Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunnykeira

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Need Help Asap

As said above, I am also in wifi coverage 100% so I do not want 3g or EDGE network on Iphone

I am planning to purchase the iphone 3G from AT&T, then after 30 days I will cancel the plan, pay ETF and take the Iphone.
I am using At&T Sim on my w580i, I am going to use it on the Iphone.
Also, I will disable data transferring function on my At&T account.

will it gonna work or is there any problem which I havent figured out yet...

And finally, can I still use texting function after disabling the data function of Iphone?

thbt

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2006
I'm in Canada and I bought the 1st gen iPhone with no data plan, simply because data plans were prohibitively expensive at the time. It was still the best damn phone I ever owned, so don't tell me I should've gotten something else because I "couldn't use it to its full potential" or whatever it is that people like to say.

That being said, I have a data plan now and I love it. But an iPhone with no data plan is still one awesome phone.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
I like the guide I shall save it for when I get my phone. Do you have to jailbreak to unlock? I want to actually get the REAL iPhone plan in 4 months but I dont want to wait 4 months :O
as for the 3G chip. Go into a cingular store and get an upgraded 3G chip for FREE... yea thats right. You can use that chip for 3G on your iPhone. Sometimes the iPhone is just an iTouch for people... with basic phone functions.

its not that bad. Let people make there own choices. Its not like everyone's opinions are facts and your always right. Its really about opinion, needs, fun.

Thread starter: Hope you enjoy the iPhone, and hope the hack works for oyu :)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know if the unlockit.co.nz hack still works with 2.1?

I am in same situation as OP was- getting a good deal on an iPhone 3G without contract, and want to use it without a data plan.

EDIT- It seems to work just fine. When I turn off Wifi, after using the unlockit.co.nz site I cannot access the internet. I still need to doublecheck my AT&T account to confirm no data is being downloaded at all.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't have a family text plan, I had a family voice plan (which I kept and was able to use my iPhone.)

But I did sign up for a cheap text plan (200 messages for $5 a month.)

chaklee

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
this is confirmed it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it does not work for me!! i put my sim card from regular motorola and inserted in iphone 3g then using wifi went to the hack mentioned on 1st page but now i do not get the network signal?? it just shows NO bars..i do not know if i am doing anything wrong, someone plz help me figure this out, much appreciated..

chaklee

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
any help appreciated...i tried restoring but still no signal..and yes i didn't use the new 2.2 upgrade so my baseband is still old. i just put my sim card from my motorola last week and it worked fine but then next day i got text from att saying i need iphone's data plan so i removed the sim card and now when i m trying i get no signal??

could it be that att did something at their end?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
any help appreciated...i tried restoring but still no signal..and yes i didn't use the new 2.2 upgrade so my baseband is still old. i just put my sim card from my motorola last week and it worked fine but then next day i got text from att saying i need iphone's data plan so i removed the sim card and now when i m trying i get no signal??

could it be that att did something at their end?

It's possible. Using this method should have nothing to do with the baseband or anything like that.

Do you have a friend's AT&T SIM card or something like that to try with the iPhone? Also, does your SIM work when you put it back in your Moto phone?

chaklee

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
It's possible. Using this method should have nothing to do with the baseband or anything like that.

Do you have a friend's AT&T SIM card or something like that to try with the iPhone? Also, does your SIM work when you put it back in your Moto phone?

i will try to check using someone else's sim...sim works perfect with old phone !!

albert1234

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2008
Hey snake

I found a good deal from a friend on a 3G Iphone and was wondering if it was possible to use the SIM from my AT&t Razr and unlock/jailbreak it to work with that, because I cant afford the data plan.

Is there any way of doing this? Basically just staying on AT&T and using my sim card, but having no data plan?

Im just confused because everyone says the 3G hasnt been unlocked- I dont know if it has to be in order to do this. Thanks.

Hey snake, I am in the same situation as you are or were a few months back. My friend just got a blackberry and he is selling his iphone 3g. I will be taking it of his hands, but I am too broke to afford another 30 dollars a month for a data plan. I was wondering if any of the tips given in this thread helped what steps you took make this happen. I would greatly appreciate it if you can message me back with some information on how you got this to work.

Thank you so much

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
The purpose of an iphone is being able to use all its features. That is the reason why ATT makes you get the unlimited data plan so you don't have to worry about data charges. If you don't have the data plan on your iphone, what is the point of getting one?

I barley use my iphone leave it in the car most days, I unlocked and jailbroke it so when i go to hotels I can get my mail and surf the web, other then that i use Tmobile Pre paid and love it.

columbiazulu

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
thanks very much for this thread, have been looking all over the internet about this, but haven't seen anything concrete. i still have a few doubts which i hope the members who have been able to sign up without data plan could help me with.

from what i've read on the AT&T website, you're committed to a 2 year $30/mth data plan regardless of whether you break your iphone etc. how do you get over this obstacle?

one way would be to buy the iphone 3g and not activate it via itunes, but instead unlock it with yellowsnow. this seems like a good way to do it, but i remember reading when the iphone 3g was introduced, they said something like if you don't activate it after a month they will charge your card etc (i.e. they're keeping track to ensure everyone activates). i haven't heard if they actually were able to implement this. any idea?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The best bet would be to buy a phone from some other source- EBay, Craigslist, etc. If you buy from AT&T, you would have to pay the early termination fee ($175), and maybe a month of service plus activation (not sure about that.)

OTOH, if you buy refurb from AT&T you might still get it cheapest that way.

columbiazulu

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I am going to get my 2g replaced with the 3g (because of dead strip), so hence i don't need to worry about ETF of $175 (if i don't activate and just use yellowsnow). From reading up some more, it seems that AT&T is able to know if a person is using the iphone (assuming the person has AT&T service) and not having the data plan, and they send texts/emails informing the individual that they have to sign up for a data plan. No one has commented what the follow up measure is if you still avoid the data-plan.

I have the option of getting a replacement 2g instead, and I think I might just do that and continue to use a 2g unlocked without data like I have been doing for the last 10 months. I definitely do not intend on paying $30*12*2 = $760 in data for the 3g!

sunnykeira

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
I have just purchased an Iphone 3g on ebay and now I am having the following questions. really appreciate if anyone can answer me
1. I am using ATT w580i and is it possible if I just plug my sim card to the Iphone and good to go?

2. I am not sure the version of my Iphone 2.1 or 2.2 but does the method of Techiscool work for all versions?

I am online YM at sunnykeira@yahoo.com
is there any one can help me since I am not a pro about Iphone

Thanks a lot

jjbcentral

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I tried this last night on a 1st gen iPhone that was given to my wife and it loaded fine, but...
I loaded it without a sim in the phone, then put her sim in the phone and it wanted me to sync with itunes. Once I connected to itunes, it wanted me to register the phone with a data plan (giving me no other options).
I'm curious if anyone else had this happen or if there is a way around it.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I tried this last night on a 1st gen iPhone that was given to my wife and it loaded fine, but...
I loaded it without a sim in the phone, then put her sim in the phone and it wanted me to sync with itunes. Once I connected to itunes, it wanted me to register the phone with a data plan (giving me no other options).
I'm curious if anyone else had this happen or if there is a way around it.

I think this phone needs to be activated first. Then you can stick in another AT&T SIM card, and use this hack so the phone does not transfer data through the cellular connection.

jjbcentral

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
I think this phone needs to be activated first. Then you can stick in another AT&T SIM card, and use this hack so the phone does not transfer data through the cellular connection.

Thanks for the reply!! So can I activate the phone with the sim from my iPhone 3g or will that screw me up???

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm really not sure, but I think you should be able to do that.

You could also try calling AT&T, just tell them you bought a iPhone secondhand and see what they say. Or perhaps tell them you're thinking about buying one for your wife secondhand, and want to know if you would need a data plan to activate, etc...

jjbcentral

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
You could also try calling AT&T, just tell them you bought a iPhone secondhand and see what they say. Or perhaps tell them you're thinking about buying one for your wife secondhand, and want to know if you would need a data plan to activate, etc...

Tried calling them the day we got it for her. They won't do anything unless you buy a data package. My wife has absolutely NO USE for a data package (I have to remind her to check her email). She just like having an ipod and phone all in one that she can also play games on.

I just don't get why AT&T does this. I can understand them wanting to monopolize the new phones, but used phones too?

I would've put my sim in her phone but I don't want to screw anything up with my phone or plan. :(

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If you only put your SIM in the phone and see if that gets the phone started (without having to go through the activation procedure), I really doubt anything bad will happen (not 100% sure). I really doubt your plan is going to suddenly change or anything like that.

I've only dealt with secondhand iPhones so I'm not sure how to go about it here.

jjbcentral

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
If you only put your SIM in the phone and see if that gets the phone started (without having to go through the activation procedure), I really doubt anything bad will happen (not 100% sure). I really doubt your plan is going to suddenly change or anything like that.

Nope... Put my sim in and had to go through the activation anyway.

The only other thing I can think of is to call AT&T, explain that my wife wants to *TRY* her iPhone with the data package for a day or two and if she doesn't like it, cancel it. The next day I cancel it. At worst I'll have to pay for the 1 day of data service but I'll be able to activate the phone. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.