyway. These days it's all about the software rather than hardware which is why the hardware is nothing more than a very tiny incremental update each year.

Unfortunately Apple dropped the ball on software a long time ago so even the software updates have been tiny & incremental. I really don't hold out any hope for this year to be any different. It's the Apple way.

marcosscriven

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
I thought I'd read the pro would have greater camera separation, to improve 3D (aka spatial) photos?

bbzzz

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
silly camera lump rather than just making the whole phone thicker and flat with room for a larger battery, many end up making it flat by thickening it with a case - wasted space
capture button positioned to ensure accidental presses when holding it or using a tripod clamp

Matteo2120

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2024
It does seem disappointing that the iPhone 16 Pro Max might not have a larger sensor
IMX903 as expected. If it ends up having the same sensor as the 14 Pro, it might feel like a missed opportunity for innovation, especially considering the anticipation over the course of two years because the iPhone 15 Pro Max has the same sensor as the iPhone 14 Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: macMD

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
I'm not happy for another size increase. Where's the limit? Will the increase continue every year? It's a con for me. The size of the 15 Pro is totally all right for me. If anything, I would prefer it to be slightly smaller. Definitely not larger. If I want larger I can go Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.