iPhone 3G restoring gone..WRONG!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duskandsummer, Nov 21, 2009.

1. duskandsummer macrumors member

I looked through the whole forum..no solution.

this is a brand spanking new Iphone 3G that Apple gave me today.
    I went to iTunes to restore it before I did anything to it. It has 3.1.2 firmware on it.

middle of the restore I get an error message saying that iTunes couldn't restore..but now my phone is stuck on the usb and itunes picture

I restarted my computer..and now I am getting a message from windows saying "usb device not recognized" under the device manager it is unknown device.

sooo what should I do? please please help if you know!

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hold down the power and home button until it turns off (it may take 30 seconds). Then power it back on.

3. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

ive done it already..
    the phone will shut down
    the apple comes up for like 2 seconds and then its back to the usb and itunes picture and my computer still wont recognize it

4. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

I have tried going to device manager..

but its an unknown device
    my computer read my phone fine until I tried to restore it..and now its stuck on recovery mode and I need to finish the restore so it will go back to the spring board..

it says no drivers installed for this device...apple mobile device is started..

I seriously don't know what else to do..I am re-installing itunes for the second time to see if it works.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

6. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

how do you do that?

like by holding down the home and power key..I've done that.

my computer is not recognizing the device..like I don't get a "Dee Dum" when I plug it in..instead I get this little pop up message that reads..

USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED
    One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

you click the message and it takes you to a menu and shows me what is plugged in..
    my iphone is labeled as "unknown device" because when I unplug it..it goes away and when I plug it back in its back.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I assume you have the latest version of iTunes. If not update it.

Then click on my sig and follow the instructions to the letter.

8. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

my Itunes is updated...where is my sig though.

Like I really don't think its itunes...because it doesn't even read that my iPhone is plugged in..like when I plug it in all the USB ports in my laptop the same message pops up.

My phone right now STILL has the picture of itunes with the USB chord.

this is very frustrating..and I don't want to have to go to Apple because they gave me this phone even though my warranty on my other phone was expired..I didn't have to pay 199 so I rather fix this here

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

10. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

yah I have no idea what you are talking about there is no link that says MY sig on my itunes..and its the latest version. 9.0.2.5 whatever it is you get the idea lol this MY sig link is no where to be found!

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't know how to explain the link in my sig (-aggie-) any clearer to you! Here's the link. CLICK ON IT. :)
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

12. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

I don't think you get it lol

I have done this over a million times on my phone.

I think I got the 1604 message saying that itunes error can't finish restore..

my phone right now is in mid restore..it shows the itunes and usb plug. everytime I do the DFU mode..all that pops up is the USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED...trust me I have done this like 20 million times..its not working.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Bring the whole thing to the genius bar, easiest solution.

14. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

i really don't know what to do im going bonkers!

I am trying a pwnage download to see if it will get my phone out of recovery mode. Because ultimately thats whats going on..its on the recovery loop..my windows can't find it and neither can itunes..so hopefully if I can get it out of that..then maybe the computer and itunes will find it.

15. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

If you click on aggie's link he posted it will take you to some instructions which will show you how to get your phone into DFU mode. Then try and restore it. If that doesnt work you can put it into DFU mode, download the latests iPhone 3G firmware from here hold shift and click restore find the firmware you downloaded and try it from that. If that doesnt work just take it to a apple genius bar.

16. army91c macrumors 6502a

+1

17. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

That is probably the easiest solution.

18. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

I promise you guys that I have tried the DFU mode ten million times..

this video by someone is what my phone looks like..I can't get out of it what so ever.

This is NOT me by the way on either video. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm9Lnpc27Tg&feature=related

except..I get this little guy popping up and itunes won't recognize my phone..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaDQ7ZYf1xQ

its like my phone isn't even connected.

so I have iTunes up with all my old phones info..and a new iPhone that wont get out of the recovery loop..fantastic.

I really don't want to go up to apple again because well they took back my iPhone 3G and gave me a new one..when I was out of warranty and they didn't charge me 199..im scared if I take it up there tomorrow they will charge me..and Im broke at the moment.

so If I can fix this at home..for free that would be awesome

19. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Try it on a different computer then. It might just be the PC that is causing the issue, or its USB Port.

20. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

If you look on the link to the first video you posted there is a video response and a link in the description of how to fix it. You might want to try that.

21. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

I just did it..and my phone was in DFU Mode..you know how I know..

because the screen is black and instead of iTunes detecting my phone..I get the same pop up saying

USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED. I keep holding down the home..and nothing comes up on iTunes..just the pop up saying that the computer isn't going to detect it.

soooo I have tried this link 500 times. I will check on another computer tomorrow to see if maybe its just my computer. This sucks, and I really can't believe this hasn't happened to people..I know it has to jailbreakers..but I wasn't even trying to jailbreak my phone..I was restoring it and iTunes gave me an error in the middle of it..and ever sense then..my computer doesn't even pick up that I have an iPhone.

22. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Well it seems after everything you have tried you might need to go to an apple store.

23. paul880417 macrumors newbie

try this

u r using a pc or a mac? if its a pc running on xp, make sure these three services have been actived.They r Messager, Terminal service and Talent.

open them and 1604 can be fixed. BTW, do that in recovery mode, not DFU.

sorry for my english coz im not a native speaker.:)

24. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

I am using windows XP..where exactly are those 3 services..because I can't find them...and if I am correct they are

Messager
    Terminal Serivce
    and Talent?

25. paul880417 macrumors newbie

yep they r. try this. right click on "my computer" and chose "management", and chose "service" in the pop-up window. and u can find them.