iPhone 3g Australia forum

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tcmacintosh, Jun 11, 2008.

1. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Just opening a new thread for any discussions to do with the iphone 3g in Australia. Just to make it easier for people from australia to find information in one place.

2. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

well. i will jump on board, lets try and get this to 60pages of BS like we did the infamous "Australia and the iPod touch thread"

Yes, i plan on getting a 16gb on contract preferably with Vodafone, but optus does have better coverage, yet both fallback to gprs when out bush (i think)

Ps sold my 8gb 1.1.1 otb on ebay for $702, i love misinformed (stupid) people, and ebay

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That was me you sold it to :(.

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

lol@you epic BARNT
    and yeah i wouldn't mind a good old long australian thread, also read my thread about iphone in australia earlier than we think if you want, and i want my iphone!

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

6. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

yeah thats right
    and we best get more replies, the dutch are catching up!

7. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

off-topic much?
    :p

anyone going with optus?
    i've already "registered my interest" and am planning to put that $100 deposit down for the fun of it.

anyone else?

8. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

i'm from australia, read my location you bogan
    and i'm goin with voda
    hopefully you can get it for free on a $49 or so cap. or maby they will make us pay the $199 and pay the $49 ONTOP and adding a data plan is a whole other idea.

9. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

ummmm, as we have contact in these forums before i was hoping common sense would or prevailed and you would of just stated which city:rolleyes: :D

so, im from Ballarat, but might go to Melbourne for it, or go to Sydney on the monday before hand to line up.....:apple:

the iPhone might be unlocked if you pay a big plan on voda

10. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

OHH right.
    well if you must know i live in cronulla, sydney, and i'll be going to the apple retail store, or the mymac sydney, because im good friends with the corporate manager there, and their being a vodafone reseller aswell so they can get the iPhone. it's allll goood.

11. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

This isn't MacTalk it's another forum all together and some people prefer to be here :rolleyes: to have intelligent conversation.

Thanks for the permission.

In any case it will be interesting to see what Optus and Vodaphone have to offer in their contracts.

12. godspeed macrumors member

Dropped the deposit for 2 iphones with Optus today. Methinks Oz will be in short supply to begin with......

13. nlivo macrumors 6502a

If you pay a bit extra for an officially unlocked iPhone, I am guessing you will not be able to access internet anywhere without wifi, yeah? How do the unlocked ones work with internet and all that??? Pre-paid, etc.?

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Unlocked phones will work with the 3G internet as long as you buy plan/pre-paid that has an included data allowance. Once it's unlocked it's just an ordinary cell phone as far as data usage etc goes. You can use whatever plan from whatever provider you like.

15. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

Just letting you know that there is already a great deal of information in another location, and maybe Australians are more likely to go to an AU mac site for information/news about an AU iPhone?

Hardly necessary to have that attitude.

16. archi17 macrumors regular

Yeah i'm not to sure about the pre-paid. Well it shouldn't use your credit because of the pre-paid. The next G doesn't so i don't think this should. But using any of the internet APPS would get to tempting and excess use would use credit really fast, unless they do some sort of deal? We'll just have to wait and see...

17. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i think we should all point safari (i hope) to this link about unlocking the iPhone although the iPhone may not count for this option

Vodafone's unlocking policy

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Everyone check out Gizmodo Australia - they have some supposedly leaked plans etc from Optus.

Spoiler: *sigh of frustration* "Where's the innovation Optus? You cudda been a contender!"

19. archi17 macrumors regular

Those "leaked" plans seem to be what they will charge.. But $79 a month is too much for me. I was planning $50 a month max. Damn

20. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt they are real. 1gb of data is ridiculous. I would be very surprised if the iPhone wasn't released with unlimited data (I know that is very rare in australia), because of how much much the iPhone relies on the internet.

21. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

ireland has only 1gb and no visual voicemail

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The only way we're going to get unlimited data is if they shape it back to dial up speed after exhaustion of the 1gig allowance.

23. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

I doubt it will be unlimited data, although I would love to be wrong on this!
    Pretty sure given the high average data cost in Australia, that things will not be improving overnight.

Though I do think and agree with you that it will be the iPhone that shakes the market up, and gets things heading in the right direction!

24. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

It's bad form to be referring people from one forum to another. Don't assume that people who frequent MacRumors as their reliable source of information don't know how to use the internet and find the info they need. After all the main resource of information the other forum you're referring people to is MacRumors, so in that case I'd say it best people go straight to the source and that is here.

25. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

Why re-invent the wheel as they say? If there is already information posted (regardless of it's location) why not let people know where it is? I hardly think that linking to an Australian Mac/iPhone forum can be considered "bad form."
    And I'm definitely not "assuming that people that frequent MacRumors... don't know how to use the internet," again I'm just trying to be helpful by pointing people to a large amount of AU specific iPhone knowledge that already exists.
    (Just the fact that a greater percentage of topics there are AU specific makes it easier to find information, and sort it out from what's relevant and what's not.)

You are also incorrect and greatly generalising about "the main resource of information the other forum you're referring people to is MacRumors." I have found much information on the MacTalk forums before reading it here.

No need to play internets police :p