Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
No.

I never called you a liar. I did say the email is bogus because there are no identifying marks on it at all. I can make the same wording up in 30 seconds. You can't expect people to take this as an official announcement when it isn't public knowledge yet. Even if it is true.

Hey, I hope it is true....it will make my morning commute much better since every douche will be standing in line for a phone.

So, your calling me a fraud then...

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Very good news! Didn't want to ruin a perfectly good Friday night waiting inline at some At&t store... :D

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
For what it's worth, I just called and spoke with a sales agent, and after that, a manager or assistant manager at all of these AT&T Corporate stores:

AT&T
3314 UNIVERSITY DR
MADISON, WI 53705
(608) 218-9701 1.71 Miles

AT&T
7432 MINERAL POINT RD
MADISON, WI 53717
(608) 829-4980 5.19 Miles

AT&T
3902 E WASHINGTON AVE
MADISON, WI 53704
(608) 245-6000 5.61 Miles

AT&T
2500 MILTON AVE
JANESVILLE, WI 53545
(608) 756-5800 32.45 Miles

AT&T
1380 PABST FARMS CIR
OCONOMOWOC, WI 53066
(262) 567-0122 47.68 Miles

AT&T
187 N PIONEER RD
FOND DU LAC, WI 54935
(920) 907-0706 67.68 Miles

ALL said they still had no idea what time of day the iPhone was launching, with a couple of them saying, "even we haven't been given that information yet".

Not saying it's not true; just saying no local store here could/would confirm it.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
So, your calling me a fraud then...

Dude, are you serious? Im not calling you anything. All I am saying is the screenshot you posted doesn't prove anything. It is not identifiable in any way shape or form. It could certainly be 100% accurate and true, but until there is an official announcement from AT&T to the PUBLIC then noone knows the offical launch time.

Hence....macrumors.com

Definition - Rumor: Noun

1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts.

When verified a rumor becomes -------get this------FACT.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
Dude, are you serious? Im not calling you anything. All I am saying is the screenshot you posted doesn't prove anything. It is not identifiable in any way shape or form. It could certainly be 100% accurate and true, but until there is an official announcement from AT&T to the PUBLIC then noone knows the offical launch time.

Hence....macrumors.com

Definition - Rumor: Noun

1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts.

so your saying i made up a fraudulent email.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Confirmed here in Sacramento as well. However....

Anyone want to brave a call to a local Apple Store and see if they're opening that early as well? If your store is in a mall, the mall will be open (morning walkers, etc.), but nothing yet on this from an Apple Store.
Which AT&T store did you call?

I might call the Apple store later on today if I'm bored. :p But doesn't Arden mall not open until 9/10 a.m.? Although that would be kind of cool if the only open store was Apple.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

No.

Im saying its not identifiable, just like several pictures of the 3G iphone that were posted here before the June 9th WWDC.

Post the screenshot without the black out. Maybe that identifies it more clearly.

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
The one in the Palmer Mall Easton PA was the first to confirm it.

I just called:

AT&T
2455 PARK AVE
EASTON, PA 18045
(610) 923-0700 2.05 Miles

and talked to "Frank". He said 8AM, and I asked if this was based on information his store had received. He said this was just a rumor, and he'd seen the same info on the internet as everyone else.

that means they probably know, but "cant" tell you.

I highly doubt ALL of them would non-chalantly and jokingly talk about how they haven't even been told yet. The only store I have been able to get a time out of (above) was from someone who had simply seen the same rumors we all are talking about now.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004

And people are perfectly entitled to say that with good reason, if you know anything about people on this forum claiming all sorts of supposed insider knowledge.

Best thing is to not make a personal issue of it.

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
PERFECT!!!

Thats a lil more confirmation.

No, it's not...everyone currently blogging about it is saying the same thing: that they got a "tip" that managers got an email saying 8AM. Regurgitating the same information without proof is hardly confirmation.

More like "wishful thinking".

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
so, i asked an apple store employee just this past sunday about the release time on july 11 and he said they had just heard that it was going to be at 6:00 pm, just like the 1st generation release. i find it incredible that at&t could start selling it before apple stores on that day, though i would not complain because that would make my 3g iphone hunt much less painful...

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
Which AT&T store did you call?

I might call the Apple store later on today if I'm bored. :p But doesn't Arden mall not open until 9/10 a.m.? Although that would be kind of cool if the only open store was Apple.

I just called all the AT&T Corporate locations in Sacramento. NONE said they had any info about launch times. (And no, it's not a case of managers now having "gotten to" all of their staff and "shutting them up". That's almost "iPhone 3G might really have a front facing camera after all!"-type material.) Doesn't look like we have any confirmation here at all, because only ONE of the 11 AT&T stores I called said anything about 8AM, and that person said it was a rumor he saw online. Little premature, here folks.

AT&T
547 L ST STE 1066E
SACRAMENTO, CA 95814
(916) 440-0445 0.39 Miles

Charles: store opens at 10AM, no info on launch time

AT&T
1749 ARDEN WAY
SACRAMENTO, CA 95815
(916) 561-6976 3.89 Miles

No name (female): no details yet on launch time, check back in July

AT&T
4000 TRUXEL RD STE A1
SACRAMENTO, CA 95834
(916) 515-3901 4.23 Miles

No answer on 4 calls...will try later. UPDATE: No name (female): no details about launch time of day yet; check back about a week before July 11

AT&T
2228 FAIR OAKS BLVD
SACRAMENTO, CA 95825
(916) 922-1137 4.32 Miles

Jennifer: open at 9AM, no info on launch time; don't know if they are opening earlier yet, or if it will be later like last launch, etc.

so, i asked an apple store employee just this past sunday about the release time on july 11 and he said they had just heard that it was going to be at 6:00 pm, just like the 1st generation release. i find it incredible that at&t could start selling it before apple stores on that day, though i would not complain because that would make my 3g iphone hunt much less painful...

They've heard nothing more than the same rumors everyone else has heard. Apple Store managers don't even know yet.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
And people are perfectly entitled to say that with good reason, if you know anything about people on this forum claiming all sorts of supposed insider knowledge.

Best thing is to not make a personal issue of it.
Likewise, people also need to realize that this email cannot be verified nor falsified, similar to every other rumor. Asking this user to post confidential information is, however, unreasonable. And realistically what does it matter? Even if the names in the email were revealed, there would still be many who doubt, and just as many who believe, not unlike the current situation. Fact is we'll all find out when a press release is made, but until then nothing is certain.

Just to be clear, I'm neither in support nor against this user or their claims. I simply feel that people need to recognize that this information should be taken at face-value (although with a grain of salt), as is the case with all rumors, but there's no use dwelling on it. You can only squeeze so much juice from a lemon.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Easy way to resolve this..

Why dont you PM me his name and I will confirm his identity.

I wont reveal any information, I will just confirm that the source is legit.

This will put all doubts aside for the haters.

I cant tell you anything else but I could assure you that the source has been verified and this is legit.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
They've heard nothing more than the same rumors everyone else has heard. Apple Store managers don't even know yet.

he said they had just heard about it, as in it was an official communication from corporate. believe me or not - i don't really care, but that's what he told me and i'm certainly not anyone he would feel the need to lie to...

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
They will not be selling it at 6pm due to lengthened purchase times because of signing up in store.

Use logic people... Logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.