Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of Trent Reznor's vocal objection to Apple's App Store content-based rejection policies, it seems that the iPhone 3.0 update may provide the solution.

iLounge reports that Makayama's Newspaper(s) [App Store, $0.99] application was originally rejected due to inappropriate online-content (images of topless women) from the UK's The Sun tabloid. Apple informed the developer that Parental Controls have been announced for iPhone 3.0 and that it "would be appropriate to resubmit your application for review once this feature is available."

This suggests that many of the "offensive content" reasons for App rejections may go away once 3.0 is available. For now, Makayama has simply removed the offending newspaper from his application.

Article Link: iPhone 3.0's Parental Controls to Loosen App Store Restrictions?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Finally.. After all, the whole issue is "what if a child sees this..". Better Parental Controls should have been implemented when the App Store was introduced.

Surely when they had in-depth discussions about the App Store, someone must have foreseen that explicit content should be addressed. Or maybe they did, and the best they could come up with at the time was, "reject it".

Shall we expect a rush of new app's come iPhone 3.0 then...?

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I think this is an excellent solution to the problem of allowing for more content while still giving parents easier control over the content their children view. I guess the question now is, how far will developers be able to go now? Will the app store allow 'adult' apps?

P-Worm

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Now I just hope people don't take "in the wake of" to mean "as a result of"... logical evolution of the app store though. Everyone is up in arms about something that's really only a year old (give or take?). Eventually Apple will work it all out.. hopefully.

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
[QUOTE/] For now, Makayama has simply removed the offending newspaper from his application. [/QUOTE]
S/he should do us all a favour and remove the offending newspaper from the whole planet, period...

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Why the heck is anyone buying their kid an iphone or ipod touch? Make the kid get a job at 16 then buy their own!

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I'm not a buyer of the Sun or any tabloid paper in the UK... but I think it would only be a matter of time until Apple gave in for content such as this. End of the day, parental controls are there for a reason.

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
For now, Makayama has simply removed the offending newspaper from his application.
S/he should do us all a favour and remove the offending newspaper from the whole planet, period...

Amen!.

Im not even sure how "The Sun" because eligible for the title Newspaper.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Why the heck is anyone buying their kid an iphone or ipod touch? Make the kid get a job at 16 then buy their own!
My girls both worked from the age of 14 and bought their own.
If your teenager can't afford $199 on an iPhone, then as a parent you'd better demand they have a part-time job.
All kids should have part time jobs.
it makes for a more successful life.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I really don't understand why this wasn't added from the very beginning. My guess is that they didn't realize the App Store would get so many applications in it so quickly. Oh well, at least now it will be there.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I never understood the danger female breasts presented to the American public compared to other things people are exposed to.

I don't either but its still a society taboo here. Remember in this society in USA, it is extremely diverse. Muslims and Jews do not accept nudity anywhere and most parents grow up with the ideals of those past generation when the society norms where that nudity is not accepted and they are passing that onto their children. Even in this society, nudity and profanity is not allowed on public televsion at all, "mature content" is accepted somewhat after 11PM but still no nudity and profanity.

Beside the internet has enough boobies for all of us. :p

DS Flyer

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Suburbs of Chicago
lol

I never understood the danger female breasts presented to the American public compared to other things people are exposed to.

Agreed.

There should be parent control options on these types of products. It shouldn't take this long to develop/decide and implement these solutions. ssooo slloooowww. Get with the times

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I just hope Apple will enable the Mature Content filter by default so that adults can actually disable it themselves and download all the mature apps they want.

Where's my iboobies?

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
The iPhone/iPod Touch application review process is--and should be--independent of iPhone OS releases and must be addressed immediately.

Any further delay by Apple to bring clarity and consistency to the application approval process will negatively impact both developers and iPhone owners.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Does MobileSafari has parental controls? If not, it is pretty pointless in not accepting an app that shows the content of The Sun while going to the Sun's website is unrestricted.

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
App parental control screen

From http://9to5mac.com/itunes-parental-controls-3
Picture%203(3).png

BVGuitarPlayer

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
I have a better solution.

How about we not give kids f*cking expensive communication technology. I'm 22 now, I grew up entertained with a black and white game boy, and nintendo 8bit.

I never, ever had any problems that my parents would consider objectionable relating to GB or NES.

Let's stop buying kids stuff with M, R or sometimes PG ratings, and stop making everyone else pay for you're unwillingness to raise your children the right way, or at least find a better way.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I don't either but its still a society taboo here. Remember in this society in USA, it is extremely diverse. Muslims and Jews do not accept nudity anywhere and most parents grow up with the ideals of those past generation when the society norms where that nudity is not accepted and they are passing that onto their children. Even in this society, nudity and profanity is not allowed on public televsion at all, "mature content" is accepted somewhat after 11PM but still no nudity and profanity.

Beside the internet has enough boobies for all of us. :p

last time I checked, the UK has Muslims and Jews too :rolleyes:

It's just the british are alot more open about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.