Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I recently got ripped off, because i got my 3g about a month ago, now my carrier (Fido) dropped the price of the 16gb 3gS to the same as mine, dropped he price of mine. Since then,I've been figuring out how to optimize it. After a lot of research, ive found two things that can really speed up your phone.

1)
Remove unnecessary launch daemons. These are automated processes that cannot be stopped via "free Memory."
"This means that when your iPhone or iPod is turned on, it loads a bunch of background processes (over 60!) that allow it to do various things, like connect to the Internet and receive calls. Since these processes are in the background, they take up a sizable amount of your device's available RAM, and because they're system processes, they can't be killed with SBSettings or MemTool. The good news is that some of these daemons are completely unnecessary (for most people), and you can simply delete them and regain the RAM they were taking up."

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224341

I deleted everything i don't need, and my phones seen a speed improvement.

2) You cant really preform this on ios 4 yet, because mobile terminal doesn't work:

the iphone has many languages, which always load first. Using a script in mobile terminal, you can delete the unneeded ones for YOU. I had deleted all besides English. in 3.1.3, this also aided my performance. After installing a few new apps you should run this script again. it really helps.
follow this tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6usrLQHiWw

THESE DO NOT FREE A LOT OF RAM, BUT THEY IMPROVE "SPEED" OR MAKE THE PHONE ZIPPIER:p:eek:

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
how to improve ios 4 speed

ive read that steve jobs said that the shadows that are behind each icon arent capalbe on the 3g. maybe by removeing them (if possible), we can speed things up?:cool:

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
ive read that steve jobs said that the shadows that are behind each icon arent capalbe on the 3g. maybe by removeing them (if possible), we can speed things up?:cool:

I have not a clue what you mean about shadows....I can't seem to see them on my 3gs 4.0 official release.

You mean on the spring board right??

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Yep. Just remove or rename

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/WallpaperIconShadow.png

Haven't done it personally since there's no speed complaints here, but thought I'd pass it along.

WOW great tip guys! Although I have a 3GS I might consider removing it myself now too.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Wouldnt delting Lang packs only give you more space technically? I dont see how having more langs makes the device slower?

pwb2103

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks, I will definitely try this. Once I get the ip4 I'll have a 3g laying around that I just want to unlock and use when I travel abroad. I'll definitely do anything I can to make it run faster because that beast already crawls compared to a 3gs so making the jump from ip4 back to 3g will probably be even more painful without this help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.