iphone 3.1 does it fix the Wi-Fi issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BigKyle, Sep 9, 2009.

1. BigKyle macrumors member

I have been looking for the past house and cant seem to find my answer...

so sorry if this is a repost...

anyone know if the 3.1 update is going to fix the damn wifi bug? iall i read leading up to today was speculation...

Thansk for the info!

2. PCboarder macrumors member

3. BigKyle thread starter macrumors member

on my 3gs i drop and regain wi-fi while sitting 20 feet from my wireless router or the wifi at work or the wifi at starbucks ect ect..

it shows full signal i begin surfing the web or watching youtube or something...

then, the wi-fi drops to like 1 tiny little bar and nothing loads... then like 5 min later its back at full...

4. PCboarder macrumors member

huh now that i think of it my iphone 3g does that a lot too. The only thing i see in 3.1 that wifi is better while bluetooth is on.

5. qawsed macrumors regular

My speed is still half what it should be. However there definitely have been changes... latencey is not 1/3 what it was which is good.

6. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

I think it has fixed some of the issues, I've just re-enabled n on my router and the iPhone hasn't fallen off the network or refused my password yet (touch wood)

7. taimur macrumors member

8. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Not fixed for me.

3GS

9. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I've had the same issue on two 3GSes. I'm downloading 3.1 now, and I hope to goodness it's fixed. :mad:

10. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Have you tried changing the channel your router uses? Worked for me.

11. prism1029 macrumors newbie

I don't think it has fixed it for me. My wifi signal on my 3GS (3.1) still sometimes drops to 1 bar during youtube videos while my iPod Touch (3.0) still stays at a steady 3 bars.

I've tried with both bluetooth on and off. Also I've tried most of the fixes that I've found on the internet such as reseting all network settings, the router channel thing, changing DNS...

I really don't know what else I can do. :confused:

(Using NetGear WNR2000, does anyone know how to change the g/b/n thing for it?)

12. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

Well I'm using a netgear dgn2000 (the adsl equivalent of yours) with no issues now in multi mode, I've also set static ip's for both my iPhone and MacBook as I used to get ip already in use errors. As for changing settings look on the base of the router it tells you how to log in, there's an ip address somthing like 168.#.#.# and the username is admin and the password is password iirc. The mode option is under wireless settings.

Not yet been at my gf's house to work out if the bars issue is fixed but from my experience the no. of bars wasn't affecting my speed, my issue was with it refusing to connect to mixed mode wifi which now seems fixed :)

13. prism1029 macrumors newbie

Hmm, the WNR2000 doesn't seem to have any settings dealing with g/b/n. Although there is a setting for mode however it just has "Up to 54Mbps, 145Mbps, and 300Mbps."

14. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

fixed for me, wifi works like it did before 3.0 now

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What you are describing can't be a firmware bug, since so many of us have no problem at all with Wi-Fi. I would suggest that it is likely the result of interference (try changing the wireless channel on your router) or hardware issues (make a genius bar appointment).

16. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Any luck?

Note to others: The wifi bug is not due to interference. It has nothing to do with what router you have.

17. boxstboy macrumors member

I think it's definitely a 3GS issue. I had a 3G for a year, it never ever dropped my wifi signal. I just upgraded to a 3GS a week ago and it dropped my wifi signal entirely this morning. I thought it was really weird until I saw this thread.

18. johnb41 macrumors newbie

Everyone's Wifi issue here seems to be dropped connections, or slow speed.

My issue is that my iPhone doesn't detect ANY Wifi. My Wife's iPhone detects and connects to Wifi, but mine acts like there is none.

Anyone have this issue, and if so, does 3.1 fix it? (I'm reluctant to upgrade immediately because it would remove the jailbreak.)

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It's not the OS. My 3GS works fine with 3.0.1. So what's left? Hardware or user error.

20. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

Sorry I was working from memory, you want to try using up to 54mbps ;)

21. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

WiFi has always worked fine for me on my 3Gs. My problem has been 3G getting "stuck" and fail to load data throughout the day.

22. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

That must be some serious user error considering that it connects to known networks automatically. I think it is a user error for people who don't know that much to use phrases like user error.

Thousands of people have the wifi issue. Right after the 3.0 update.

23. redman042 macrumors 68020

The 3.1 changelog lists a fix for bluetooth interference with wifi, so there IS a wifi improvement in this update.

I have not experienced wifi problems with 3.0, other than needing to turn off bluetooth to get good performance playing a head-to-head game in the "10Pin Shuffle" game. Otherwise it's choppy. Hopefully 3.1 will fix it. But I'm waiting for a 3.1 jailbreak before I can update and find out.

24. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

3.1 and still have the problem with my 3GS. Have had the problem since day one (June 19th).

25. BigKyle thread starter macrumors member

so updated to 3.1 ... still having the Wi-Fi issue.....

goign to try changing the channel tonight... ill let you guys know!