iPhone 3g S? A new iPhone? Nah... here is how i compare it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

I have been reading many post recently pro 3G S and against it. Even if some are against or pro the "New iPhone" we all agree the real update was the software part even if AT&T is cutting some features.

So after reading all this post i agree with most of the people saying is just a small camera upgrade and the processor. Some minor improvements like the anti finger print screen and other minor features. After analyzing the situation i look the iPhone 3G S like the Sport version of a car for example the toyota Corolla and the corolla S (sport).

Apple is selling the 3G S like the new Gen Phone and is just an S version of the 2008 3G the same maybe faster like a corolla S and it almost looks the same..

The 3G S is just a 2nd Gen 2008 S type.... Even the name reflects that.

2. Versus macrumors member

More like a Dodge Neon and SRT-4. Same chasis, sure. Insides, not so much...

3. genmic macrumors regular

I agree with Versus - the distinction is greater.

Think Mercedes C300 and C63 AMG. Same body, but the AMG is twice as much and twice as fast.

4. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Exactly. Apple even kept the same name. They knew it wasn't much of a bump and they indicated that. It's not a big upgrade, just adding an extra trim above the normal.

It's ridiculous how some are trying so hard to justify their purchases. In the end they know what they have, and they know its not much. Argue all they like, they know what they got. :rolleyes:

5. Rox1256 macrumors newbie

Ok, what would have made it that much more of an upgrade then? After all its really just a phone correct??

6. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, and i choose the Corolla S because the S still i think it reflects my point better. I was so anxious on upgrading my 3G been do the first day line until the keynote... disappointed. Still i think is great for those who don't have an iPhone but they need to cut off those regular prices that are being rumored.

7. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well for me atleast my most do requirements to upgrade were:

Better screen (oled)
    New design
    Upgraded camera
    Space upgrade
    procesor

Some optional but i would not care.

way better camera 5 Mpixels example
    in front video chat camera

and many other do-able upgrades mention on many threads.

But this is just complaining... I just wanted to establish how i analyze it, I will just wait 4th gen, i love the iPhone :D

8. charltonx macrumors member

Yeah, come the 19th they'll have a bloody nice phone. I'm happy with my 3G and I'll wait until next summer, even though I'll be upgrade eligible in December, but even I can see that the 3Gs is a very nice phone and will, in my opinion, be the best on the market.

9. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I am a superficial person.

I have to admit that if the case were to be new, with say the matte back and without the scratch-attracting bezel, I would buy.

I fancy there are plenty of superficial people like myself and I believe Apple made a bad decision not updating the external design.

10. Rox1256 macrumors newbie

I understand, I just feel people expect to much from apple on an already really solid phone. Sure OLED screen would be nice but I thought that tech was pretty expensive, and sure a higher megapixel camera would be nice. I don't understand why so many wanted a design upgrade, I thought most people liked the design. Look at it this way, if you could get the phone for 199 you would upgrade??

11. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

For 199 I would (assuming they would make me extend my 3 year contract). For say 499? Never. In my view, at that price a waste of money.

12. Rox1256 macrumors newbie

You would really pay all that money for a matte back cover.. Look send your phone to me and 199 and ill make it matte for you ;)

13. mathewr macrumors 6502

im using the original iphone so thats why im upgrading. if i already had a 3g i def would not be upgrading. i actually wish i upgraded last yr and would be inline with 2010.

14. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

You too are harbouring the probably unrealistic expectation that the 4th edition of the iPhone will be a blockbuster? :)

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You can't blame others for your own imagination.

The keynote gave me exactly what I was expecting to happen. The question is, why were your expectations so unrealistic?

16. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

This won't come until AT&T gets their act together on their pathetic network.

17. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It won't come ever, unless the market changes dramatically.
    Nobody will use video calling on a cell phone. It's just impractical.

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Do we really need another one of these threads?

Why do people treat MacRumors forums like their personal blog?

19. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The 3G S has twice the ram, a processor with twice the power, and a far more powerful GPU as well. And it even gets better battery life.

If the iPhone 3G was a honda civic with a V4 engine. The iPhone 3GS is a civic with a V8, turbo charged AND improved gas milage to boot. I would buy the latter version everytime.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i drive a 1990 celica with an i4 engine. im sure i can manage lol

21. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

What harm is it doing? The site is just as useful as it has always been and what is required is some selectivity when it comes to what one reads and what one replies to.

This forum is what it is, hardly a site designed to create world peace or find a cure for cancer.

22. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

It's also ridiculous how some people try to justify the purchases they can't afford (or don't want).

It's NOT a little bump. It's a new processor--completely new architecture. 600MHz vs the original 400 MHz may seem like a 200 MHz bump, but it isn't. A new chip clocked at 400 would waste an original iPhone or iPhone 3G chip clocked at 400 MHz.

The new GPU allows the 3GS to handle processes the other iPhones can't. It really is a huge technological bump from where the 3G is.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3579&p=1

23. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Accept, developers aren't going to alienate a 40,000,000 consumer base in order to take full advantage of the S with a much, much smaller consumer base.

So you have your brand new V8 Civic (what a laugh that is by the way), stuck on the same highway with the same speed limit as the V4 civic. Only your civic has a compass, and voice commands. :eek:

It will be great next year though, when the newest iPhone comes out and the 3G and 2G will pretty much be phased out. However that "Civic" will have a V12 with with multiple turbo chargers.

24. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

Probably true, but this very idea proves what a leap and bound the 3GS is--developers *could* create apps that simply won't work to their fullest potential, or effectively at all, on the original iPhone or the 3G.

25. dagomike macrumors 65816

Good job making yourself feel good about not buying the latest/greatest.

I wouldn't pay $400 for it either, but that doesn't mean it's not a great upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.