iPhone 3.0 Firmware to Take Better Photos?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 5, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gizmodo reports on findings by Russian site iPhones.ru which found that the iPhone 3.0 firmware may improve iPhone photography based on some testing.
    A second set also shows similar results. (iPhone 3.0 left vs 2.2.1 right)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Article Link: iPhone 3.0 Firmware to Take Better Photos?

2. denm316 macrumors 6502

3. island macrumors 6502

island

Maybe iPhone #3.

4. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

5. kolax macrumors G3

Possible they have adjusted shutter speed - the night time shot has come out amazingly well for a mobile phone photo.

But I really hope the new iPhone will have a physically better camera, not just better firmware for it.

6. audioteknika macrumors regular

7. Ross123 macrumors newbie

Nice, would be good to have better quality images as this is something the iPhone lacks when compared to its rivals!:)

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That's for Adobe to take care of! ;)

9. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Neat! I love to hear about all these improvements. I can't wait to see it do video.

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Wow

Just add video and were good no more jailbreaking for me!

11. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

And here I thought I was going crazy! Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. There's a diffrenve albeit a small one.

12. Beamengine macrumors newbie

ALL phone cameras are utter rubbish. Who cares if the next one is 1% less hopeless.

13. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

This is the second time I've noticed an improved camera with the software update.

I wish I had two devices so I could take side by side pictures.

14. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I care: when your phone is all you have with you (I don't carry a camera ALL the time) every bit of quality is nice to have.

And I can confirm this rumor. Here's how it works: the 3.0 firmware generates an ultrasonic sound from the speaker, which causes cats to sit still.

15. grapemac macrumors regular

i hope this sorts out the 'zoom' effect as well, where the edges blur and stretch.

16. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

The picture of the vending machine looks bunk. It looks like there's oil or something on the lens in the right picture.

17. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I agree.

Frankly, I've never seen ANY iPhone pic as blurry as the 2.1 examples--except for motion blur. And that depends mainly on, well, motion!

Better exposure and shutter speed control, or even post-processing, could be nice options. But those examples don't tell me anything.

18. Stoobs macrumors member

Perhaps they're taking a leaf out of night camera's book and using the accelerometer to help the shot?

19. jont-fu macrumors regular

They might make use of the accelerometer. There is an app that uses the accelerometer to analyze hand shake motion - which is the most significant reason of blurry shots in small devices. It just needs to take the photo at the exact moment the device is not moving.

So many nice improvements in 3.0... Waiting eagerly!

20. Bevz macrumors 6502a

Well, i've got beta 4 running on a 3g iphone and i really can't see a difference; i mean a good quarter of all the photos i take are too blurry to keep and that's not changed since i've had the phone... Went to a friends wedding on the weekend and took about 30 photos and as always, about a quarter of them are really blurry... I would normally blame the alcohol but i didn't drink at all because i was driving!
    I think this may be another "safari seems snappier" type situation... ;)

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Probably true.

The application 'Photoswap' takes much better photos than the regular 2.1 OS camera app does.

Clearly, there's software improvements to be made to the way the iPhone controls the camera's settings. (Don't know if Apple is making those changes in 3.0, but I would sure hope they are.)

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

23. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Am I the only one who doesn't buy it??
    The lens flare in the second image is so vastly different. This could have been achieved by taking your very own hot air (breath) and blowing it onto the camera lens. (or finger print smudge whatever you want)

Behold, how blowing and cleaning my lens has improved my 2.1fw iphones pictures dramatically!!

Attached Files:

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, yeah. Obviously the 2nd example is a lens problem.

But how does "that guy has a lens problem" = "Apple isn't trying to improve the camera software" ?

I don't see the connection.

I'm pretty sure it will improve just because, as I said, other apps take better photos currently, so why wouldn't Apple be trying to improve on that in their own app?

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

great. i do take quite a few photos with my iphone, and they are always coming out a little blurry. looking forward to this update