Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Sending an SMS during a phone call

I'm on 2.1 unlocked on a first gen 2G iPhone. No Installer or Cydia, just unlocked.

Everything is fantastic but I've noticed that I can't send an SMS during a phone call. The SENDING progress bar only fully completes once the phone call has ended.

This worked fine on all firmwares since I got the iPhone on 1.0.2.

Anybody else notice this with 2.1???

Magic-wand

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Music Videos

Hey Guys,

I don't know if anyone has mention it nor if it is a new feature but now you can play music videos from the artist section, not only from the videos tab. They play in both portrait and landscape view with double-tap to zoom working well.

Here are the screenshots

Attachments

• IMG_0011.PNG
    IMG_0011.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0013.PNG
    IMG_0013.PNG
    82.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0012.PNG
    IMG_0012.PNG
    82.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0014.PNG
    IMG_0014.PNG
    174.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0010.PNG
    IMG_0010.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 95

lcw1101

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Wow, cool!! Thanks for that one, I had no idea that existed.
I've been trying to figure out how everyone did that.
Thanks for the tip!!!!
That sounds like a great tip, can you give more details? Which screen are you starting from etc? Thanks!

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
I'm on 2.1 unlocked on a first gen 2G iPhone. No Installer or Cydia, just unlocked.

Everything is fantastic but I've noticed that I can't send an SMS during a phone call. The SENDING progress bar only fully completes once the phone call has ended.

This worked fine on all firmwares since I got the iPhone on 1.0.2.

Anybody else notice this with 2.1???

It shouldn't have worked. The EDGE does not support data and phone at the same time. 3G does but not EDGE, so I think you were mistaken about the previous version. What you are describing is impossible.

kevinti

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
SMS repeat Alert?

Guys,

It has been a week since 2.1, I but I'm still not getting a singlle SMS Repeat Alert tone! Strange indeed! Any explaination? :mad:

Note that I had use a customized sms tone.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
It shouldn't have worked. The EDGE does not support data and phone at the same time. 3G does but not EDGE, so I think you were mistaken about the previous version. What you are describing is impossible.

Maybe he was on Wifi and forgot. I did the same thing. At first, I thought I could talk and use edge a the same time but, I can't.

You CAN send text messages while you talk though... I guess SMS doesn't use Edge at all...

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
I know Apple has really only begun to narrow down on all of the Exchange's nuances. You will probably see over time a lot more exchange functionality come into play. I.E. The step away from domain/username to the Username and Domain separated fields.

Did you at any point of time set the time out to 5 mts, while using exchange on iPhone?

Maybe you can use the configuration utility from apple site to set up exchange account again, and rectify this issue.

Yes this auto pass code lock that come with exchange is annoying, esp for a frequent user. I deleted my exchange account and moved to IMAP, coz of this :(

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Did you at any point of time set the time out to 5 mts, while using exchange on iPhone?

Maybe you can use the configuration utility from apple site to set up exchange account again, and rectify this issue.

Yes this auto pass code lock that come with exchange is annoying, esp for a frequent user. I deleted my exchange account and moved to IMAP, coz of this :(

It is actually an option added by the operator of the exchange server. The company I work for instituted it after the IT manager got an iPhone and realized that there was no security. He removed after the 10% of the company that had iPhones at the time complained.

Also, I need some confirmation of something I just noticed. I can now set nicknames for my contacts. I don't believe it was available prior to 2.1, and only noticed it because Adium was using those entries for display names. Can anyone shine some light on this, or reproduce it.

TEG

Also, I need some confirmation of something I just noticed. I can now set nicknames for my contacts. I don't believe it was available prior to 2.1, and only noticed it because Adium was using those entries for display names. Can anyone shine some light on this, or reproduce it.

TEG

Just checked with my old 2.0 2g, there is the option to add a nickname to the contact under the "Add field". Here are the pics.

Attachments

• pic_1.jpg
    pic_1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 86
  • pic_2.jpg
    pic_2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 106

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Just checked with my old 2.0 2g, there is the option to add a nickname to the contact under the "Add field". Here are the pics.

Strange. It must have something to do with Adium modifying the Address Book entries, since I only just got Adium reinstalled after I wiped my computer 6 weeks ago.

TEG

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Dunno if this is NEW

Previous to 2.1 I had noticed that when I deleted an email on my iPhone, they did not delete from the server. I get daily ebay emails. I had not logged onto my email for over a week. I delete the ebay emails daily. I logged into my email today... no ebay emails.

I accidently deleted an email I didnt want to delete. I recovered it from the iPhone trash, but it was deleted off of the server.

It LOOKS like deleting emails on the iphone updates the server now? Or is this not new? Last I had read, it didnt work.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Previous to 2.1 I had noticed that when I deleted an email on my iPhone, they did not delete from the server. I get daily ebay emails. I had not logged onto my email for over a week. I delete the ebay emails daily. I logged into my email today... no ebay emails.

I accidently deleted an email I didnt want to delete. I recovered it from the iPhone trash, but it was deleted off of the server.

It LOOKS like deleting emails on the iphone updates the server now? Or is this not new? Last I had read, it didnt work.

It depends on how your account was set up. If it was set up with POP, it wouldn't delete off the server, only on your iPhone. If it was set up with Imap or Push, it will delete off of the server as well.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
Mail Attachments

Something new...at least I think its new...Mail now lets you forward an email with attachments and will ask you if you want to include the attachment...in 2.0 I was never able to do this.

justinomg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Something new...at least I think its new...Mail now lets you forward an email with attachments and will ask you if you want to include the attachment...in 2.0 I was never able to do this.

New feature on my iPod Touch 16GB 2.1...

Erase Data after 10 incorrect passcode attempts.

79646de7bd5bd20IMG_0004.PNG

If you setup call forward, disable it and then re-enable, it will remember the previously enabled number. It is convenient when I always call forward to the house phone. Previously you had to enter the number manually each time you enable it.

Thank you for all the contributions, I'll add them right now.

Let me know if I forgot anyone (in the original post).

Edit:
Seems I've run out space for images (maximum of 20), so I'll have to merge some together where possible, sorry.
I'm also planning to merge all finds together into a graphic soon.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
It depends on how your account was set up. If it was set up with POP, it wouldn't delete off the server, only on your iPhone. If it was set up with Imap or Push, it will delete off of the server as well.

Well, it's a verizon account...

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Undocumented features/fixes:

• You can now display the AM/PM on the lock screen, if you're using the 12-hour clock.
Note: This function, for some reason, does not appear on everyones phones. Some 'upgraded' phones show the AM/PM indicator when set to 12-hour, but some don't. However, most 'clean installs' of 2.1 will show the AM/PM indicator. (Credit to Kardashian).
If a clean restore doesn't fix your problem, try setting the time to the 24-hour clock and reboot the phone. Switch the time back to the 12-hour clock (the AM/PM mode should appear in the top menu bar at this point). Reboot the phone again. If the indicator doesn't appear, repeat the above steps a couple of times until it does. (Credit to leedsguy).
27zaww1.jpg

This procedure needs to be invoked after every reboot. Also, this does not play nice with AP Mobile News App; when this procedure is invoked, all news items in AP Mobile News app are dated Dec 31, 1969.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.