iPhone 2.1 Beta 4 Seeded, Removes Push Notification Service

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded iPhone Firmware 2.1 Beta 4 to developers. As usual, Apple describes the content of the update as "bug fixes."

Interestingly, Apple has pulled the push notification service in this release "for further development." The capability was announced at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference Keynote in response to requests for background process support for third party iPhone applications. Applications that deal with messaging (such as AIM or Facebook) would likely stand to gain the most from the SDK enhancement. Apple had promised a September delivery of the functionality.

Apple began providing developmental support for the push notification service in iPhone Firmware 2.1 Beta 1. Not all registered iPhone developers have access to the seeds; the first seed was only available to iPhone developers who had been accepted into the program prior to July 11th (~4000 individuals).

Article Link

2. Harpo macrumors member

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

So we can expect push notification services to be up (and working) by late November, I hope?

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

They better have it ready by September but I also would like to see all bugs sorted out too.

5. RevK macrumors member

... At this rate we'll NEVER see push on iPhone/iPod:(

6. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I suppose it's better to be careful than to end up with Mobile Me again, but on the flip side, they do need to make sure they meet their deadlines.

7. mike12806 macrumors 6502

UNLESS.......2.1 has some yet-known feature that is requiring more dev attention than the push notification service???!!?!?! ;)

8. RevK macrumors member

Not possible at this rate :rolleyes:

9. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Sounds to me like Push may well be coming in September as planned, but Apple wants to release 2.1 before then :)

In other words, whatever 2.1 brings is coming SOONER than expected, instead of waiting for Push to be ready in September.

Only a guess.

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Alright.

Maybe we will see this with the iPod Touch updates.

11. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

I hope the pulling of the push notification service is representative of a "new Apple," one that will only ship quality products.

I hope for 2.1, Apple takes their time and gets the iPhoneOS to be high quality and reliable. The company has been cutting corners for some time to meet deadlines. Let's hope those dark days of Apple's horrific quality are soon to be behind us.

12. czeluff macrumors 6502

like...

Ooh, like MMS, txt message forwarding, or cut/paste?!?!

13. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Or video capture/imovie integration?!?!?!

14. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My guess too. In other words, 2.1.1 will include Push and will come out when 2.1 was SUPPOSED to come out, but they want to move 2.1 up sooner to kill some of the bigger bugs.

Again, just a guess, but this likely means NOTHING has changed as far as Push is concerned. We're just getting some extra bug fixes early.

If this is true, it's great news. But who knows? I'm sure most people are going to assume the "push is delayed" idea as truth and just go with that. But the truth is, we have no idea.

16. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

or they devoting more resources to fix the (either perceived or real) worldwide 3G reception issues that have been getting a fair bit of press lately?

17. Peabody macrumors regular

I agree. Fix the 3G issues now. Some of us would like to make and receive calls before push IMs...

18. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

Could very well be the case, such as the 3G reception issues.

19. holdthat230 macrumors newbie

Can you please add land scape keyboard for texting. Please!!!

20. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

21. thedommer macrumors regular

push would be great. But really all I need is stability and speed. no more freezing windows please!!! and slow contacts. other then that I dont really care about new features. get the old ones right first.

22. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Do you guys think Apple will host an event for the iPod in September, and then just announce the release of 2.1, and possibly push services, just to add some more stuff to show off? xD

23. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Don't care about the push service so much. Would prefer to see the bugs fixed first especially the keyboard lag which is still there. Come on, let's see some good coding!

24. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

When you say released to developers, you mean released to a FEW select developers. My guess is this version has enough new stuff that they want to release it to all developers, so they took push out and will probably do a general release soon, then add push and have it for the next general release, on schedule like they said.

25. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I have really been looking forward to this. I hope they can get it worked out soon.