MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

113303-store_300.png

Image from Gizmodo
Preparations are underway for the iPhone 3G launch this Friday at AT&T and Apple stores nationwide. Gizmodo posts photos of oversized iPhone 3G store displays (pictured above) that demonstrates the functionality of the iPhone. Apple had similar units on display for the original iPhone launch, but these have been updated to reflect the black back case of the iPhone 3G.

AT&T stores are due to get iPhone 3G demo units starting tomorrow:
Beginning July 8th you will receive the new iPhone 3G demo devices at your store to enhance your sales process. These devices will be used the same as your 2G demo devices in your sales process but now you can demonstrate the additional capabilities of the iPhone 3G including the App Store
The leaked sales memo also details that employees are to download apps from the App Store on the morning of July 11th and that the phones are to be activated on July 10th. So, while, the demo units may be in AT&T stores tomorrow, they may not be available for public use until launch day.

Apple held their retail meeting last night, and details have been slow to trickle out. We've heard that more details will be available throughout the week but several employees believe that they will open at 8am to mirror AT&T's launch time. (Apple apparently did not dictate an exact time so it may be left up to the discretion of the individual Apple stores.) As expected, iPhones will be activated in-store and must be paid for by check, credit card or gift card. Cash may be used to purchase gift cards, however, which in turn could be used to buy the iPhone. Credit checks, of course, will be performed at time of sale. A few of these details are also corroborated at Macenstein.

Article Link

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Damn. I can't decide if I should go to an Apple Store or an AT&T store. I'm afraid the Apple folks will screw something up in the activation process. And I'm afraid the AT&T store won't have as much stock.

Comment

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Friend of mine works at apple retail, he said they weren't told whether it was an 8am open time or not and that all the mobile checkout devices they have will be able to walk through the activation and plan selection for the phone. So it really shouldn't be possible for them to screw it up, as it's just a walkthrough for them. Check Credit, check what plan, phone activates. Just like iTunes but an apple employee does it.

Comment

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Damn. I can't decide if I should go to an Apple Store or an AT&T store. I'm afraid the Apple folks will screw something up in the activation process. And I'm afraid the AT&T store won't have as much stock.

I would say for all EXISTING ATT customers to go to an ATT store so that Apple doesnt screw something up. All new customers should go to the Apple Store.

Comment

Pwned

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Washington DC
Arn, first, thank you for this website, it's the only thing that keeps me going at work! What is the general consensus on supply? Will it meet the demand? Anyone have experience from last years launch, I heard Apple stores had no problem meeting demand last year so can anyone confirm that? This week is crawling by so I hope they open at 8 because I don't know if I could sit at work for 8 hours on Friday!

Comment

theGentleman

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2006
White or Black?

i would have wasted 6 hours today trying to pre-order through the o2 store if i had seen the units 'in the flesh', but as i havent i feel unable to choose which model i want.... anyone else share my indecision?

Comment

lightmyway

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
Apple Store - Nashville

I called the Apple Store in Nashville yesterday, and they will be opening at 10 am. I suspect that Apple Stores inside malls (like this one) will stick to their normal opening times, while free-standing ones might open earlier.

Comment

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I called the Apple Store in Nashville yesterday, and they will be opening at 10 am. I suspect that Apple Stores inside malls (like this one) will stick to their normal opening times, while free-standing ones might open earlier.

Really? A lot of Malls open their doors early for "mall walkers" and for other various reasons. Also, I would think Apple would have the clout to get permission to open their store early.

Comment

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
This is great, one step closer to the actual release. And to those questioning which store, existing should probably go to an AT&T store just so nothing is messed up, and new could go to either, but I would recommend AT&T, just my standing on it.

Comment

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Is the Check or Credit card only thing for Apple store only or does it go for ATT stores as well?

Im Curious to know what is wrong with good old cash? Is it because of credit check and with cash no way for them to to charge you in the future if ya default? :confused:

Comment

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
You would think they would like to get cash or check instead of credit card because of the whole percentage thing they have to pay to the credit card companies its like 3% in some cases that 2 to 3$ per iphone purchase they will lose. Thats alot of money when your talking several hundred thousand iphones.

Comment

chilibball

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
I saw one of those models

I was at an apple store and i saw them putting it up. It looked pretty cool and there were people standing around watching the man put it up.

Comment

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
CT
Im Curious to know what is wrong with good old cash? Is it because of credit check and with cash no way for them to to charge you in the future if ya default? :confused:

You can get a prepaid credit card from CVS or any pharmacy or Walmart type places and just pay with that, no big deal. They are just trying to track how many people buy.

Comment

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Why do people seem to think existing customers would be better off at AT&T stores? I am going to an Apple store and am an existing customer. I would think the steps for that would be easier, especially if the activation only version of iTunes is like what we used at home. You enter the existing customers information, slap the data plan on the line and send them packin'...

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
One detail I'm trying to get confirmation on is the fate of the current AT&T non-iPhone users. Those people need to qualify for upgrade eligibility and may need to go to AT&T stores to get an iPhone 3G.

arn

Comment

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
You can get a prepaid credit card from CVS or any pharmacy or Walmart type places and just pay with that, no big deal. They are just trying to track how many people buy.

There's gotta be another answer, cause IM sure they ring up all sales via a cash register or some kind of point of sale system. Hence, they could track sales very easily.

But, I do thank you for your reply! Have a great day!

Comment

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA

probably just use the old credit card and get the points for a vacation or something. I guess it will be quicker that way we dont have to wait around for change, if they run out and stuff.

Comment

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
One detail I'm trying to get confirmation on is the fate of the current AT&T non-iPhone users. Those people need to qualify for upgrade eligibility and may need to go to AT&T stores to get an iPhone 3G.

arn

Oooo, good point.

Question... Do you think existing AT&T iPhone customers will have any problem at Apple stores? I plan on bringing my current iPhone and a printout of the page showing my upgrade eligibility to try and avoid any issues, but who knows...

Thanks Arn! Great reporting, as usual! :D

Comment

slippery-pete

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2007
Why do people seem to think existing customers would be better off at AT&T stores? I am going to an Apple store and am an existing customer. I would think the steps for that would be easier, especially if the activation only version of iTunes is like what we used at home. You enter the existing customers information, slap the data plan on the line and send them packin'...

I was thinking the same. I am an existing customer and plan to go to my local Apple Store

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
If you start new AT&T phone service, rather than transfer an existing mobile number, do you get any choice of the phone number, other than the area code? I've gotten conflicting answers when I asked that at various AT&T stores, some saying they'll assign you a single phone number with no choices, others saying you'll have a list to choose from when it comes up on their screen.

I've been told by two of them not to both coming in early for a credit check. if you have good credit, it should take only a minute or two.

Some of the salespeople are blasé about it, but some seem genuinely excited about having a Big Event in their store.

Comment

saminsocks

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I was going to go to an Apple store just because I'd rather support them than the AT&T store (I know Apple gets the same amount regardless but it will still affect the sales reports of the stores and I like the people at my local Apple store). But I read somewhere that if you have a business account it's better to go to AT&T. I'm hoping I can still get my discount on the voice plan even though I'm not counting on a discount for the data plan.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.