iPhone 3G Family Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmckechnie, Jun 9, 2008.

1. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

When you pay the $30 data fee is that per iphone or per plan?

The current cheapest family plan with the old iphone was $109 but if you take the cheapest family plan at 69.99 and add two $30 data fees it goes beyond the $109.

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

i thought that some where they said that now it is per iPhone.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Wait, are you saying I can't put my iPhone on my family plan?!

4. kamakalama macrumors newbie

I'm wondering about this too. My wife and I both have iPhone on family plan. We'll probably upgrade one of them to 3g. Would the cost of the plan increase just $10?

5. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

No, he's saying you have to add data plans separately to each phone.

6. meagain macrumors 68030

$20

And I've no clue if that even includes texts right now. Anyone?

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Its only $10 more for the lowest plan, however it will cost another $5 for the 200 messages that came free before. Its the $5 for texts which I don't like, otherwise, the extra $10 isn't too bad.

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

The data plan is PER LINE, it does not apply to the whole family plan..

IE, on our family plan, my mother has a 3G phone, she's paying for 3G on her line.. IF I get the 3G IPhone, I'll have to pay the 3G on that.. Family plans just share talk minutes.

And it doesn't include Texts, texts are seperate, the text plans start at $5 and go up to $20..

9. meagain macrumors 68030

So for a 2-line 3g iphone home with texting.... $35 per phone = $70 a month or an increase of $30 a month or $360/year. But we save $200 off each phone, a savings of $400 (assuming we upgrade each year). Hence a $40 year savings?

LOL Do I have that right?

10. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

That's correct.. and with the caluclations between data, text so on and so on, when it's all said and done, I believe it pans out that the new IPhone is actually $40 more expensive if you keep it for the full 2 years..

11. meagain macrumors 68030

12. sheems macrumors newbie

3g Family Plan

I Currently Have 1400 Minute Family Plan- 3 Razrs With the $30/month
    Unlimited Text data plan-I am interested In Getting the New 3g Just For Myself-what Costs Would I Incur Or Can I Just Get The New Phone?

13. Driller macrumors newbie

Driller

Upgrade to 3G and add new family member...

I am eligible for a 3G upgrade and my daughter (who is not a current AT&T customer) would like my old iPhone. I would like to add her to my family plan with my old phone but it would be nice to keep my upgrade eligibility with the old phone. Is it possible to activate a new account with the 3G in her name and then have AT&T switch the phone numbers?

I really don't want to open up a new account for her using my old phone with no warranty. I have had a bad experience doing this in the past with Verizon.

14. saDeRmac macrumors regular

All you need to do is give her the iPhone and she can activate it on her own account... you just have to activate a new line and get a new SIM to put into the iPhone. Activate the iPhone through iTunes as normal. You can also activate the same way on a FamilyTalk account... just add a new line w/only a SIM.

Hope this was helpful PM me if you have any other questions.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Here's what I have done with Motorola phones with AT&T/Cingular, so this may work on iPhones.

Activate your new 3G iPhone. You'll then have it on a new number and the EDGE model on the existing number. Swap the SIM cards (I assume iPhone SIM cards are the same) and you should be golden. Make sure to call AT&T and let them know that you swapped the cards. They told me to do that once, for what reason I don't know. I think it's for proper record-keeping, not billing.

Just FYI, they'll jack you for $18 for activation (maybe more for a new line). It's a joke that the whole industry is in on because they probably just have a check box to click.

16. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Its a $26 activation fee which some markets are waiving right now for activating a FamilyTalk line. There is a $36 activation fee that is not wave-able at this time for new activations. (BTW the activation fees are only wave-able by managers not by the sales guys). The activation fee is in itself the fee for activation. at&t has charges that incur when activating and upgrading lines, so this fee helps us keep competitive and pay the base salary for our employees.

Mike's right. All you do is have to put the new SIM card for the new line into the 2G iPhone. Once you do that it's bricked until you activate it in iTunes which allows you to add the data package to the FamilyTalk line or pick your plan for the new account.

17. Driller macrumors newbie

Driller

Thanks for the replies. Having only ever been a Verizon customer for years before the iPhone, the whole SIM card concept had totally slipped my mind. Thanks again.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Since it sounds like you work for a phone company, I'll give you new line activation fees since I know there's some entity that must be dealt with (FCC maybe?). But when I bought my mom a new RAZR earlier this year to replace a phone some bassturd lost, I got charged $18. Same thing with the iPhone upgrade. That charge I DON'T get at all.

19. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

itunes iphone activation and family plan

I understand that when I activate the iPhone on iTunes I can port my number from Verizon. Currently I have two phones on a Verizon family plan.

Using iTunes can I setup something similar, ie have two iphones share minutes with each having a dataplan or would I have to go to an AT&T store to activate them with a similar plan?

20. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Both the upgrade and the activation charge are essentially the same: to offset costs of putting that phone on the network live. (In reality its so I can get paid and you can have the best prices for your rate plan. At least thats what they say... hehe) And yes I work for at&t. =)

21. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Currently that is possible with the 2G iPhones only. The iPhone 3G has to be activated in store according to the instructions that are given to retail people at at&t...

22. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

23. Zyniker macrumors 6502

iPhone 3G Family Plans

I am a current AT&T subscriber on a family plan with five lines. I intend to upgrade two of these lines to the iPhone 3G when it is released. Does anyone know if there has been an announcement of the family data plan rates? The previous iPhone had a family plan that included unlimited data for two lines...that link is dead now. Any word on a 3G equivalent?

(Side note: I may eventually upgrade a third line...what are the data options if I do this?)

24. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Entirely unknown. The old one was like $110 for the first 2 lines, and $9.99 for additional lines, and if those lines were iPhone's +$20.00 on the $9.99. It is expected the 3G iPhone's additional lines will cost the $9.99 +$30.00 this time around...

25. jmckechnie thread starter macrumors member

jmckechnie

You would keep your family plan, add the iPhone unlimited data for $30 and unlimited text messages for $20. Sucks I know.