Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
the carriers in europe said they wont offer an iphone on their lineup, period. apple's demands were too outrageous. apple will end up selling it in their stores and website only over there, and i assume things like visual voicemail wont be included.

apple will need to fix battery life issues before they can put 3G in the thing. there might not be a europe one if carriers refuse to support it. who knows. if it's a big hit here in the US, they may reconsider.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I hope so...
in europe/asia do u use at all edge technology or is all the phones 3g? When is it scheduled to come out? Early 2008 or late 2008? I would be really pissed if eurasia gets a 3g capable version and we in the US are stuck with edge

I think there's a patent issue with 3G in the US and 3G enabled phones can no longer be imported. So, it's a good thing that there is no 3G on Apple's phone or this thing would have been set back for years.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6189492.html

Yep, this patent issue would have killed the iPhone before it was launched. There's little hope that 3G will come to the iPhone until this issue is settled and that could be years.

Be thankful for what didn't happen.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
the carriers in europe said they wont offer an iphone on their lineup, period. apple's demands were too outrageous. apple will end up selling it in their stores and website only over there, and i assume things like visual voicemail wont be included.

apple will need to fix battery life issues before they can put 3G in the thing. there might not be a europe one if carriers refuse to support it. who knows. if it's a big hit here in the US, they may reconsider.
I think they'll have to reconsider, because this thing looks like it's going to be massive. But then again, so will Apple; there's already an established mobile "scene" in this company that can thrive with or without the iPhone. Whoever gets the iPhone over here will stand to make a bleeding mint - I'll get one. And so will thousands of others.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'd love to see some hard figures for 3G and GPS usage.

From everything I've read and from what I've seen personally, 3G usage in the consumer space is still very low. I've tried using it here several times with Vodafone, but it's too slow still for video streaming, and too expensive for just about anything apart from business use.

So, while 3G (or at least, high speed data networks of some kind) is on the way, I'm not sure it's here yet. Of course, all that could well change if someone (i.e. Apple) can put its size 12 negotiating skills into the Euro networks' overcharging metaphorical arses.

As for GPS, I don't know a single person here who has GPS on their phones, and all my friends are gadget freaks. I don't even know offhand the name of a single phone that features it. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a must have feature.

Has there been any poll here on the subject? "Do you regularly use 3G?" "Do you regularly use GPS?"

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well hopefully it's ready before the non-replaceable battery in the first generation iPhone starts dying. You would want to buy a new generation iPhone instead of forking over more money for the same phone.

fastlane1588

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
florida
you would think that apple would want to stay on top of the iphone, keeping it up to date, but on the other hand they dont want to make the original iphone obsolete 6 months after everyone rushed out to buy them....that makes it tough to say when apple will update them. well have to wait and see

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Absolutely

"Too soon" is all relative. You have to expect that Apple's competitors are quickly readying their responses to the iPhone. And I am sure that some of them are going to be very, very good. So, Apple will have to fight back to stay competitive. They still have to succumb to market pressures, especially when they are trying to build a significant business within Apple Inc.

In all honesty, I think that the lack of GPS integration into the Google maps application is a serious shortfall of the iPhone.

Hickman

Apple is in the business of making money, not necessarily respecting the desires of some to have the latest version for some time.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'd love to see some hard figures for 3G and GPS usage.

From everything I've read and from what I've seen personally, 3G usage in the consumer space is still very low. I've tried using it here several times with Vodafone, but it's too slow still for video streaming, and too expensive for just about anything apart from business use.

So, while 3G (or at least, high speed data networks of some kind) is on the way, I'm not sure it's here yet. Of course, all that could well change if someone (i.e. Apple) can put its size 12 negotiating skills into the Euro networks' overcharging metaphorical arses.

As for GPS, I don't know a single person here who has GPS on their phones, and all my friends are gadget freaks. I don't even know offhand the name of a single phone that features it. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a must have feature.

Has there been any poll here on the subject? "Do you regularly use 3G?" "Do you regularly use GPS?"

The N95 has GPS but not sure how well it works or if there are hidden charges for using it. I use 3G almost everyday with 02 hardly costs a thing and the beauty of my contract means i don't even have to pay for video calls any more than normal voice calls. But you are right the general market needs to come down with data prices, a trend we are just seeing the beginning of.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I think there's a patent issue with 3G in the US and 3G enabled phones can no longer be imported. So, it's a good thing that there is no 3G on Apple's phone or this thing would have been set back for years.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6189492.html

Yep, this patent issue would have killed the iPhone before it was launched. There's little hope that 3G will come to the iPhone until this issue is settled and that could be years.

Be thankful for what didn't happen.

This is a very good point actually, that I don't think I've seen raised elsewhere.

Granted, it isn't the reason that the iPhone doesn't have 3G support (there was no way for Apple to know about this issue).

I'm not sure though, I think that depending on when Apple actually released it, they might have been OK anyway. I know that at least a few affected phones (i.e. the Samsung A717) were able to come out anyway and weren't affected by this.

But phones that haven't yet been released have a problem.

Isoparm

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2005
My wife was at an AT&T store yesterday and looked at the iPhone, she asked if it included GPS and the rep. said "no", but the updated model coming out in December would include it (amongst other new features).

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
My wife was at an AT&T store yesterday and looked at the iPhone, she asked if it included GPS and the rep. said "no", but the updated model coming out in December would include it (amongst other new features).

This rep was probably going based off the same rumors, etc. the rest of us have heard. It's unlikely some random rep at an AT&T store would just happen to have definitive information on the iPhone revision that just magically hasn't shown up elsewhere.

-Zadillo

freezingmariner

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2006
Let's not get carried away in either direction!

Folks, let's not get carried away in either direction. Apple's not going to abandon iPhone 1G after a couple of small software updates. iPhone is more like a Mac than an iPod, there is A LOT of functions and capabilities that Apple can do and add to the iPhone using software alone, and they will. When was the last time you bought a Mac and it can't run next version of OS X? On the other hand, don't expect Apple to sit in their laurel and update the phone only once every year or two. Everyone knows there are glaring omissions in the iPhone hardware package (i.e. 3G, GPS, 16GB flash), I bet as soon as the technologies are mature enough (size, power consump. considerations), Apple will be putting them into the iPhone (and that's when I buy!). I expect iPhone update before WWDC 2008. Early adaptors, enjoy holding the future in your hand today! and iPhone 2 folks, you WILL be rewarded for your patience.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
launching it without HSDPA/3G and some major improvements would be ridiculously foolish

here in austria some carriers already have beyond 90% coverage for 3G
and those small usb-3G modems for laptops are all the rage at the moment since prices have dropped a lot and that with offering about the same performance like many normal lines had 2 years ago (which is totally enough for most and youtube)

for phones it is less used but already past the 20% market-share for new phones (and those are mostly higher class phones)

on the other side there is only one carrier who is currently upgrading from GPRS to EDGE and that really slowly since there is no market for it

also another thin i heard is that the iphone doesn't allow mp3 being copied over being used as ringtones ...sure annoying but that is expected

no MMS: need to be improved for europe.. it's a feature you simply have to offer

2MP camera: good but can be had on 50 bucks phones: for ten times the mone i expect more

being able to connect to the internet with the phone: you need that for business customers (if my 5 year old phone can do it i expect a 500 buck phone to do it to)

i bet it's a great phone but it simply needs to have features which are expected in other regions.. not having features which people having using since years

if they launch with the very same phone in europe i expect them to fall flat on nose ... in the best case...

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
I think it's highly possible. The big media reporters are throwing stuff out that apple will have 2nd gen by next year. so this seems possible

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I think it's highly possible. The big media reporters are throwing stuff out that apple will have 2nd gen by next year. so this seems possible

And those reports are based on exactly the same rumor and speculation as we all know about already.

The idea that there will be a 2nd gen iPhone is not exactly earth-shattering; I mean, Jobs already said as much when the original iPhone was unveiled back at MWSF in January (confirming that future iPhones would have 3G support, etc.).

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
iPhone 2 in less than 1 year

Come one people, there is no way that Apple can wait a whole 2 years to put out a 2nd iPhone! Not even 1 full year! My Sony w810i (which is just as highly rated as iPhone on CNET and others, so it's not a piece of crap) is 8 months old and just officially phased-out for a new model. That's the way the phone busness is, and thank God because the US market is already way behind. The iPhone is the only good phone to come out of the US...well, ever.
MW '08 may seem a bit early for iPhone 2, but I can assure you that they will at least be announcing it then.
I'll be getting the 2nd version--proivded that I can use it in Europe and Asia as well as the US. If not, Sony and Nokia for me.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
launching it without HSDPA/3G and some major improvements would be ridiculously foolish

here in austria some carriers already have beyond 90% coverage for 3G
and those small usb-3G modems for laptops are all the rage at the moment since prices have dropped a lot and that with offering about the same performance like many normal lines had 2 years ago (which is totally enough for most and youtube)

for phones it is less used but already past the 20% market-share for new phones (and those are mostly higher class phones)

on the other side there is only one carrier who is currently upgrading from GPRS to EDGE and that really slowly since there is no market for it

also another thin i heard is that the iphone doesn't allow mp3 being copied over being used as ringtones ...sure annoying but that is expected

no MMS: need to be improved for europe.. it's a feature you simply have to offer

2MP camera: good but can be had on 50 bucks phones: for ten times the mone i expect more

being able to connect to the internet with the phone: you need that for business customers (if my 5 year old phone can do it i expect a 500 buck phone to do it to)

i bet it's a great phone but it simply needs to have features which are expected in other regions.. not having features which people having using since years

if they launch with the very same phone in europe i expect them to fall flat on nose ... in the best case...

Agreed. Apple isn't stupid, they know these things. European and Asian phones are better than US phones...period. But their networks are MUCH MUCH better, and that's the real issue. AT&T was Apples best option here (the better companies turned them down), so they had to go with EDGE for the time being. 3G will come in the US (probably for iPhone2) once AT&T gets their 3G network fully funcitonal (they don't even have a 3G network where I live!). But in Europe and Asia where the networks/services already rock, you can put out a phone with better networking hardware and they will be able to make use of it.
I predict that when the iPhone comes out in Europe and Asia, it will basically be what we in the States will call iPhone 2. Whether the States will get it at the same time....that's another issue.
Personally I think it would be cool--and VERY smart--for :apple: to put out a better iPhone in Europe and Asia first--before it comes out in the US. That will both test it out for the US markets as well as show the European and Asian markets that Apple thinks they're cool. That will go a long way, since many people oversees view American companies as self-centered.
But until I can get an iPhone that will work in the US, Europe, and Asia I won't be able to get one.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
iPhone 2 at MWSF 2008?
I sure hope not. I don't want to see an iPhone2, an AppleTV2 or anything else that is not a Mac. It's MACWORLD!!!! Let's see some freakin' Macs already! 2007 has really sucked! 8 cores are cool and all....but I've been wanting to see some new iMacs and minis and possibly something new in the line-up all running Leopard. None of these have been updated since Sept. 2006. Almost a year! C'mon Apple....let's see what you've got!

macuser29

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Glasgow
After working in the Mobile business here in the UK, i can tell you a few things.

1. The European model needs to have a 3G capability as there are few phones being released by the likes of Nokia and Sony that aren't

2. MMS Picture Messaging is missing from the US iPhone and needs to be in Europe. If :apple: are taking part revenew from the contracts then by not having this on would be a big loss of revenew for :apple:

3. GPS isn't a deal breaker - there are few phones like the Nokia N95 in Europe that have it - and they are selling like hot cakes, so its possible, but not essential

4. If :apple: release an updated model in Europe during Q4, and it does have extra functions, then it should add to the hype and the launch. Okay, the US iPhone has their model now. But in Europe we have to wait another 6 months min to get ours, so why not have the updated model?

What you have to remember, is that the mobile phone market is not the same as the PC market. There are new phones coming out on a monthly basis. Now if 3G capability is added and a front camera, and you up the camera to at least 3.15mp (the norm now in Europe) then MMS should be just a software update. Then :apple: just needs to do software updates.

Open to thoughts!!!

blashphemy

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
At D5, Jobs made a comment about ships leaking from the top, so they're well aware about how early releases affect current performance. Jobs knows it and the rest of Apple knows it. They also know the importance of the iPhone to Apple's business.

I think it's safe to say:
- Apple won't risk alienating its early adopters by antiquating its first model after only 6 months!
- Apple will *not* just sit on their butts once the phone is released. I'm sure there are features and enhancements planned.

I suspect that we'd *maybe* see a hardware revision in a year at next year's WWDC.. Maybe.

I think it's a lot more likely that they'll stick to software updates, and update the hardware *every two years*, right in sync with people's phone plans! Imagine the possibilities of coordinated hardware releases and contracts! You could have a lot of people treating their iPhone as a hardware subscription.. especially as the price of flash memory continues to come down.

Imagine credits for trade-in of your 4GB or 8GB model toward a 16 with unlocked GPS, et al?

Apple could be on to something. But not until they've taken care of the first generation, and all the fiddling that comes with a first gen apple product.

:apple:

that's pretty much what I see. For starters, Apple would have to keep the same screen and form-factor in order for a trade-in program to be financially viable, so that they could take the old parts and reuse them, or simply do something like the following: now im not an engineer, but if the EDGE module and the 3G module are the exact same size and stuff, you'd pretty much send off your 1st gen iPhone, they'd replace the EDGE module with the 3G module, and send it back to you. When a 2nd gen iPhone is released with 3G though, the only real difference other than the 3G would be simply more flash memory, probably 16GB. GPS might make it as an add-on, like how radio was an add-on for the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.