Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmcb

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
I went from 28-30 to 65 - 70 mbs free! This one's a keeper!

same here, I also used to have a lot of "stalls" that would just happen for 10-15 sec while my phone freed up more memory mostly while using safari but it seems as tho this had stopped also.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
i have had mine for about a week or two, but it is actually acting up right now. I think i may re-JB and take off multitasking and stuff. I only have 2 months left in japan and then i will get a new iphone anyways.

apple multitasking doesn't even seem to do anything special....or anything at all for that matter. Maybe it is just early in the app game for this feature to be good.

is folders available for iphone 3G 4.0? that is the only new feature that i really like.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
i have had mine for about a week or two, but it is actually acting up right now. I think i may re-JB and take off multitasking and stuff. I only have 2 months left in japan and then i will get a new iphone anyways.

apple multitasking doesn't even seem to do anything special....or anything at all for that matter. Maybe it is just early in the app game for this feature to be good.

is folders available for iphone 3G 4.0? that is the only new feature that i really like.

Yes - developers have to update their applications to get multitasking functionality and most have not done so (yet).

Folders are available on the iPhone 3G.

i installed imemory enhancer and it seems to work. SBSettings reads 60-80mb.

Tried this on my iPod touch 2nd generation and it got stuck at the Apple logo on boot up. Had to DFU restore.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Yes - developers have to update their applications to get multitasking functionality and most have not done so (yet).

Folders are available on the iPhone 3G.

Tried this on my iPod touch 2nd generation and it got stuck at the Apple logo on boot up. Had to DFU restore.

thanks for the folders answer. i think i may just restore and JB without multitasking and wallpaper and stuff, and keep my phone cydia app free untill mywi (no rock) comes out.

outcastrc

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
BC, Canada
I've found a way to make multitasking work wonderfully on 3G. I had all the same problems you guys have been having when I first jailbroke and enabled multitasking and homescreen wallpapers. I restored to a stock firmware and then once again jailbroke and enabled multitasking, installed cydia, but did nothing else. Then I downloaded backgrounder and remove recents. I used backgrounder to set global backgrounding permissions to off, with exceptions for Safari, Pandora, and other apps I actually use. This way apps I just open, such as settings or clock, don't keep hogging memory. My phone has been working like a champ ever since.

I'll have to try that. I have multitasking and backgrounds enabled and the phones running along fine until I get too many apps in the "taskbar" I need to close a bunch of them to get everything running well again. I was thinking that an option that would let you chose the programs to keep active and dispose of the rest would be a better option for the 3g...

But then my question has to be if apples multitasking only works so so on the 3g, and we know backgrounder works just fine. Is there any honestly good reason to install the apple multitasking at all?

ajax43

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
North America
I gotta say guys, my iphone was dragging bad since I jailbroke it about two weeks ago. I just read this thread, uninstalled Winterboard and installed imemory enhancer and my 8gig 3G is definitely faster. It is showing 81mb available. Thanks for the help. I love this forum.:)

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2009
I'll have to try that. I have multitasking and backgrounds enabled and the phones running along fine until I get too many apps in the "taskbar" I need to close a bunch of them to get everything running well again. I was thinking that an option that would let you chose the programs to keep active and dispose of the rest would be a better option for the 3g...

But then my question has to be if apples multitasking only works so so on the 3g, and we know backgrounder works just fine. Is there any honestly good reason to install the apple multitasking at all?
A combo of apps on a jailbroken 3G work so much better with IOS4. iMemory Enhancer, Backgrounder, SBSettings to "free up space" The jailbreak communities seem to know these phones better than Apple's engineers do? I haven't had a crash since using this setup...

Sboxer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
I gotta say guys, my iphone was dragging bad since I jailbroke it about two weeks ago. I just read this thread, uninstalled Winterboard and installed imemory enhancer and my 8gig 3G is definitely faster. It is showing 81mb available. Thanks for the help. I love this forum.:)

can't find imemory enhancer in cydia. What depo did you get it from?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I found that on my girlfriend's 3G downgrading to 3.1.3 did the trick:D

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Then I downloaded backgrounder and remove recents. I used backgrounder to set global backgrounding permissions to off, with exceptions for Safari, Pandora, and other apps I actually use. This way apps I just open, such as settings or clock, don't keep hogging memory. My phone has been working like a champ ever since.

I did something similar on my 3GS, except I enabled multitasking by default and have created separate exceptions for things like Clock and Address book. Who in the world would want Clock backgrounded, anyway? Seems a really strange design choice to clutter up the task switcher with apps like that.

In case anyone is unaware, there is no reason for Phone to be running in the background all the time. The commcenter daemon handles incoming calls and will automatically invoke Phone when it's needed...all running Phone in the background does is marginally improve speed of opening the Phone app.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
i need the multitasking and the home wallpapers. :( how do you speed it up without losing those two things?

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
what things are listed in the thread? people just telling to not use multitasking and the background thing. and use imemory expander?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
what things are listed in the thread? people just telling to not use multitasking and the background thing. and use imemory expander?

Many other things have been suggested, including using Backgrounder to disable multitasking for apps that don't need it (Clock, Contacts, etc.) and disabling non-essential daemons. Read the thread and stop acting like a troll.

DarkCloud2015

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
iMemory Enhancer did the trick for me. I now have multi-tasking enabled and still have ~40 MB of free memory.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Wow, iMemory Enhancer really does the trick. Don't pay any attention to the "Free RAM" number (usually show around 40-50MB, far higher than the 5-10MB I had previously) but the overall responsiveness -- especially with a couple of the new background-aware apps running -- is markedly better. Nice!

I think iOS 4 really pushes the 3G to the limits hardware-wise even in the most basic tasks; the overhead of the OS itself is considerably higher than 3.x and with only 128MB of RAM...

That said I'm hoping to get at least a couple more months out of my 3G; it still runs pretty darn well, save for a battery that could use replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.