Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I am supposed to upgrade from 1st gen iphone to the 3g iphone.But i am now cosidering the instinct due to the materials that the new iphone is made of.Also because of the data plan going up.I currently have the $99 unlimited talk + the extra for data and texting.My bill is over $120 a month now.After the 3g release its going to be higher than that.And about the plastic material of the 3g iphone yeah i know most phones are plastic but you can also insure most of those other plastic phones like the instinct.Also my bill would be $100 for everything with the instinct.Any reasons why i should go with 3g iphone.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
I am supposed to upgrade from 1st gen iphone to the 3g iphone.But i am now cosidering the instinct due to the materials that the new iphone is made of.Also because of the data plan going up.I currently have the $99 unlimited talk + the extra for data and texting.My bill is over $120 a month now.After the 3g release its going to be higher than that.And about the plastic material of the 3g iphone yeah i know most phones are plastic but you can also insure most of those other plastic phones like the instinct.Also my bill would be $100 for everything with the instinct.Any reasons why i should go with 3g iphone.

Only you and you alone can decide what phone you want, read up on both, play with both, then decide.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
"The reviewers thought that the web browsing experience of the Samsung Instinct was not as elegant as the iPhone and although reviewers like the QWERTY landscape touch screen keyboard, it did not fix spelling errors."

Not to mention the App Store is going to make the iPhone a vastly powerful smartphone. And not choosing it because it's made with the same material that ALL other cell phones are?? What are you worried about? The plastic they make cellphones out of doesn't crack or break - I've dropped a couple different ones onto concrete many times without harming the phone in any way.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yup,^^^sounds like you are buried. Why would you want to pay $99 for unlimited talk? (Well, I can understand your predicament). That's 90% of your problem. Anything after that is just going to jack your bill. Maybe if you could get a family plan or a fewer minute plan, (eg. 1400 mins, or 700 mins.) then work your way down towards a monthly payment that is reasonable and feasible. There's more to your iPhone than unlimited talk. You can dooo iiittt!:p

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Is it really that easy for you to switch cell carriers?

And the Instinct apparently has a horrible web browser, and the UI just isn't as good as the iPhone.

It's by no means better than the iPhone so I don't know why you'd go with the Instinct just because they're both made of plastic...

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Is it really that easy for you to switch cell carriers? And the Instinct apparently has a horrible web browser, and the UI just isn't as good as the iPhone. It's by no means better than the iPhone so I don't know why you'd go with the Instinct just because they're both made of plastic...

I have to concur, since I did the demo thing at a Circuit City and was allowed to tinker with the Instinct. It seemed very light, too much plastic, almost like a toy, difficult to get the keyboard up and running, seems the touchscreen is unresponsive, taking several times to press rather hard to get a response, the TV thingy is a joke, couldn't get it up and running while in the store, so much for VZ 3G or whatever they were running, it just took a really longtime for me to browse the internet or to open a webpage. I was getting frustrated b/c the keyboard was one of those Qwerty things that I don't play well with. Definitely an "iPhonie" hands down. I'll never touch one of those things for the rest of my life. I need to wash my hands...:eek:

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Yeah i love my iphone now.Its just that the $99 for unlimited talk and data,$7 a month for insurance if i break my phone(instinct)new one for free,sounds so good.I just left sprint to come to att for the iphone and love every bit of the iphone and pretty sure i will love the 3g iphone.But if i break the iphone $200 all over again and also about $150 a month for unlimited everything.I need unlimited talk because i use my phone for work.I know the iphone is better than the instinct but the other things are what i am worried about.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
they claim on their website that the instinct is compatible with a stylus....
which seems to mean no multitouch

that means the iPhone is much easier to use and has alot more capabilities with its multitouch display.

plus the instinct probably won't ever be able to utilize its accelerometer (does it even have one??) in the way the iPhone will with all the 3rd party apps

thrown in the fact that the iPhone is basically a mobile computing platform running what is basically Mac OSX and all the simply amazing apps that are in development now and the literally thousands more to come

the only advantage the instinct seems to have is its camcorder and MMS, which will likely be added to the iPhone through a 3rd party app or (pray for this) by Apple themselves, and its price (?) although I havn't looked at the rate plans for it

the iPhone just seems like a better choice to me, and I honestly think the new material is gonna be much much better. Better reception, and I think it's gonna look alot sleeker than people think. Plus the aluminum dents like crazy (I have one and its full of dents).

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah i love my iphone now.Its just that the $99 for unlimited talk and data,$7 a month for insurance if i break my phone(instinct)new one for free,sounds so good.I just left sprint to come to att for the iphone and love every bit of the iphone and pretty sure i will love the 3g iphone.But if i break the iphone $200 all over again and also about $150 a month for unlimited everything.I need unlimited talk because i use my phone for work.I know the iphone is better than the instinct but the other things are what i am worried about.

are you sure you NEED unlimited talk?, pull up your cell records and see how many minutes you actually use from month to month, I doubt it is as big as you think

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Call up AT&T and try and do a deal then, surely they'll match the competition, or at least give you a discount.

tj8

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
are you sure you NEED unlimited talk?, pull up your cell records and see how many minutes you actually use from month to month, I doubt it is as big as you think
Nah i can understand someone needing unlimited talk time, my Dad's blackberry is ringing like a mother****er at times and he does his fair share of calling on it too, something like over 3800 minutes last month. i don't even speak that much when i'm not using a phone.

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Nah i can understand someone needing unlimited talk time, my Dad's blackberry is ringing like a mother****er at times and he does his fair share of calling on it too, something like over 3800 minutes last month. i don't even speak that much when i'm not using a phone.

Yep same with me.I use alot of minutes.I feel like i am going to be paying alot more money monthly and god forbid if the phone breaks or i loose it just because of how much i like this v1 iphone.I dont even know if im going to like the 3g version more than this one.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
The instinct doesn't have any significant storage. You'll likely need to pay an extra $99 to get a 8GB microcard to match the iPhone. But above that...Their UI cannot compete with OS X (which will be constantly improving).

Delta608

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Tampa Bay
The instinct doesn't have any significant storage. You'll likely need to pay an extra $99 to get a 8GB microcard to match the iPhone. But above that...Their UI cannot compete with OS X (which will be constantly improving).

Thats mostly true..But an Instinct wireless phone actually works as intended...as a phone...:p

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008

Every smart phone ive ever used has been plastic. I dont see that as a problem.

guitarguy09

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
"The Good Land"
This isn't even a legit comparison, in my opinion. Why would anyone want the "knock-off" version when the "real deal" has become so "affordable". (Yes, the iphone is not perfect and I wish they had done a few more things, but you still can't deny how powerful the phone is. Look at how many phones are coming out in an attempt to mimic it... I'm not going to lie, I'm an apple fanboy at heart, so take that for what it's worth.)

Delta608

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Tampa Bay
This isn't even a legit comparison, in my opinion. Why would anyone want the "knock-off" version when the "real deal" has become so "affordable". (Yes, the iphone is not perfect and I wish they had done a few more things, but you still can't deny how powerful the phone is. Look at how many phones are coming out in an attempt to mimic it... I'm not going to lie, I'm an apple fanboy at heart, so take that for what it's worth.)

The Iphone is great...There is no comparison..I have both an Instinct (me from work) and my wife an Iphone...(Obviously not 3G) ..AT&T leaves MUCH to be desired..Like I said earlier, if you buy an Iphone for the telephone capabilities you are surely not going to be happy....The instinct works surprisingly well as a phone on the Sprint/Nextel network and is cheaper too...The TV and GPS is pretty cool too....There is no MAC compatibility and no way to get to my Itunes..(Unless going thru VMfusion) but that is a pain...

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Two Words: APP STORE

the Samsung Instinct isn't even supposed to be a direct iPhone contender, i think they said that on cnet or something.

Going to the instinct from your first getn iPhone will be a serious downgrade, I have played with both phones extensively and the iPhone is just a better device.

Plus, the APP Store will give your iPhone the capabilities to do nearly anything developers can think of.

People in this forum get too hung up on the hardware of the 3g iPhone, the app store is what is really going to make this thing spectacular.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Your obviously going to be told to get an iPhone on a forum like this, but...

Even though I adore the iPhone, for your needs Instinct seems the way to go. Honestly, all reviews of it are overwhelmingly positive, citing it as the best Samsung phone and best Sprint phones ever. However, a few things to keep in mind:
-As everyone says, no App Store, honestly, I don't foresee myself buying a ton of apps but apparently others here do, so maybe so do you, haha.
-No iTunes integration: This is huge for me since my iPhone replaces my iPod.
-Network security: Sprint is NOT doing well as a network. Whether or not it will be here in another year or two is unclear.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I am in a similar situation. I am still on Sprint since the previous version of the iPhone wasn't good enough. Now that they have 3G and more apps it's a hard choice to make.

I still want AT&T or Apple to get off of their @$$es and give me insurance which is unparalleled in the Sprint world, but I can live without it since I haven't lost too many phones, but you never know.

The features of the Instinct smash the iPhone's hands down, but I too worry about the speed of the OS, not the web however, since EVDO is faster than AT&T's 3G from what I have seen (NOT PROOF of course, just observations). The iPhone UI is amazing and unmatched, but I wish Apple had put their foot in features, but anyone could have guessed that while Apple was playing catch up with 2001 cell phone features the comp would be putting out 2008-2010 feature sets, which the instinct has.

The bill is another big issue. The unlimited everything plans that are out now are unreal. If I had an Instinct and stayed with Sprint I would get one, and laugh it up to any iPhone/AT&T user, but I know they would just show me their UI and shut me up. Right now my bill is $65 with unlimited web and 700 minutes, but to get unlimited TV, Text, etc, I'd pay $100+ tax.

The feature set of the Instinct matches and surpasses that of the iPhone in almost every way that I have seen so far. The UI is still circa 2004 smartphone IMHO. It's effective, but it's not as shiny. And that keyboard looks too ordinary indeed. No correction or XT9 with much larger buttons ala the HTC Touch.

I agree with anyone saying to try both out and see if the Instinct is worth it. The deal breaker for me is going to be how it syncs with machines and my music. I have a .Mac/Mobile Me account and enough music to want the phone to play nice with it, so those may seal the deal for me. But Sprint's unmatched insurance and service plan price; along with Instinct's feature set still makes it a hard choice for myself.

Only time will tell.

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
The features of the Instinct smash the iPhone's hands down,

<snippity snip>

The feature set of the Instinct matches and surpasses that of the iPhone in almost every way that I have seen so far.

Really? Smashes it hands down? And matches and surpasses it in almost every way? Can you list these amazing features that surpass or even matches the iPhone's please?

From some of the actual hands-on reviews I've read (including this one saying it's the best Samsung phone, but certainly no iPhone killer) there are numerous things that it hasn't even come close to being as polished as the iPhone, i.e. incredibly slow, unintuitive and cludgy web browser, lackluster music and video player, same 2 megapixel camera (though it does record video, but most likely that's a software thing and the iPhone will soon do that as well), ringtone features terrible, visual voicemail doesn't work (or has it been fixed by now?) no WiFi, etc, etc.

Review said:
I gotta say it: The Instinct's browser is an ABYSMAL failure of design. It's not that I'm surprised. Nobody has pulled off the mobile browser quite like Apple has. But for some reason, despite Sprint's EV-DO Rev. A network, the browser is slow slow slow, too slow to do much of anything. Beyond that, the interface is streamlined almost to the point of unusability. I can't figure out a way to add a current page to favorites, and zooming in and out requires a tap of a button, that increases or decreases the page—again, very slowly—to an arbitrary size.

Review said:
There are some other issues that I had with the phone: I turned off the vibration feedback, since it seemed out of sync with the visuals and was frankly just annoying. As you probably guessed, you still can't make your own songs into ringtones, and you can't even turn Sprint's Music Store songs into ringtones either (full 3MB song download for $1.99 vs. 500KB partial song download for $2.50—you do the math). The ringtone-getting process was a bitch, partly because it's based on that slow-ass browser. I mentioned the camera wasn't award-winning, and I will stress that again...

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
@SlapMonkey
You seem to not realize what feature set means. He means spec-wise the Instinct is essentially better than the iPhone, but he then went on to say that the iPhone's UI and everything obviously is superior to the Instinct. Take it down a notch...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
@SlapMonkey
You seem to not realize what feature set means. He means spec-wise the Instinct is essentially better than the iPhone, but he then went on to say that the iPhone's UI and everything obviously is superior to the Instinct. Take it down a notch...

Thanks, I was going to quote him but you beat me to it.

Going on Sprints website gives you the rundown of the features as well. And yes, I can image the phone's UI being is death toll for some, maybe even me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.