Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
My guess is that there could be a minor 3G G2 upgrade in January. We know Apple has a CPU chip that can be clocked faster in the current iPod Touch 2G. So they could put that CPU (or something even a fraction newer) in a new iPhone for more performance, or underclocked for more battery life. The latter is a good possibility to counter the fact that push notifications might eat battery life. They could also upgrade the radio chipset to support Nike+, and the audio out connector to support their remote volume control headset.

An aluminum colored plastic shell to better match the MacBook fashion statement is an interesting possibility.

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
there will be a bump to 32g but no hardware changes. They'll wait till this summer, and theyll continue to release a new iphone each summer because they know apple fanboys are willing to pay for a new phone every year

JamilD

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
I almost lol'd at that...

It's true, they usually refresh their products once a year

JamilD

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
Do you think they'll patch any jailbreak exploits with the announcement of the 32GB iPhone?

And if a 64GB iPod touch will be released?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Do you think they'll patch any jailbreak exploits with the announcement of the 32GB iPhone?

And if a 64GB iPod touch will be released?

if there is a 32GB iPhone i will bet you 1 trillion dollars there will be a 64GB iPod Touch

Its just a matter of when

MacsBestFriend

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
upstate ny (purgatory)
there will be a bump to 32g but no hardware changes. They'll wait till this summer, and theyll continue to release a new iphone each summer because they know apple fanboys are willing to pay for a new phone every year

yup. now is there a such thing as g4 speeds? then we know what this model will be dubbed. i expect videophone incorporated into the next model somehow;);) and your right: fanboys are like apple: they upgrade once a year:p

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
This just screams FAKE.

I know this has already been said several times but I feel a need for it to be said again; no major hardware changes for awhile, especially not at MacWorld.
There will most likely be a 32GB model announced/released along with firmware 2.3 and a 64GB iPod touch. at MacWorld 2009.
If they aren't released but are announced they will probably be released in mid February.

There won't be any updates other than a larger harddrive until next July.

WHAT?!
W-o-w.
The iPhone doesn't have a hard drive, it has a flash drive.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
Yeah, most of them are fake. Still, I think that a small update is needed. July may be the major release they are talking about. :confused:

I think what is obvious is that the speed and hardware can't be updated really from where they are or where they've been (original iPhone and iPhone 3G), so the only thing left to do is upgrade the software and hardware inside. If you think about it, although the 3G was new, it was mostly for internationals who wouldn't/couldn't buy a 2G phone in their country. With this next update, Apple and AT&T must win the hearts of iPhone 2G (original) owners, so they'll upgrade (AT&T) and buy the new phone (Apple). I expect at the very least videoconferencing, most likely 3.5G speeds, and possibly some other blow your mind feature. With the launch of the 3G, they only added GPS and 3G, they need to drop a bomb this coming June to keep the ball rolling.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
We were wondering in a thread the other day what the next phone will be called. The article called it iPhone 3G Generation 2 which is interesting and as good a name as any I've seen. When it gets shortened, do you think it'll be the iPhone 3G 2G or the iPhone 2G 3G? :)

What about iPhone 3G squared? (not written that way, but with the squared as a 2 above the 3G in superscript. Also, possibly iPhone 3.5G if they update the speeds to 3.5G. Think about it, the 3G was mostly for international customers, now the next will be for domestic U.S. customers. AT&T just announced this year that their 3.5G network is almost completed.

http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-a...-almost-complete-but-heres-the-catch-its-onl/

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
The next iPhone should have a revised shape and be called "iPhone 3G mid 2009", so it can confuse the heck out of people trying to figure out which case is the right fit -- as with the new "MacBook Pro late 2008".

But ideally, it would be called the "iPhone 3G with Cut 'n' Paste, Synching Tasks & Notes, MMS, and OTA Sync". :)

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
With this next update, Apple and AT&T must win the hearts of iPhone 2G (original) owners, so they'll upgrade (AT&T) and buy the new phone (Apple).

I believe youre onto something there. I've honestly never thought about this June/July being iphone's 2nd anniversary therefore folks holding onto their original iphones 2 year contract will be coming to an end soon. Yea you'd think they'd be planning something big that would make enough of an impact that you just GOTTA HAVE IT and sign that nice little 2 year contract again.

:D

Can't wait to see what happens if anything.

(By god, I've held off this long, I dunno how, but I've survived) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.