iPhone 3G still LAME

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by burro, Jul 11, 2008.

1. burro macrumors member

I am a Mac Geek, and an Apple evangelist, and I dearly want to want an iPhone.

But I can't -- basically, the feature set is still awful.

The iPhone, is, at last, a phone with an operating system that could make it a real pocket computer (Newton, anyone?), and that could realize the marriage of phone and PDA in a way that no Palm or Blackberry phone ever could...

But guess what... it doesn't.

Sadly, a large screen and a big hard-drive are about the only features the iPhone adds over many phones that have been around for 2-3+ years.

Your Palm or Blackberry phone still does a heck of a lot more. For less money.

Want some quick reasons why I am still waiting for a "real" iPhone?

How about these:

* You cannot use a bluetooth keyboard with the iPhone -- what is the freaking point of all this OS ability if you cannot even do efficient data entry?

* You cannot listen to music on a bluetooth headset -- you have to remain wired to the device.

* As long as we're talking about bluetooth, the "Browse (BlueTooth) Device..." feature that enables a Mac computer to hands-on transfers of data via bluetooth with just about any modern bluetooth device does not work with the iPhone -- with iPhone you have to do all your syncing via "MobileMe"/iTunes.

* And all those clever accessories for the iPod...? Like the ones that let you use your iPod as a mobile voice recorder...? Foh-gedduh-boudit!! They don't exist.

• Puh-lease -- the thing does not even have a radio.

* Sure, you can buy third-party games, and one or two *slightly* useful programs for the iPhone, but nothing that would really make the iPhone any more useful than a Motorola V551 or a Sony Ericsson z750, in terms of real-world productivity. It is especially sad that Apple does not live up to paltry competition when the iPhone could easily do so much more! For example, where is the iPhone client for FileMaker?? Doesn't Apple still own Filemaker? The only thing the iPhone seems to have inherited from FileMaker is an utter disregard for what the public really needs. At least sync with Bento, for crying out loud.

• You MUST by a third-party case, if you want to put the iPhone in your pocket without screwing up the screen, or if you want to hold it without it slipping out of your hand. The 3g seems even flimsier in the hand than the first iPhone release.

• Battery life is low compared to many other cellular phones.

• Reception and transmission quality are still *substantially* better in MANY other phones

• The new screen appears to have a yellowish tint

• The iPhone is advertised as having Wi-Fi -- but the Apple representatives I asked say that does NOT mean one can access the internet through wireless networks in your vicinity -- you must still go through AT&T's data services plan ($30+/month). So if you don't connect to the internet all the time, and don't mind only connecting when you are in the vicinity of wireless networks in order to save $400/year, you are just plain out of luck. Thankfully, they are wrong about that, at least. You *are* required to activate the $30 plan when you buy the 3G iPhone, but Apple and AT&T reps say you CAN cancel the data plan the minute you walk out of the store, and the iPhone CAN access wireless networks and the internet without connecting via AT&T data services. (I am waiting to see if there is not a hitch in that which causes one to be charged for data services by mistake in this case... just a little cynical about AT&T, I guess.)

I am certain Apple will sell over the top with the 3G iPhones. There are plenty of people who will use it as a mobile web-browser, to listen (through wired headsets) to some of their tunes, to watch (teeny tiny) movies, and to waste time playing super-basic games.

Nevertheless, Apple should be ashamed of itself for so drastically limiting the productivity features that would make the iPhone really useful, and the flexibility to which the Apple faithful have become accustomed, and which they deserve.

For people who would like a phone+PDA in order to get real work done, they are still mostly out of luck when it comes to the iPhone 3G.

Me. I am still waiting until Apple gets it right. :confused:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

A lot of those points seem pretty picky, would anyone really want a bluetooth keyboard?
    There is a voice recorder app.
    The app store has been live for a day, you might want to give the devs a chance before you write it off.

3. coolb0yalex macrumors member

that's great to knoe. LMAO.
    i proudly thinks the iPhone reigns supreme above all the previous phones i've used. The UI is both intuitive and innovative.

4. tamakin macrumors member

Jailbreak it and you'll have everything you need and you'll stop complaining. I have FREE live TV through Orb. I have Sirius and XM radio for FREE. So before you stop complaining, do you some research buddy boy.

5. alejovh1 macrumors regular

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Points are valid but also insignificant. None of them impede the usefulness of the iPhone. It is far superior to any other phone on the market. You really can't understand the greatness until you hold it in your hand and use it for a few months. No amount of reading on the internet, or playing with it in the store will help you understand.

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

9. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Yea I vote you go lock yourself in a box for 4 years and then maybe there will be something that will match your oh so important specifications. The iPhone 3G is a revolutionary device in every aspect and it has forever changed the playing field for cellular telephony.

Edit: I actually read through your whole post this time and yea, now i know your a complete idiot.

10. DamFu macrumors regular

DamFu

Wow, how sorry of a person must you be to have taken the time to type all that out. What kind of "efficient data entry" could you possibly need to do on a phone? Are you planning to rewrite War and Peace or something?

11. tamakin macrumors member

Hahhaah I think he typed that out on a blackberry with his "bluetooth keyboard" LOL

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

13. El Magnificante macrumors member

14. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Apple has got it right. Now, they just have to get it righter :)

15. Dermot81 macrumors member

Until there is a phone that can display web pages like safari...there is no match to the iphone.

Also, all of the development talent is going to start to gravitate towards iphone apps now. Think of how much money a developer could make by writing a decent program that fills a void...i.e. divx player for iphone. Most of your concerns will get adressed soon through software.

Also, the 3g iphone has a "yellowish tint", but every other color is substantially brighter than the 2g iphone. The contrast is much, much higher.

16. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

um if no one pointed out what they didn't like about the v1 iphone then we would still have crap like recessed headphone jack. in case you didnt notice, if enough people complain about something it usually gets results....

17. dombookpro macrumors member

bloody hell... there's about 2 of those points that has any remote validity. The lack of bluetooth device pairing is one... er... hang on, just re-reading... nope, that was it. One valid point, the rest was just bull****. Especially the one about Wifi - is that really true?! In UK you can connect to any WiFi hotspot that you can get access to. But hey, if you don't wanna buy one... then don't.

Next anti-iphone troll please get in the orderly queue. Thank you

D

18. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

With a MacRumors join date of like, today, and a first post just complaining about the lack of features that you specifically want in a phone, you make yourself out to be a Windows Mobile fanboy instead of a Mac Geek... ie, a forum troll.

False. The feature set is pretty ***** amazing. Obviously, considering the overload of people wanting, buying, activating, and already owning iPhones. Just because it doesn't meet your (absurdly) specific set of nerd requirements doesn't mean that it's awful by any stretch of the imagination.

Actually, with the latest (2.0) software, it will eventually destroy the Blackberry. The enterprise features, the software (that's already at, what, 800+ applications and growing daily?) is easy to use (and pretty darn sexy looking, as well)... and it already destroys Palm. Seriously... Palm is on its way out the door (if it's not dead already... and Treo's are lame so hush).

Seriously? SRSLY? Are you joking me? Who seriously sits at a phone to do data entry? What, are you planning on typing out spreadsheets and word processing documents on your cell phone? Give me a break... everybody knows that those retarded bluetooth keyboards that actually connect to cell phones are a TOTAL niche market. Apple would never be that tacky. I'm amazed anyone actually sells those things for any phone. That's what laptops are for... and it's not Apple's fault if you can't afford a laptop.

Is that seriously an issue? Even if it is (which I will never understand), I'm sure this will be addressed in a future issue. Bluetooth isn't the most secure form of wireless, though, so I respect Apple's decision to not include it as an option for listening to music. It drains the battery enough when used just for phone calls.

Once again, security issues via bluetooth.

Yeah, check out the App Store on iTunes, there's already at least half a dozen applications that you can use as a voice recorder.

A radio. A radio? Like... AM/FM? SRSLY? :rolleyes: Oh, no, you can't listen to really crappy Top 40 Linkin Park or Avril Lavigne. Darn. As far as internet radio goes, however, there's a Pandora application for the iPhone.

Again, look at the App Store... I'm assuming you haven't done so if you're writing all this bull crap. There are a ton of useful applications there already. I'm not saying that they're any more or less useful than applications you would find for a Blackberry or a Palm device, but they're there... and they probably all look 100x better than they would for any other device. I also appreciate that since they're on the App Store, they've been selected because they're (relatively) good quality. The last thing iPhone customers need is another site like Handango or the like, where there's 30,000 applications, but 600 of them are Solitaire and 375 are versions of Sudoku. We're (apparently) getting the best of the best (even if there are 8 versions of the bible that cost an exhorbitant amount... Christian freaks... but I digress).

The Apps in the App Store aren't the end all, be all of applications. More will be coming out daily. Calm yourself.

The first iPhone is amazingly resiliant. I've dropped my phone on concrete at least three times from about waist level, and not so much as a scratch. I've also dropped it on carpeting a few times for tabletop height... no damage at all. While I will agree that the plastic in the new iPhone seems like a step backwards in way of design for Apple, it also apparently drastically improves bluetooth reception with headsets, as well as 3G/Edge reception.

Coming from a Blackberry Pearl and a Motorola RAZR, I disagree. The iPhone battery is SO much better than ANY Motorola phone I've ever had, and easily better than the Blackberry Pearl.

Have you read any of the reviews of the reception in the new iPhone? Clearly you haven't. However, yes, I will give you that reception in the old iPhone leaves much to be desired... especially when talking via the bluetooth headset.

Problem solved with the official iPhone 2.0 software released today. Search MacRumors, you'll read all about it.

Are you mad? Like, seriously... are you insane? Tell me how AT&T would have ANYTHING to do with accessing random wifi networks? This is the most retarded statement I've heard all day... it's maddening how stupid people can be. You only need AT&T's data plan to access the internet via EDGE or 3G... NOT WIFI.

Give it a little time. With the 2.0 software, the enterprise functionality and developers constantly developing new applications for the iphone, it's going to eventually beat out the blackberry in way of productivity... however, the blackberry will always be around for those who complain that they NEED a plastic keyboard because they need to feel what they're typing to their employees while they're driving around in their SUV's drinking a macciato. o_O

Good... Keep waiting until you feel Apple "gets it right"... I wouldn't want to be seen having the same phone as a complete babboon.

19. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Yep I am sold on the 3G Iphone...I am going to get mine tommorrow at the apple store here in San Antonio if they have them in Stock..if not I will get one...i am sold. I am comming from sprint with a Palm Centro...i know....i know..

The Iphone 3g is the best phone on the market...sure it is not perfect but it still is the best phone...

They will get MMS and Stereo bluetooth in the next Iphone...

Sprint will probably be dead by this time next year...

The Apple App store will kill off all other smart phones...because all the developers that will make a phone app will make them for the Iphone since the Iphone really is a world phone...so me a Sprint Instinct that can have apps or is a world phone?

Apple did it right, and I am not even a fanyboy yet.

20. fat phil macrumors 6502

ohhh I dunno - mine lives in my front jeans pocket with all my coins (not keys, that's asking for it), and I treat it pretty disrespectfully, but it hasn't got a single blemish on it after 8 months of abuse.

Agree with you on most of your points though. My frustration is still no filesystem; no copy & paste; no attaching multiple images to emails; no rubberised back (totally agree about feeling like you're going to drop it - it's putting me off the black plastic 3G); no video (!!!???).

iPhone sucks. And it rocks. Dammit, life sucks! Let's have a party!

:)

21. passingXstorm macrumors regular

22. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

This guys clearly a troll and not worth the effort. ;)

23. passingXstorm macrumors regular

Did you really feel the need to include this statement?

24. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

25. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli