Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
You’re not on the right website if you want to keep the specs as a surprise
you deliberately misunderstand my point.

Yes.. obviously.. its Macrumours (ill spell it correctly :) ) and ive been frequenting this site since day one for snippets and guesswork for whats to come... its the site's MO after all.

But, my point being, back in the day there were rumours and mostly they were wrong or wide of the mark, or sometimes relatively close to what we got BUT the product reveal was always a surprise.

Arguably the best and most spectacular keynote presentation of Apple's last 20 years was when Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone. I remember watching live at the time and being awestruck at what Apple were presenting.
The rumours leading up to that release were that Apple might be releasing a phone... just might... but no concrete evidence either way. Certainly no specs or mockups beforehand.

My point now is that its a far cry from "rumours" - and as time approaches for the next (granted iterative) update we end up having seen everything and knowing everything.
I cant remember a recent keynote where they released something as a surprise - it just doesnt happen anymore. Perhaps Macrumours needs a sub-site called MacFacts or MacSpoilers.

Macrumours nowadays has the hubris to release articles presented as fact BEFORE the announcement date along the lines of "Is it worth upgrading your current iPhone to the new one - here they are compared" or suchlike, and present the new phone as rock solid matter of fact - and in a lot of details they are indeed correct one week before the keynote airs.

So... I miss the days of rumours being rumours...
just saying.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Personally that slide sounds like it's making the opposite point. I'm not sure anyone would want to get onto a plane with just one button for each function, because it's more complex than that. And if they expect me to trust Siri to land a plane, well, people wouldn't even get in a car with it.

I know it's just an example, but to me that example says sometimes buttons are required.
No it is like the iPhone once was. I don‘t know when you started your career, but the web was full of babies operating the iPhone and downloading Apps from the AppStore.

The slide from WWDC showcased a cockpit with hundreds of buttons you have to press in the correct order, so no bad things happen. The UI designer said that the goal would be to build an airplane that is that simple to operate, so a baby could operate it.
One key factor of success was the simplicity of the iPhone and some people also mention its skeuomorphism. It has a slider to unlock that looked and operated like real word slider.

Apple today is killing the simplicity of the iPhone and gives a s**t about 80/20.

Last edited:

raindogg

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
Brooklyn NY
silly camera lump rather than just making the whole phone thicker and flat with room for a larger battery, many end up making it flat by thickening it with a case - wasted space
capture button positioned to ensure accidental presses when holding it or using a tripod clamp
I agree 100% I rather have more batter and no bump any day.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
underwhelming but not surprising. its about par for the course for the past few years. I have AC+ on my 12Pro and just got it replaced. Think I’ll hang onto it another year.

I'm sure we can all predict the keynote by now.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Anyone miss the days when a phone release was mostly a surprise?

Seems that over the last few years by the time we get to September the leaks are so bad that weve all seen the phone and know the specs in advance of the 'unveiling'.
It’s hardly possible to keep the hardware under wraps given the massive supply chain needed and the amount of media attention on it each year. I feel like for some time now Apple’s surprise announcements have mostly been software features which they can still keep secret.

• Love
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
It’s hardly possible to keep the hardware under wraps given the massive supply chain needed and the amount of media attention on it each year. I feel like for some time now Apple’s surprise announcements have mostly been software features which they can still keep secret.
You are right.

Back in the years leading up to iPhones and just a few years beyond... interest in Apple's products was there of course but not what i'd call of mainstream interest.

Many things passed under the radar.

Since around 2010 public interest and curiosity about Apple's 'next thing' has exponentially increased to the point where people are actively seeking to leak information to be the 'first' etc as they know it will bring notoriety and in the case of Youtubers... those all important clicks and views.
Nowadays most hardware is leaked by people working in the supply chain.

Back in the day, these dummy units existed just as much as they do today as they are needed for case manufacturers to get ahead of the game and having merchandise ready for launch - but although im sure they are still supposed to be 'top secret' today as they always have been... someone somewhere is all too willing to leak photos.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looks increasingly true that the base 16 models will look similar to iPhone X. Waiting to hear about the colours for the non Pro models.

• Love
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
I agree 100% I rather have more batter and no bump any day.
Especially "today" where batteries should only be charged to 80% of their capacity...

You are right.

Back in the years leading up to iPhones and just a few years beyond... interest in Apple's products was there of course but not what i'd call of mainstream interest.

Many things passed under the radar.

Since around 2010 public interest and curiosity about Apple's 'next thing' has exponentially increased to the point where people are actively seeking to leak information to be the 'first' etc as they know it will bring notoriety and in the case of Youtubers... those all important clicks and views.
Nowadays most hardware is leaked by people working in the supply chain.

Back in the day, these dummy units existed just as much as they do today as they are needed for case manufacturers to get ahead of the game and having merchandise ready for launch - but although im sure they are still supposed to be 'top secret' today as they always have been... someone somewhere is all too willing to leak photos.
I remember the buzz in the early '00's around what the next iPod would look like. I can't remember the names of the podcasts I listened to back then, but they were fun times.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Especially "today" where batteries should only be charged to 80% of their capacity...

I remember the buzz in the early '00's around what the next iPod would look like. I can't remember the names of the podcasts I listened to back then, but they were fun times.
absolutely.

It does feel like back in those days progress was rapid and every new release had something significantly different or better to offer.
Each iteration of the iPod, and particularly the iPod nano were starkly different. New models rarely leaked though rumours were around.. they were largely unsubstantiated and certainly had no 'dummy models' that the case manufacturers obviously had being leaked.

Nowadays we know everything about everything and in quite some detail. Of course not *everything* turns out to be correct but broadly its all known before the keynote.

Having said all that, we have somewhat plateaued over the last few years. The fact the iPhone 16 will share the identical chassis of the 15 should not be that surprising and any 'form factor' changes in the near-mid term future will be tiny consisting of changes in the side band or a new button etc.
Until we can move away from a single flat slab of glass (and ive no idea what that might be) - it's iterative now and not that exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.