iPhone 2.1 Beta 4 Seeded, Removes Push Notification Service

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has seeded iPhone Firmware 2.1 Beta 4 to developers. As usual, Apple describes the content of the update as "bug fixes."

Interestingly, Apple has pulled the push notification service in this release "for further development." The capability was announced at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference Keynote in response to requests for background process support for third party iPhone applications. Applications that deal with messaging (such as AIM or Facebook) would likely stand to gain the most from the SDK enhancement. Apple had promised a September delivery of the functionality.

Apple began providing developmental support for the push notification service in iPhone Firmware 2.1 Beta 1. Not all registered iPhone developers have access to the seeds; the first seed was only available to iPhone developers who had been accepted into the program prior to July 11th (~4000 individuals).

Article Link

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds to me like Push may well be coming in September as planned, but Apple wants to release 2.1 before then :)

In other words, whatever 2.1 brings is coming SOONER than expected, instead of waiting for Push to be ready in September.

Only a guess.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I hope the pulling of the push notification service is representative of a "new Apple," one that will only ship quality products.

I hope for 2.1, Apple takes their time and gets the iPhoneOS to be high quality and reliable. The company has been cutting corners for some time to meet deadlines. Let's hope those dark days of Apple's horrific quality are soon to be behind us.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Sounds to me like Push may well be coming in September as planned, but Apple wants to release 2.1 before then :)

In other words, whatever 2.1 brings is coming SOONER than expected, instead of waiting for Push to be ready in September.

Only a guess.
My guess too. In other words, 2.1.1 will include Push and will come out when 2.1 was SUPPOSED to come out, but they want to move 2.1 up sooner to kill some of the bigger bugs.

Again, just a guess, but this likely means NOTHING has changed as far as Push is concerned. We're just getting some extra bug fixes early.

If this is true, it's great news. But who knows? I'm sure most people are going to assume the "push is delayed" idea as truth and just go with that. But the truth is, we have no idea.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
UNLESS.......2.1 has some yet-known feature that is requiring more dev attention than the push notification service???!!?!?! ;)
or they devoting more resources to fix the (either perceived or real) worldwide 3G reception issues that have been getting a fair bit of press lately?

Peabody

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Portland, OR
My guess too. In other words, 2.1.1 will include Push and will come out when 2.1 was SUPPOSED to come out, but they want to move 2.1 up sooner to kill some of the bigger bugs.

Again, just a guess, but this likely means NOTHING has changed as far as Push is concerned. We're just getting some extra bug fixes early.

If this is true, it's great news. But who knows? I'm sure most people are going to assume the "push is delayed" idea as truth and just go with that. But the truth is, we have no idea.
I agree. Fix the 3G issues now. Some of us would like to make and receive calls before push IMs...

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

Could very well be the case, such as the 3G reception issues.

thedommer

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
push would be great. But really all I need is stability and speed. no more freezing windows please!!! and slow contacts. other then that I dont really care about new features. get the old ones right first.

Tragedies

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Do you guys think Apple will host an event for the iPod in September, and then just announce the release of 2.1, and possibly push services, just to add some more stuff to show off? xD

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
Don't care about the push service so much. Would prefer to see the bugs fixed first especially the keyboard lag which is still there. Come on, let's see some good coding!

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
When you say released to developers, you mean released to a FEW select developers. My guess is this version has enough new stuff that they want to release it to all developers, so they took push out and will probably do a general release soon, then add push and have it for the next general release, on schedule like they said.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I have really been looking forward to this. I hope they can get it worked out soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.