Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Before the iPhone even came out, they had iPhone commercials with ppl doing this on the iPhone. It was one of those cool hip features.

I don't know exactly when that started, but this has been there prior to 2.1. It also works the same if you have the headphones attached. I live in NYC and everytime I drive over the Brooklyn Bridge, my call gets dropped. So I have a good amount of experience with dropped calls (thanks AT&T).

For #2, I didn't notice any difference in magnification. I viewed the same video before and after the update, same exact magnification. For #3, I have never been able to play a video in portrait mode. Are you sure about this?

Yea I've seen that prior to 2.1. I don't know when exactly this started happening (I think since 1.4) but I know it's been happening for a while.

See also post by Magic-wand where that person has screencaps too.

I musta been dreaming about the magnification...

Anyways...

re: Playing Video in Portrait mode

Yes. It works. I use it all the time. Not sure when they added this - it maybe 2.0 when I first noticed it accidentally.
There is a trick however...

The video must be in a playlist. I not sure if its got to be in a mixed audio/video playlist or if it can be just a video only playlist.

You must play the video from the playlist.

Here's a screencap (via Home+PowerButton) while Kardninal/Akon sign Dangerous.

I played the video while the iPhone was in Portrait orientation and the video played in Portrait mode. Took the screencap. Let the video play to 9 seconds, hit pause, then rotated the iPhone into Landscape orientation, and took the second screen cap.

Included a screencap of my '__A Good List' playlist showing the Kardinal/Akon video along with some other videos and the Pete Tong Essential Selection audio only item at the bottom.

Most of these are converted off of YouTube, but it works just as well with ligit videos from Apple iTunes - Shake It Metro Station is one I bought from iTunes is on this list as well just further up the list and not on the screencap, etc...

Portrait Video Playback at 4 secs Landscape Video Playback at 9 sec

Attachments

• iPhone 002.png
    iPhone 002.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 146
  • iPhone2 002.png
    iPhone2 002.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 146
  • iPhone3.png
    iPhone3.png
    45 KB · Views: 118

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Maybe he was on Wifi and forgot. I did the same thing. At first, I thought I could talk and use edge a the same time but, I can't.

You CAN send text messages while you talk though... I guess SMS doesn't use Edge at all...

Proof that you can SMS and talk on the iPhone with 2.1 at the same time.

I called my landline based desk phone, then hit home, then went into SMS and texted a friend a few test messages while still on the phone (as indicated by the 'touch to return to call' greenbar).

The Edge 'E' is missing, so not sure how the SMS got through, or Apple's just not displaying it.

Attachments

• iPhone4 001.png
    iPhone4 001.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 110
  • iPhone4 002.png
    iPhone4 002.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 108
  • iPhone4 003.png
    iPhone4 003.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 130

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
I have all 3 pushed from Exchange on my iPhone, and I have never seen that issue. Nobody else I know using Exchange push has seen it either, including a mix of Exchange 2003 and 2007.

I'm not the only one. A quick google search of iPhone 2.1 and battery life shows several dozen others posting about PUSH email suddenly making battery issues for some people in some situations with an upgrade to 2.1. There's also a discussion here on MacRumors about it with several people complaining. From all those posts and my own experimentations, turning off PUSH and setting Fetch to 15 minutes is the only remedy that works.

EV3R15

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
2.1 Text Messaging Bugs

Am I alone on this ?
For some reason my SMS is really messed up the messages take a long time to load it shows unread messages when i have already replied and many times i dont get the messages.....
Also some of my messages get deleted with out me doing anything....:mad::confused::(:apple:

DatGuy

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
" The Camera application can now be restricted from Settings."

Ok maybe its just me but wouldn't it make more sense to restrict photos than the actual camera?

JRTeK

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Am I alone on this ?
For some reason my SMS is really messed up the messages take a long time to load it shows unread messages when i have already replied and many times i dont get the messages.....
Also some of my messages get deleted with out me doing anything....:mad::confused::(:apple:
not at all!!!!!! mine does the same thing... **** APPLE!!! the 2.1 update did more damage then good!!! i always get missed calls when my phone hasnt even rang...

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Proof that you can SMS and talk on the iPhone with 2.1 at the same time.

I called my landline based desk phone, then hit home, then went into SMS and texted a friend a few test messages while still on the phone (as indicated by the 'touch to return to call' greenbar).

The Edge 'E' is missing, so not sure how the SMS got through, or Apple's just not displaying it.

SMS doesnt use edge. You cant use edge while on the phone, so the icon goes away.

dave.h.3g

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
i dont know about any of you, but since the update ive had the most problems with my phone yet...i have to complete restart the phone an average of 4 times/day. i cut down the amount of gb i was using, and no change. my phone just wont turn on randomly. anyone having the same problem?

hcoteen2008

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Texas
Don't know if this has been posted. But if you click the bar in iTunes when your iPhone is connected it says how many songs you have, how much time, and etc..

EV3R15

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
Tap The Clock!

I'm not sute if any other post say this :
But...... Say for example you are on a playlist or website...

Just click the top of the screen (by the clock)
it automatically brings you to the top of the page :)

clancemasterj

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
Somewhere outside of time.
Full Screen web app support!

You can now use web apps that you add to the home screen without the safari interface. Note that this only works if the web app has the full screen code in it. Example app: http://webapp.net.free.fr/Demo/Index.html Add this link to your home screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.PNG
    IMG_0034.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0032.PNG
    IMG_0032.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0031.PNG
    IMG_0031.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0028.PNG
    IMG_0028.PNG
    48.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0027.PNG
    IMG_0027.PNG
    34.4 KB · Views: 97

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Just saw this today on AppleInsider.

You can now run Webapps full screen without the Safari wrapper by adding a couple simple lines of text to your webapp.

Source: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_software_supports_full_screen_web_apps.html

Also:
It appears all you need to add are a few meta tags, along with the standard viewport tags...
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" />
<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />
<meta names="apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" content="black-translucent" />

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I'm pretty sure this is new as well, in the iPod when viewing albums in landscape mode... it now displays the Artist and Album Title under the album art. I don't ever remember seeing the "text" below before.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I'm pretty sure this is new as well, in the iPod when viewing albums in landscape mode... it now displays the Artist and Album Title under the album art. I don't ever remember seeing the "text" below before.

That text was always there. Here's a picture of my old iPod Touch, back before 2.0 came out (I think I was on 1.1.1 at that time, you can see the timestamp on the picture). It's always been like that.

100_2457.jpg

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
That text was always there. Here's a picture of my old iPod Touch, back before 2.0 came out (I think I was on 1.1.1 at that time, you can see the timestamp on the picture). It's always been like that.

100_2457.jpg

I liked Sum 41 up until "Does this look infected?" and now they suck... oh well. "All Killer, No Filler" was their best.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
The icon for the music store changed when you open it without Wi-Fi

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 111

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I don't know if this has always done this, but I noticed that if you push the blue arrow next to a phone number in your recent calls, it'll tell you what city the number called from if it's able to tell.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.