Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
This is actually for my day, who stills has the iPhone 2G. I've found him a used 3G iPhone that he wants to buy. Now here's the question:

He currently pays the $20/month data plan, if he buys the 3G used w/o changing his contract, will his plan automatically go to the $30/mo plan?

Or will the plan stay at $20 & he will be getting the 3G speeds for the 2G price?

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
They know what model you're using.
Soon as you switch sim cards and use the 2g sim on 3g iPhone, you will receive an sms asking you to upgrade your plan to $30/mo.
Might as well change the plan to avoid the sms from AT&T.:D

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
$30 JUST for data. it was MUCH cheaper before.

they gave you data + 200 texts for $20

For the same thing now, its $35

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Not one person has ever been charged extra for using a 3G phone on a 2G data plan.

I don't think that's true.

AT&T can see which device you're using and when the 3G's came out and people didn't manually switch over, AT&T started sending out texts and whatnot about just this issue.

Maybe I'm wrong, but any proof that nobody's been charged? Anecdotes from around the forum, anyone?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I don't think that's true.

AT&T can see which device you're using and when the 3G's came out and people didn't manually switch over, AT&T started sending out texts and whatnot about just this issue.

Maybe I'm wrong, but any proof that nobody's been charged? Anecdotes from around the forum, anyone?

You are wrong. I am one of those people. I have a 2G contract and I am using a 3G S iPhone. I have not been charged extra and I have not gotten a warning SMS telling me to change my data plan.

As for proof about noone ever being charged, search the forums. You won't find anyone who has. Noone has ever responded to these types of threads either saying they were charged.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
You are wrong. I am one of those people. I have a 2G contract and I am using a 3G S iPhone. I have not been charged extra and I have not gotten a warning SMS telling me to change my data plan.

As for proof about noone ever being charged, search the forums. You won't find anyone who has. Noone has ever responded to these types of threads either saying they were charged.

So do you only connect via Edge?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Care to enlighten us how you avoided changing from $20/month to $30/month. I for one, still have my beloved $20/month plan on my 2G and with the next upgrade, I'd pretty much like to keep it that way.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Care to enlighten us how you avoided changing from $20/month to $30/month. I for one, still have my beloved $20/month plan on my 2G and with the next upgrade, I'd pretty much like to keep it that way.

DON'T get rid of your 2G iPhone. You need it below.

Sure, it's very easy. Go buy a 3G S iPhone at the Apple store. Have them activate it and yes, you will get changed to the 3G data plan.

On the way home from the Apple store, stop by AT&T and get a sim card. Tell them you want to activate a 2G iPhone.

When you get home, place the new sim in the 2G iPhone and connect it to iTunes. Activate the 2G iPhone using the phone number that your 3G S iPhone is using. Pick your plan such as 450 minutes + 200 SMS. Complete the activation and your wonderful 2G iPhone will now be activated with the phone number that the Apple store just activated your 3GS iPhone with.

The 3G S iPhone will now show no service. Take the sim from the 2G phone and place it in your 3G S iPhone and it will once again work.

When your new bill shows on the AT&T site, it will now show up as iPhone data plan + 200 or 1500 SMS or whatever data plan you chose when activating the 2G phone.

Enjoy your 3G S 3G service. :D:):apple:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

Sure, it's very easy. Go buy a 3G S iPhone at the Apple store. Have them activate it and yes, you will get changed to the 3G data plan.

On the way home from the Apple store, stop by AT&T and get a sim card. Tell them you want to activate a 2G iPhone.

When you get home, place the new sim in the 2G iPhone and connect it to iTunes. Activate the 2G iPhone using the phone number that your 3G S iPhone is using. Pick your plan such as 450 minutes + 200 SMS. Complete the activation and your wonderful 2G iPhone will now be activated with the phone number that the Apple store just activated your 3GS iPhone with.

The 3G S iPhone will now show no service. Take the sim from the 2G phone and place it in your 3G S iPhone and it will once again work.

When your new bill shows on the AT&T site, it will now show up as iPhone data plan + 200 or 1500 minutes or whatever data plan you chose when activating the 2G phone.

That was dirty and naughty. I feel so compelled on doing this now.

Edit - What was the total price of this whole ordeal?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
That was dirty and naughty. I feel so compelled on doing this now.

Edit - What was the total price of this whole ordeal?

Only the cost of the 3G S iPhone. I bought the 32GB .

Because you activate the 2G iPhone as soon as you get home, there is not enough time for AT&T to charge you for the 3G service since it is changed very quickly to the 2G service so your next bill is only charged for the 2G data plan. If there was an activation charge that you agreed to when buying the 3G S phone, that too will be on your bill.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Only the cost of the 3G S iPhone. I bought the 32GB .

Because you activate the 2G iPhone as soon as you get home, there is not enough time for AT&T to charge you for the 3G service since it is changed very quickly to the 2G service so your next bill is only charged for the 2G data plan. If there was an activation charge that you agreed to when buying the 3G S phone, that too will be on your bill.

Fair enough. I think I'll do that (I was never planning on getting rid of my 2G, its a Collector's Item you see :D;)) I still feel a little dubious with having to play around with the system a bit, but knowing the savings minimum $120/year, well worth it.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Fair enough. I think I'll do that (I was never planning on getting rid of my 2G, its a Collector's Item you see :D;)) I still feel a little dubious with having to play around with the system a bit, but knowing the savings minimum $120/year, well worth it.

Enjoy. Yes, I still LOVE using my 2G phone as well. It's just gorgeous in all it's metal case beauty and it's the only iPhone that I carried around without a case. I never needed one with it. My 2G has 6 months Apple care left on it!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Enjoy. Yes, I still LOVE using my 2G phone as well. It's just gorgeous in all it's metal case beauty and it's the only iPhone that I carried around without a case. I never needed one with it. My 2G has 6 months Apple care left on it!

Exactly my same thoughts with regards to the metal build. Mine ran out of Apple Care.:(

chaklee

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
i have an old AT&T sim lying around that came with some phone I bought...can I use that sim or do I need a brand new one?

When your new bill shows on the AT&T site, it will now show up as iPhone data plan + 200 or 1500 SMS or whatever data plan you chose when activating the 2G phone.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
i have an old AT&T sim lying around that came with some phone I bought...can I use that sim or do I need a brand new one?

Try it and see. At the most the activation won't complete and you will have to get a new SIM.
You don't need to get a new SIM. If you just activated the new iPhone 3G or 3GS then you just need to take that new active SIM out and put it into your original iPhone and complete the iTunes activation to pair the new SIM with your original iPhone. This will allow you to use your SIM in either your new iPhone 3G / 3GS or your original iPhone.

Note: A SIM can be only "Activated" once but multiple iPhones can be activated with the same SIM. So an old AT&T SIM that you might have laying round will work if it has never been "Activated". :)

You will get the chance to pick the $20 data plan and make any other changes you want. You will receive SMS Txt warning messages 1 to 2 times per month about using the wrong data plan but currently AT&T has taken no further action. They however have the right to move you to a vaild iPhone data plan as the TOS in the contract you agreed to covers this ability.

Dave

Hing

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
i got a text warnign from ATT. Do i disregard it or do i have to call and tell them about it?

twindc23

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
I just called att and asked to get my edge plan upgraded to 3g plan. So he puts me on hold for a few and comes back saying "ok, your now configured for 3g" I then asked, its 10 bucks more for the iphone plan correct. He then states, no additional changes apply because they are phasing out edge network and going full 3g. I said ok and good bye.

Now is this rep new or dont know whats going on? Any ideas guys?

fyi,
ive had the iphone since launch. got a 3g last month for work. put my edge sim in 3g iphone. after 2 weeks i started getting the email and text warnings, work decided to return the 3g for 3gs. so i just got it and put my edge sim (which has 3g logo) in the 3gs. everything works fine.
I guess i'll just have to wait to see my next bill to see if that rep was taking BS.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I just called att and asked to get my edge plan upgraded to 3g plan. So he puts me on hold for a few and comes back saying "ok, your now configured for 3g" I then asked, its 10 bucks more for the iphone plan correct. He then states, no additional changes apply because they are phasing out edge network and going full 3g. I said ok and good bye.

Now is this rep new or dont know whats going on? Any ideas guys?

fyi,
ive had the iphone since launch. got a 3g last month for work. put my edge sim in 3g iphone. after 2 weeks i started getting the email and text warnings, work decided to return the 3g for 3gs. so i just got it and put my edge sim (which has 3g logo) in the 3gs. everything works fine.
I guess i'll just have to wait to see my next bill to see if that rep was taking BS.

That's too funny! So I guess by what they told you, my 2G iPhone will no longer get service eventually not to mention all the current Blackberrys being sold by AT&T that use edge only.

Of course that person you talked to was clueless.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
That's too funny! So I guess by what they told you, my 2G iPhone will no longer get service eventually not to mention all the current Blackberrys being sold by AT&T that use edge only.

Actually, that is correct. Eventually, EDGE is going to go away. The emphasis however, is on eventually. It's not going to happen any time soon. Best guess would be we'll start to see a real push to phase out EDGE only phones in 3 years or so, with talk of a sunset in maybe 5-6 years.

The launch of LTE on AT&T will probably be the tipping point.

This isn't without precedent though. AT&T (as Cingular, but also as the old AT&T wireless) used to sell phones that operated on the old IS-54/IS-136 "TDMA" standard. In February 2008, those phones became useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.