iPhone 2.1 Reactions and Additional Features

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Prynce macrumors member

Duh!!

The BARS are only for phone signal strength to the Cell TOWER, NOT how strong of 3G or EDGE connection is. THE BARS do not measure 3G or EDGE...... So people stop referring to as if it does.

2. Prynce macrumors member

Bought the Phone 2 Days After Launch

I bought my phone fully expecting bugs, which is why I had a my backup phone with me if there was a problem. I completely expected it and went about my business as if I might encounter some problems. However, Apple launch was not as buggy as other launches I've seen, and they actually FIX their bugs, not like the PALM TREOS which are infamous for some kind of lockup or freeze up depending on which model despite a complete default restore of the device.

3. Prynce macrumors member

Made a mistake

The head of that department made a mistake and he was basically fired and replaced with a trusted by Steve Jobs manager and they are working on getting it working so as not to disappoint you again.

4. calisurfboy macrumors regular

calisurfboy

I wish the Iphone would allow the use of a stylette pen so I could use it like a mini-pda. I am in the medical field and it would allow me to replace my Ipaq if I could write my own notes and also if there were more medical apps i.e. nursing drug reference, etc.

The phone, though, overally desperately needs MMS. I distest having to log on and remember a crazy code and user name just to see a thumb nail image of what was originally sent to me. Cut/Paste I could use as well but mainly I just wish for more medical reference apps, use of a stylette for note taking, etc.

5. Prynce macrumors member

There is!!!

Check the App Store there is a complete drug referrence App there, and I do believe there is a writing app, or someone mentioned there would be, but drug app I know for sure.

Now Available
    App is Epocrates RX (Drug Reference)
    Coming Soon!
    http://www.shapewriter.com/iphone.html Writing Pad (Stylus notetaking)

6. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

That's very true, but I'm sure the reason they didn't do that yet and may even wait longer is because they don't want to branch the experience, so that some people can run certain things and other iPhone users cant.

7. cameronjpu macrumors 65816

It certainly sounds like that's the case.

8. jhande macrumors 6502

Battery life, 3g, and stability, oh my

What can I say? Yeah, I'm missing push and copy/paste, but am I ever pleased with this update.....:D

I used to be extremely anal wrt battery safeguards, to the extent that I checked each morning that WiFi was off, likewise location services, bluetooth and 3g, and *still* had the battery at 50% at the end of the day.

Today? Full 3g/WiFi/Bluetooth/Location. Lots of calls, listening to music, and watching 30% of Iron Man. When I put it back in the dock, I'd used roughly 15% battery. Oh my. And no crashes today. None.

This is as it should have been! Highly satisfied.

Now bring me my push and c/p, please :D

9. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I noticed the diminished quality of voicemails, too. But I can live with it, especially with amazingly better battery life.

10. View macrumors regular

Wow, I feel bad for you because it's the opposite for me. I would restore the phone completely fresh if I had all of those problems.
    Since I upgraded to 2.1, the battery life has improved dramatically, the UI in general is A LOT faster and smoother than 2.0.x, it's as stable as 1.1.4 for me. It's like having 1.1.4 with 2.0 features. I love the upgrade.

PS. I think you're lying when you said you had 6 bars of 3G.... (because there are only 5 bars :) ) haha. sorry just had to rub that in...

11. Samurai macrumors member

Push in September/October

If I recall the WWDC Keynote correctly, Steve Jobs sad that push notification for apps would be availalable in September or October. Apple has talked about a September software update for bug fixes, but I can't find where Apple said that push notification for apps would be out in September, so they have 45 days to complete this an be on time, not 15 days.

12. View macrumors regular

Actually, the signal strength to the cell tower is strongly related to the strength of the 3G or EDGE connection. The weaker the signal strength, the lower transfer rate.

13. celavato macrumors regular

Agreed. Safari has become quite unstable -- even after a restore and setting up a new phone profile. We didn't realize how good we had it before 2.0.

14. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

my yellow screen is now normal again :)

15. bemaniac macrumors newbie

So I have mixed feelings about this update.

The interface definitely feels a lot snappier and bringing up the keyboard no longer has a 3-5 second delay.

However, I've noticed an INCREASE in dropped calls, and my voice (according to my family and friends) is basically unintelligible when I use the phone with my Lexus' bluetooth system (this was not the case before).

Also, while Apple said my battery life would improve, I've noticed that it's actually a lot worse.

I've tried restoring the phone, and at this point, I don't know what to do. :confused:

16. tys macrumors 6502

My observations:
    Overall everything seems to run faster.
    I haven't had any 3rd party app crashes since the update (I was getting them daily before).
    Safari still crashes for me on a daily basis.
    Battery life seems worse, if anything.
    Phone reception maybe ever-so-slightly better.
    Wifi signal strength displays fewer bars in most places, (even five feet away from my base station!) but functions the same as before.
    Sync time about the same.
    Less lag in contacts list and typing in general.
    Icons seem to have a more "glossy" apperance.
    Website links that used to bring up the app store no longer work (invalid address message)

tys

17. distortedloop macrumors 6502

distortedloop

Not that hard to imagine. The voicemails are stored as .caf files on the phone, right? Maybe Apple just changed the bitrate/quality to reduce file size...?

18. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

The calendar schedule slabs is now in pale light blue -- before it was in red.

I can't seem to get back to a menu where you can select it for home, work and something else like before (3 colours).

but overall, some apps (especially involving a keyboard) loads much quicker...

oh, and the bars (out of five) are sometimes not full. I still remember it was always full in 1.x, but then 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 were the worst... I'm not sure about 3G though... in South Africa with Vodacom (Vodafone) rarely does 2G. It only has GPRS and 3G lol. So a 1st gen iPhone doesn't work that nicely in SA... and besides, data roaming is a ripoff anyway:p

19. firewood macrumors 604

There is enough RAM for these two (and a few other OS) background processes because Apple knows how big they are and left just enough room. Not so for any other (random developer) apps of unknown size.

20. switched to mac macrumors newbie

iPhone 2.1 update-battery life

My single biggest complaint of the 2-3 I have seems to have been addressed by this update. My battery life over the weekend appears to be at least 30% better so far? It might be better but I won't really know for another week or two as I have a few trips coming up and can really put it through wringer! My overall opinion of the battery life has been that is only been about 50% of the original iPhone. Now if AT+T would just get 3G in my area with a few more towers, I'm there!

21. ChefCapp macrumors newbie

Well I have been very happy since the last update, but as of today I am starting to get nervous. I have noticed problems when going from a text message to the phone. I was using the text app and hit call button on top of text screen, the entire screen when black except for the top line with the time, bars, etc. Then it started ringing and still nothing on the screen. so i tried putting it up to my ear and back down to see if maybe it would reset and the screen would come back, but nothing.

And i also noticed today that there was a nice lag when brining up apps. and not just 3rd party ones, but apple one, i.e. text, phone, and contacts. ill keep posting if it continues to happen. maybe apple should look into this now for the next update if it continues.

anyone else have this same problem?

22. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Hasn't everything in this thread already been discussed in 20 other similar threads?

23. musicaleuphoria macrumors newbie

where is the headset button? Why doesn't my tripple click work? What do you have to do to make it work?

24. julianewus macrumors member

okay as for the bluetooth sync issue, I truly believe that we will NEVER see this feature because apple will protect itself, ex: me sending you songs that you dont have, from my ipod. they dont want that... and that to me (and call me wrong) is okay....:rolleyes::apple::apple::apple:

25. Rondogg96 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm just glad the issues I was having are now fixed.
    I honestly could care less about syncing notes and copy/paste